Author Topic: what’s your philosophy of voicing a system?  (Read 16263 times)

Offline TopRound‎

• Certifiable
Re: what’s your philosophy of voicing a system?
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2022, 06:50:34 PM »
We are not listening to live music, we are listening to recordings in a studio, with microphones and recording engineers.
Ever been to a live music event that sounded bad? I have.

I was at one concert in a modern church, all angles, stone and glass, the acoustics were awful, it hurt...

I get tired of hearing the same old dribble without any real thought behind it, do audiophiles ever grow up?
Do audiophiles actually like music, that is a better topic.
Ever listen to the music played at audio shows???dreck....

Can I start a topic like this or will I be banned...again
System: Nothing....gave it all up, but building a few things for my kids...vinyl, tubes and Gan Fet!

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2022, 06:56:12 PM »
We are not listening to live music, we are listening to recordings in a studio, with microphones and recording engineers.
Ever been to a live music event that sounded bad? I have.

I was at one concert in a modern church, all angles, stone and glass, the acoustics were awful, it hurt...

I get tired of hearing the same old dribble without any real thought behind it, do audiophiles ever grow up?
Do audiophiles actually like music, that is a better topic.
Ever listen to the music played at audio shows???dreck....

Can I start a topic like this or will I be banned...again

It’s ok with me and I’ll let CEO Jeremy speak for himself
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline TopRound‎

• Certifiable
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2022, 06:57:29 PM »
this post has been read 818 times!!
how is this possible, there only 4 or 5 people on this site

bots!
System: Nothing....gave it all up, but building a few things for my kids...vinyl, tubes and Gan Fet!

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2022, 07:05:32 PM »
this post has been read 818 times!!
how is this possible, there only 4 or 5 people on this site

bots!
There are a lot of lurkers here, but 818 reads does seem a tad on the l o n g side.  I haven't been posting much lately due to family health issues.  I simply don't have the time to get into long winded circular arguments, besides - no one changes their minds and that is time I'll never get back.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline TopRound‎

• Certifiable
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2022, 07:15:55 PM »
PI your a riot!!!!
You hit the nail on the head!!

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • All we need is music, sweet music
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2022, 07:31:25 PM »
We are not listening to live music, we are listening to recordings in a studio, with microphones and recording engineers.....

Except live performances, recorded live. As in a member of the audience using their own microphone and recording gear. I have plenty of those, many of which are absolutely phenomenal.

Best.

Hal

@doug s.

You may have posted your previous comment in the wrong thread.
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling
http://halr.x10.mx/other.html

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2022, 08:02:19 PM »
i agree w/most of what you're saying, however for the end listener, i've always felt, and still do feel that the single-most important component in any playback system is the room.

Hi Doug.

I recognize you from days gone by via audiogon.

In any case, sorry to disagree with you. If you check my post number 28 in this thread, dated 12/4/22 8:45:54PM, I do mention the room, as you also do.

However, make no mistake as to my opinion regarding the room pecking order, reiterated herein this post. The following prevails, IMO, in the order as listed.

1 - your own personal hearing acuity and preference. ... a lot of subjectivity and objectivity involved.

2. - the recording itself. what it is you're trying to reproduce after it's been performed live or in the studio, and the quality of the recording.

3 - the environment. this includes the room, dimensions of room, treatments such as absorption and diffusion, and environmental factors such as temperature , humidity ,EMI, RFI etc. Also includes quiescent noise floor of surrounding environment.

4 - speakers. This includes everything in the way of transducers. Their type, placement and the number thereof. Crossovers vs no crossovers. Dipole, box, open back, planar, etc. Also extremely important is your proximity to the transducers when listening. This includes on/off axis listening, near field or far field.

5 - the topology of ones system. This includes whether it's analog , digital , solid state, tube or a combination hybrid of those . Also can include objective measurements data.

6 - other variables such as acts of God, cables, electrical supply, etc. Balanced power has a profound impact on the sound of ones system. Not better or worse, but immediately and readily/noticably different.

Best.

Hal
GoldenEar Triton Reference (pair), Musical Fidelity M6si, Schiit Yggdrasil-OG-B, Oppo UDP-205, Emotiva ERC-3, LG OLED65C9PUA, Salamander Synergy Triple Unit SL20, Audeze LCD-X, GIK acoustic paneling

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2022, 08:09:59 PM »
re: taping shows, i'd also love a link to that - especially dead tapes.  when in college, i had roommates who would be at any ded show within 24 hr's drive, w/their hi end mics and nak decks making tapes, and once a week or so, they'd be getting tapes in the mail from folks they'd met, and sending tapes out.  i think they had something like >200 dead tapes, and this was in the late 70's.  because i was into little feat, they also started collecting lttle feat tapes, and trying to record a few of their shows; i think they had about 50...

thanks!

doug s.

