Electro Stimulation Ward > Power Conditioning

State of the Art Power-Conditioner

<< < (9/9)

Folsom:
I thought pretty much no one liked Halcro's first amps...

P.I.:

--- Quote from: Folsom on August 07, 2018, 09:31:29 PM ---I thought pretty much no one liked Halcro's first amps...

--- End quote ---
Don’t know first hand.  I heard that they were sterile like the later
Krell offerings that I thought were some of the most overpriced nasty sounding amps I ever heard.  I just wanted to hear them.  The tech made sense in the PS end of the equation, but I just didn’t grok the amp implementation. 

TrueAudio:
Other interesting reading that has relevance here:

Ncore Technology White Paper

https://web.archive.org/web/20131101191027/https://www.hypex.nl/docs/papers/ncore%20wp.pdf

https://www.devialet.com/en-eu/expert-pro-power-supply/

"Expert Pro uses a revolutionary switch-mode power supply to take you from absolute silence to explosive dynamics. At lightning speed. This ultra high-performance power supply method feeds the rest of the system, achieving energy efficiency rates of 90%.

This intelligent dual power supply runs on a microprocessor capable of adjusting in real time. Traditionally isolated, power factor correction (PFC) and regulation functions are fused into a single revolutionary single stage structure. This allows for heightened power density and enhanced sensitivity to shifts in energy requirements.

The control loop is ultra-quick and particularly well suited to audio engineering. Expert Pro systems can instantly shift from 0 to 4000 Watts while sustaining an average running power of 1200W. Output voltage is variable by a factor of 8 from +/- 10V to +/-80V and constantly changes to minimize overall thermal dissipation.

A load balancing controller ensures even load sharing between reservoir capacities across different power rails, doubling the available energy supply.

Power supply relies on a central transformer based on planar technology. It serves two purposes: spreading energy in packets and ensuring the electrical safety of the product by isolating the hazardous areas. Compact and perfectly symmetrical, the central transformer is far superior to traditional solutions in terms of efficiency and primary/secondary pollution.

Power supply is unaffected by the mains and runs silently with remarkably low electromagnetic disturbance. It is universal and compliant with all power grid supplies: 90-240Vac – 50/60Hz. Driven by a microprocessor, power supply is automatically protected from anomalies including surges, dips and overloads. On a practical level, functional range is stretched out even further to 50 - 270Vac ~ 40/70 Hz, making your Expert Pro available for use anywhere in the world."

P.I.:
Suffice it to say that I'm not much of a SMPS fan.  In the world on consumer electronics they are the cheapest (and I mean "cheapest" wat to power just about anything.  They are spit out of chinese factories by the millions and are responsible for much of the line pollution that we have to contend with in trying to extract the best possible performance from out systems.  Its is not only the backfed EMF from these pieces of junk, but also the fact that they are tiny little radion transmitters.

Rant over.

There are some SMPS that are very, very good.  The M-Core is an example of a very good supply.  When doe right they can be incredibly dynamic, powerful and clean.  It is too bad that most audio manufacturers buy off of the shelf junk because it is inexpensive instead of hunting out or designing good ones.  My hat is off to the designers that create the good ones.

I'm still a linear supply guy when possible.  Especially when it is a good stiff supply mated to vacuum tubes!

rollo:
  Well is that not what the prototype BussStation does? aAdevice that eliminates that noise from our electrical system ? Yes it is. Dave start your engine and SELL THESE THINGS. Just improves every darn thing.

charles

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version