Author Topic: Anyone familiar with K&K audio?  (Read 3570 times)

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Anyone familiar with K&K audio?
« on: August 05, 2022, 02:30:15 PM »
A new audiophile has been discovered in Abilene, but he doesn't know which end of a screwdriver to turn.  He's had a K&K amp that looks like a Dynaco ST120 (I even cut my hand on the case like a Dynaco).  However, it doesn't seem that there's much Dynaco left.  What caught my eye was the Lundahl transformers and better than garbage caps. All replacement K&K boards.   Apparently the fella behind K&K is no longer in business.  Is this a highish quality piece?  He's kind of a goofy guy, with tons of high dollar gear and absolutely no knowledge of how any of it goes together.  I bet he paid top dollar for it a few years ago. 
I replaced a broken binding post on it, and looked at how it was put together... mostly good workmanship.
I'm just curious. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 02:32:42 PM by S Clark »
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: Anyone familiar with K&K audio?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 02:46:25 PM »
The K&K amp is a very good sounding piece.  They took a good solid design and then did the optimization thing.  The interstage coupling is through the Lundahls.  I spent some time with a K&K rebuild owned by a fellow in Boulder that I did some power supply mods for.

Here is a link, Scott:  http://www.kandkaudio.com/power-amplifier/

The guy to ask is Captain Hemo, over "there".
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline ejk

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Did I say no dropouts ?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 01:07:07 AM »
Joe (JBTRIO) has his phono preamp for years. He can give you some input
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2022, 12:48:36 PM »
K&K is no longer? Who is the current Lundahl distributor?
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline hogg

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2022, 01:00:10 PM »
Erhard Audio LLC is the sole and official importer, reseller and distributor for all Lundahl Transformers products in North America.
Strong as an Ox and twice as smart

Offline ejk

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2022, 03:31:24 PM »
Erhard Audio LLC is the sole and official importer, reseller and distributor for all Lundahl Transformers products in North America.

Jim great to see you post hope all is well
Aric Audio Super 6SN7 Line, Orchard Audio Starkrimson Ultra, Quicksilver Mid Monos, Lumin U2 Mini, Denafrips Pontus II 12th-1,Denafrips Iris DDC, Spatial Audio M3 Saphire, Hapa Audio Interconnects, TWL power cords, TWL speaker cables, Wireworld USB, i2s.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2022, 06:36:21 AM »

Same here
Hey Jim!
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline ejk

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 12:26:40 PM »

Same here
Hey Jim!

Rave In Stamford  :thumb:

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2022, 03:00:29 PM »

Same here
Hey Jim!

I'll drive!!!
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2022, 04:01:21 PM »
I have experience with K and K Audio, I own a K and K top of the line Phono.
K and K is owned by Kevin Carter who once worked at VAC Corp. After he split from VAC he cam out with some of his own designs which were marketed under the "Art Audio" name for a while. I own a custom upgraded Vinyl Reference phono stage. They are extremely well designed and built and fairly expensive. After a brief stint with Art Audio he started a company called Veritas which sold bespoke equipment (think like $15K for a preamp back in 1990). The company didn't last long and Kevin sold out of most his kits and is a distributor for Lundenhal Transformers. He's not easy to reach but is a kind gentlemen and I spoke to him about my phono once. He stated that it was one of only a handful that he made with super upgraded components. It has served me very reliably and I plan on keeping it lol.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2022, 10:15:37 PM »
I have experience with K and K Audio, I own a K and K top of the line Phono.
K and K is owned by Kevin Carter who once worked at VAC Corp. After he split from VAC he cam out with some of his own designs which were marketed under the "Art Audio" name for a while. I own a custom upgraded Vinyl Reference phono stage. They are extremely well designed and built and fairly expensive. After a brief stint with Art Audio he started a company called Veritas which sold bespoke equipment (think like $15K for a preamp back in 1990). The company didn't last long and Kevin sold out of most his kits and is a distributor for Lundenhal Transformers. He's not easy to reach but is a kind gentlemen and I spoke to him about my phono once. He stated that it was one of only a handful that he made with super upgraded components. It has served me very reliably and I plan on keeping it lol.

I was unaware Kevin Carter was involved with K & K. I had Vac 90 monos around 1990 and spoke with him a few times. A very nice man.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2022, 06:50:50 PM »

Same here
Hey Jim!

I'll drive!!!

Add  me to the list when  Jim decides to hosts, but everyone  is welcome to come over on Oct.1st to my place in Princeton, which was posted https://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=8548.0
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 06:54:43 PM by shadowlight »