A link you say/ask/write?

Pick a Grateful Dead show. I can then let you know the various sources available, from which you can choose. I'll then make it available for you and others to download herein this thread.

Yes, I literally have (and listened to) everything.

http://halr.x10.mx/shows.html
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 08:12:34 PM by GDHAL »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2022, 08:27:59 PM »
Re notification, your email address hasn’t changed and you’ve checked your spam and junk folders as well? If still not working, I’ll ask the boss and chief technical wizard Jeremy
 :thumb:

good luck w/the move; keep us posted. those piega 311's would kick serious buna in a small room, if given a bit of breathing room.  the hornings might be a bit much. 

re: not being notified of posts, i'm aware of which boxes to tick to get notified, but it's not happening.  the only box it's telling me to tick now is "unnotify" 😉

best,

doug s.
Hey Doug,

Sorry for my late response. I just saw this today and I normally just tap on  the “show posts since last visit” tab, and not the one below it. Those are some very nice speakers that you have shown. My speakers are either on a boat somewhere in the Atlantic or sitting in customs or who knows where else. The distributor hasn’t been very responsive and I need to follow up on this. I’ve been so busy with moving and I have yet to spend one evening in my home as I’m still waiting for painting and flooring to be completed. My new place has a smaller listening area and it will be a challenge to make things sound good. But that’s a project that is at least 2 to 3 weeks into the future.

As to you not being notified of posts, there should be a notify tab at the bottom, and I would think that would fix the problem.

Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2022, 10:45:43 PM »
There certainly no circle discussion. All follows the laws of science.

"then we have playback.  there is no one single device that plays back recordings that we can hear.  it's a chain.  so, there's really no way to know what's "perfect".  it's a balancing act.  steve is trying to perform a sisyphean task, imo.  because he wants the "perfect" playback chain from stylus (or streamer, or transport, or tape, or computer, or???) to your ear.  way too many things happening between the the time the software hits its first piece of gear to the last release from the actual sound emitter and then head to your ear.  and what is the environment your ear is in, and how does the sound emitter react to that environment?"

>>There are actually no “too many things” between the input to the speakers in my system. Yes it is more difficult for consumers to know what is most accurate. However, I do understand that one must audition as many tube components as possible. Besides my 10A, 11A line preamplifier (I am retired), the Ultra-Verve, the upgraded AR-3, ST 70 from Pro-Musica are  extremely excellent preamps/amps. However, I do not recommend any solid state components. See below the inherent problems one faces, which the RCA Radiotron Designers Handbook, 26+ engineers address
from before 1960.

>>Yes it is quite possible to design a perfectly accurate amp, preamp, even phono stage. Once one gets those and the ics accurate in an absolute sense, then perform the source/speaker/speaker wires/finish room treatments. It is the room that creates the modes, so if the room is quite small, it might be necessary to create a high pass filter to limit modes.

"so, someone may love their ripe amp because their speakers are lean, and an accurate amp doesn't sound as good.  the end result may in fact be "perfect".  or a perfectly naturally sounding speaker may sound like dookie, if it's in a room that's either too hard or too absorbent.  (is there a speaker that sounds perfect regardless of the room it's in?) and, a device may actually measure less than perfect, but more closely sound like the real live unrecorded sound."

>>The end result will never be “perfect using a lean and ripe”. For one, there are many other sonic problems with said lean speakers and said ripe amp. Even Hal mentioned once the sound is compromised, it is not possible to get it back. Two wrongs don’t make a right but cost may limit what one can do.

>>The solution is to rid of as many faults as possible and replace the at fault components with more accurate ones. I mean on my test speakers I am down to 1 part in a 1,000,000. That is between -114db and -120db down and musical differences are clearly heard.

>>References were given above for amp and preamp. Ics one will have to test although it is easy to check if an ic is fairly accurate. (Mine are not shielded so of limited use in other systems.) In a small room, it may be necessary to limit the bass response/modes. If worse comes to worse, a simple RC 6db filter network might be enough. Please make sure the caps and resistor is high quality, such as a Mundorf Supreme.

>>More info on parts and components.

>>All solid state and most tube amplifiers use electrolytic capacitors. An electrolytic capacitor has a DA of around 5. Many electrolytic capacitors are used in solid state amplifiers with their many stages. A few, lower ufd values in tubes.

>>The DA of a good polypropylene capacitor is around 0.02, or 250 times less Dielectric Absorption effect.

