Author Topic: Burning in Capacitors  (Read 3484 times)

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Burning in Capacitors
« on: October 18, 2022, 10:51:01 AM »
I've got several pairs of caps in for potential crossover upgrades.
So, about burn in...

I'll be on vacation for about two weeks soon, and I'm thinking about playing white noise through them in parallel to a midwoofer.  Will this be effective?
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: Burning in Capacitors
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2022, 01:11:11 PM »
I've got several pairs of caps in for potential crossover upgrades.
So, about burn in...

I'll be on vacation for about two weeks soon, and I'm thinking about playing white noise through them in parallel to a midwoofer.  Will this be effective?
What amp are you going to use?

Generally speaking this should work well. When I was in my tryig many capacitors mode, I took and old analog SS receiver mistuned to where the music was breaking up and I had resistor banks where I would be able to use both series connections and parallel connections.  You could hear the music sing from the caps being microphonic.  That is when I started mechanically damping components used in internal crossovers.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2022, 02:55:10 PM »
I can use a little chip amp and a tuner, or a HT receiver. I could even leave my old Soundcraftsmen amp hooked to a Carver Pre/Tuner.   Is higher volume better or does it matter?  Source? White noise or Beethoven's 5th on repeat? I'll set it on a tile floor with nothing around it... just in case. 
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2022, 06:20:33 PM »
I can use a little chip amp and a tuner, or a HT receiver. I could even leave my old Soundcraftsmen amp hooked to a Carver Pre/Tuner.   Is higher volume better or does it matter?  Source? White noise or Beethoven's 5th on repeat? I'll set it on a tile floor with nothing around it... just in case.
White noise is equal energy in each octave, pink noise decreases in amplitude with frequency and music has ~50% of its energy below 300-350Hz.  I always use white noise OR an old Purist Audio break-in disc that has clicks, pops, frequency sweeps, triangular and square waves mixed into a constant amplitude white noise track.  That way there are transients embedded into the track.

When do you leave?
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2022, 07:41:58 PM »

When do you leave?
Saturday. Your welcome to come house sit. Listen to all the records you want, but stay out of the wine cellar...
We fly to Germany, then cruise the Danube to Budapest and spend a couple of more days there.  We had a trip to Spain all set when Covid rocked the world.  We are looking forward to traveling again.   
« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 07:46:44 PM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2022, 10:26:31 PM »

When do you leave?
Saturday. Your welcome to come house sit. Listen to all the records you want, but stay out of the wine cellar...
We fly to Germany, then cruise the Danube to Budapest and spend a couple of more days there.  We had a trip to Spain all set when Covid rocked the world.  We are looking forward to traveling again.
Check your snail mail before you leave...

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2022, 12:29:40 PM »
I've got two 6.8 caps, two 1.0 caps, and four .1 caps to break in.   Can I parallel them all in ~ 16 uF and put them in front of a 5.5" 8 ohm midwoofer to play while I'm away for vacation (and just another midwoofer on the other channel)?  Is it better to put 7 uF per channel into two speakers?  High, medium, or low volume?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 12:31:13 PM by S Clark »
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2022, 03:35:19 PM »
I've got two 6.8 caps, two 1.0 caps, and four .1 caps to break in.   Can I parallel them all in ~ 16 uF and put them in front of a 5.5" 8 ohm midwoofer to play while I'm away for vacation (and just another midwoofer on the other channel)?  Is it better to put 7 uF per channel into two speakers?  High, medium, or low volume?
I would just parallel them... but I take the easy way. :D

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2022, 03:47:19 PM »
I would just parallel them... but I take the easy way. :D
I like easy.   :D
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2022, 12:24:16 PM »
Any feedback yet on cap swaps?

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2022, 06:51:21 PM »
Sorry, no.  I'm over Covid sort of... but my laziness seems to have gotten worse.  The crossovers have been pulled, and I'm looking at internal hook up wire for inside the cabinets.  I took some shortcuts when I built the speakers years ago, and I'm going to go back and re wire them. 
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2022, 09:43:37 PM »
Sorry, no.  I'm over Covid sort of... but my laziness seems to have gotten worse.  The crossovers have been pulled, and I'm looking at internal hook up wire for inside the cabinets.  I took some shortcuts when I built the speakers years ago, and I'm going to go back and re wire them.
Oh, crap!  Sorry you got C19.  It sucks and my lethargy lasted 2-3 weeks all 3 times.  Lots of water, my friend.

There is always the recommendations made a few days ago.  The resveratrol, zinc, D and other regimens will encourage autophagy to help clear the leftovers.