>>The ESR of an electrolytic capacitor is many times higher than a good poly cap.

>>Electrolytic capacitors are very temperature sensitive (see graph below), and the
ufd lowers as the frequency increases, both of which affects musical accuracy.
Polys are many times better in both respects .

>>Below are graphs of typical electrolytic capacitors and Poly type capacitors to show
some of the differences which affects musical qualities.

>>With the electrolytic capacitor graph #8. The horizontal X line is temperature, the vertical line Y is uf change, or percentage lost. That change affects the music accuracy.

>>Notice the electrolytic capacitors start curving near the bottom and rise in the 500+ hz range. That is the inductance causing the change in reactance, ESL, starting its dirty work and continuing into the most sensitive area of human hearing on up. Electrolytic capacitors also degrade the dynamics.

>>Figure #9, X line is frequency and Y line is ohms. The poly type capacitors sharply decrease until the hundreds of thousands of hz. That vs 500hz. What an immense difference. (Fig. 8,9 from Picking Capacitors by Walter Jung and Richard Marsh.) Solid state amps use tens of thousands of ufd. Tubes a few hundred at most.

>>While their may be 3-5 tubes in an amp, a SS amp can have a dozen transistors or more. There is much more
than harmonic distortion to consider.

>>Solid state devices all have leakage properties. A 1N914/1N4148, with 1pf capacitance, good for multiple millions of hz will bleed audio through even when biased off. Same with larger devices since there are physical connections vs vacuum between elements of a vacuum tube.

>>Anyone who has performed any testing at all understands how electrolytic capacitors, solid materials negatively affect musical quality in both solid state and tube components. It has been known for decades, with RCA Radiotron Designers Handbook (26 engineers+) addressing the subjects like capacitors etc.

Now we are to believe in magic that musical playback degradation is only minor and not needed in voicing a system. 

Cheers
steve
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 08:10:46 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline TopRound‎

• Certifiable
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2022, 04:48:47 AM »
I think Steve, being an electrical engineer, is voicing his system with an oscilloscope rather than using his ears.
I mean no slight here, I find many people with these technical backgrounds see music in terms of electrons and measurements, hence all the stories about cables making no sonic differences.
When audiophiles talk about synergy they are indeed talking about matching components, a warm amp with lean speakers...
Of course you really can't measure a warm or lean amp to show these attributes but you can hear them.

Some like to use wire with gain, as the supreme example of a preamp. I don't believe it is correct. We use our preamps for much more than a selector switch and volume control. Preamps add to the voicing of a system, and preamps have a sound.

What about the amp/speaker relationship, surely different amps sound different on the same speaker we all know this, and I'm not talking about using 300B's for Maggies.

I think when we talk about putting a system together we are actually talking about creating a synergistic relationship between all the components, at least that is what we are trying to do with the available money and gear we have access to.
How many times have been to shows where rooms were put together haphazardly and synergy was at a loss and we could tell.

I have heard Steves preamp, it reminded me of a cleaner leaner Audible Illusions modulus 3, his preamp coupled with the right amp could be a very nice match for the right speaker. In fact if we had an unlimited amount of gear to play with I think many synergized systems could come out of all the possibles combinations. Add in cables and things get even more complex.
Cables are a sort of cheat,  a way to cheat a system that needs some help with synergy and push into a synergized mode.

Since most people do not have oscilloscopes nor know how to use one, we just end up using our ears and our ears are far more sensitive than a scope at analyzing music reproduction

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2022, 07:08:21 AM »
This is my oscilloscope

Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline GDHAL

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2022, 08:27:34 AM »
@doug s.

Hi Doug. I'd just like to add a little clarification to some things you wrote in your last post, addressed to @Steve.

First I am *not* using any kind of DSP to do "voicing" of my system. Secondly, what I was referring to regarding sound being compromised is that the artifacts and imperfections occur right at the beginning of the recording process as no recording process is 100% perfect as far as capturing every single nuance that's possible to capture, relative to your personal attendance at a particular venue and seeing and listening with your own eyes/ears. Thereafter, what I'm stating is that *nothing* can be done in the playback of anything already recorded that can "correct any imperfection". This is also the reason that I've stated, numerous times, that after one's own hearing acuity capabilities, the next most dominant Factor that's going to influence Sonic quality is the recording itself. But in no way have I ever stated that a recording can be absolutely perfect. Very close to perfect, yes.

"If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend" - saint of circumstance - Grateful Dead
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 09:42:01 AM by GDHAL »

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2022, 08:58:15 AM »
steve,

you say "There are actually no(t) “too many things” between the input to the speakers in my system..."
i disagree - an amp, and a preamp and speakers, with associated wiring is too many things.  yes, the speakers are a thing, too.  and you ignore the recording side of the equation.  and you ignore sources - another layer of electronics and gear. (and re: analog, a quite extensive layer. which could also be said for digital as well, depending on how you want to slay that dragon.)

>>When designing, the preamp, amp, ics and speaker wires can easily be tested for accuracy. The speakers are back and forth and take time. I have also provided several preamplifiers and amps that are quite close to accurate for those
who cannot perform the work.

>>IF you had actually read my previous posts in this string, and in other strings, Doug, you would have seen my statements concerning sources and speakers. The audience has.

>>If you had actually  read my previous posts in this string, and other strings, Doug, you would  have seen my
comments concerning

1. actual quality of recordings and the recording process being at least 50%
2. that the recording quality varies

>>So are you insisting on higher quality recordings? I am.

>>IF you had read my previous posts in this string, and other strings, you would have understood
how I dealt with sources as well as speakers.

>>>>By the way, the main problems I have found with dacs is the analog sections being so deficient.
That includes both the DAC chip (digital to Analog conversion) and following analog stage (gain of 2 or 6db).
(A few use tubes for the following analog section, but still not very good.)

"yes, i said "so, someone may love their ripe amp because their speakers are lean, and an accurate amp doesn't sound as good.  the end result may in fact be "perfect". have you ever heard of someone trying to simplify a topic by the way they've said it?  it's very possible that an ever so slight additional warmth in one area of an amp would equate to a proper frequency response output, with all pace/timing/soundstaging/etc, clues intact, with a speaker that's ever so slightly recessed in this area. even if "hal mentioned the sound is compromised." we must simply agree to disagree on this point.  (and, afaik, hal uses dsp to voice his systems - is he making it better, or compromising it further?) 

>>Now you are attempting to narrow the scope and impact of what you stated. Yes it can be relative as you now indicate. When approaching voicing of a system/room, the electronics still has to be included as otherwise no
music to check. I think we all want better quality reproduction.

then, you talk about "then perform the source/speaker/speaker wires/finish room treatments" what's this? just exactly why i said it's not really possible to create the perfect component in a vacuum (no pun intended; i like tubed gear) - it's all interconnected! then, there's room nodes; the possible need to "add filtering" - ah, but aren't you compromising the accuracy? ;)

>>I had explained my procedures for the source and speakers in my previous posts. Did you not read that
procedure, or not understand Doug? In any case, the electronics still has to be used in order to voice the system, right?

>>It is true that some love artificially flavored music, high distortion for bloom etc. However, as the RCA Radiotron Designers Handbook (1960 and before, 26+ engineers) states, that is not real fidelity.

finally, the "upgraded ar-3".  seriously?  i've heard these speakers (a long time ago.) yes, i thought they were nice. (i also liked the bose 901's i bought at the ripe old age of 13.)  but to design the "perfect system", (and take 9 years to do it), around upgraded ar-3's?   -6db at 40hz; -15db at 20hz? big drops between 125-250hz, 1khz-3khz; & a really big drop between 3-5khz, w/another drop at 6khz?  well, i hope the upgrades were truly sensational!  :D

>>No, I meant the SP-3 preamplifier. That is my bad Doug.

"sorry, you can't turn a vw beetle into a porsche 911..."

>>I did have a 914 2.0 though. True mid engine, absolutely loved that car. Like riding a go cart.
To bad I was rear ended by a Ford Granada at 45mph (police report) some 31 years ago.

>>cheers

imo, of course.

doug s.
- ps - you also said "I mean on my test speakers I am down to 1 part in a 1,000,000. That is between -114db and -120db down and musical differences are clearly heard."
more power to you; honestly, i think maybe 1 in a million could hear a 1 part in a million change like that.  it reminds me of the late brian cheney, talking about the exceedingly minute changes he made to the caps & resistors in his speakers that were "clearly audible". i thought his speakers were great, especially at their price points, but i don't think most people can hear things like that.  again, imo.
There certainly no circle discussion. All follows the laws of science.

"then we have playback.  there is no one single device that plays back recordings that we can hear.  it's a chain.  so, there's really no way to know what's "perfect".  it's a balancing act.  steve is trying to perform a sisyphean task, imo.  because he wants the "perfect" playback chain from stylus (or streamer, or transport, or tape, or computer, or???) to your ear.  way too many things happening between the the time the software hits its first piece of gear to the last release from the actual sound emitter and then head to your ear.  and what is the environment your ear is in, and how does the sound emitter react to that environment?"

>>There are actually no “too many things” between the input to the speakers in my system. Yes it is more difficult for consumers to know what is most accurate. However, I do understand that one must audition as many tube components as possible. Besides my 10A, 11A line preamplifier (I am retired), the Ultra-Verve, the upgraded AR-3, ST 70 from Pro-Musica are  extremely excellent preamps/amps. However, I do not recommend any solid state components. See below the inherent problems one faces, which the RCA Radiotron Designers Handbook, 26+ engineers address
from before 1960.

>>Yes it is quite possible to design a perfectly accurate amp, preamp, even phono stage. Once one gets those and the ics accurate in an absolute sense, then perform the source/speaker/speaker wires/finish room treatments. It is the room that creates the modes, so if the room is quite small, it might be necessary to create a high pass filter to limit modes.

"so, someone may love their ripe amp because their speakers are lean, and an accurate amp doesn't sound as good.  the end result may in fact be "perfect".  or a perfectly naturally sounding speaker may sound like dookie, if it's in a room that's either too hard or too absorbent.  (is there a speaker that sounds perfect regardless of the room it's in?) and, a device may actually measure less than perfect, but more closely sound like the real live unrecorded sound."

>>The end result will never be “perfect using a lean and ripe”. For one, there are many other sonic problems with said lean speakers and said ripe amp. Even Hal mentioned once the sound is compromised, it is not possible to get it back. Two wrongs don’t make a right but cost may limit what one can do.

>>The solution is to rid of as many faults as possible and replace the at fault components with more accurate ones. I mean on my test speakers I am down to 1 part in a 1,000,000. That is between -114db and -120db down and musical differences are clearly heard.

>>References were given above for amp and preamp. Ics one will have to test although it is easy to check if an ic is fairly accurate. (Mine are not shielded so of limited use in other systems.) In a small room, it may be necessary to limit the bass response/modes. If worse comes to worse, a simple RC 6db filter network might be enough. Please make sure the caps and resistor is high quality, such as a Mundorf Supreme.

>>More info on parts and components.

>>All solid state and most tube amplifiers use electrolytic capacitors. An electrolytic capacitor has a DA of around 5. Many electrolytic capacitors are used in solid state amplifiers with their many stages. A few, lower ufd values in tubes.

>>The DA of a good polypropylene capacitor is around 0.02, or 250 times less Dielectric Absorption effect.

>>The ESR of an electrolytic capacitor is many times higher than a good poly cap.

>>Electrolytic capacitors are very temperature sensitive (see graph below), and the
ufd lowers as the frequency increases, both of which affects musical accuracy.
Polys are many times better in both respects .

>>Below are graphs of typical electrolytic capacitors and Poly type capacitors to show
some of the differences which affects musical qualities.

>>With the electrolytic capacitor graph #8. The horizontal X line is temperature, the vertical line Y is uf change, or percentage lost. That change affects the music accuracy.

>>Notice the electrolytic capacitors start curving near the bottom and rise in the 500 hz range. That is the inductance causing the change in reactance, ESL, starting its dirty work and continuing into the most sensitive area of human hearing on up. Electrolytic capacitors also degrade the dynamics.

>>Figure #9, X line is frequency and Y line is ohms. The poly type capacitors sharply decrease until the hundreds of thousands of hz. That vs 500hz. What an immense difference. (Fig. 8,9 from Picking Capacitors by Walter Jung and Richard Marsh.)

>>While their may be 3-5 tubes in an amp, a SS amp can have a dozen transistors or more. There is much more
than harmonic distortion to consider.

>>Solid state devices all have leakage properties. A 1N914/1N4148, with 1pf capacitance, good for multiple millions of hz will bleed audio through even when biased off. Same with larger devices since there are physical connections vs vacuum between elements of a vacuum tube.

>>Anyone who has performed any testing at all understands how electrolytic capacitors, solid materials negatively affect musical quality in both solid state and tube components. It has been known for decades, with RCA Radiotron Designers Handbook (26 engineers+) addressing the subjects like capacitors etc.

Now we are to believe in magic that musical playback degradation is only minor and not needed in voicing a system. 

Cheers
steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2022, 09:34:01 AM »
After 50+ years listening to different systems, combo's individual components added to a system I get it. An Engineers approach to reproduction relies on a circuit design and measurements. Great. However not the end all in sonics Gee all would need is a 1970,s Receiver with .0000007% distortion. We know how those worked out.
Nelson Pass and CJ both have stated the sound they got was from voicing gear with different parts NOT the circuit design. So I leave it to them. Listen to their designs and go from there.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.