Author Topic: Quicksilver MX-190 Owners  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Sir Cut Bored

Quicksilver MX-190 Owners
« on: June 30, 2022, 04:18:50 PM »
New to the forum. . . and hoping to find someone who currently owns a Quicksilver MX-190. I'm working on with a missing original power switch. This was a three position OFF ON ON rocker, which are currently extremely hard to find. My hope is that a current MX-190 owner would be willing to unscrew their front panel and tell me who the original manufacturer of the switch was. A bonus would be a photo of the wiring to the switch. Thanks.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Quicksilver MX-190 Owners
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2022, 04:36:15 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  :thumb: I was on the quicksilver website and your amp was manufactured between 1981–1985. So I can see why parts availability might be an issue. We have a couple of guys here who may have knowledge of where to source that switch or an appropriate replacement. I’ve never dealt with Mike Sanders, but maybe you could send him an email as you have one of his vintage amps.

Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2022, 04:53:39 PM »
Carling makes a DP3T ON/ON/ON switch that may work for you.  It depens upon the configuration.  With these typ of switches leaving one position un wired would give you a OFF/ON/ON switch. 

I assume the first ON position was for filaments, is that correct?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Carling-Technologies/TIGE51-6S-BL-NBL?qs=2TMTlEbebpKUffoydyDC9A%3D%3D
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Sir Cut Bored

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2022, 05:15:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  :thumb: I was on the quicksilver website and your amp was manufactured between 1981–1985. So I can see why parts availability might be an issue. We have a couple of guys here who may have knowledge of where to source that switch or an appropriate replacement. I’ve never dealt with Mike Sanders, but maybe you could send him an email as you have one of his vintage amps.

Nick

Thanks for the welcome Nick. I should have mentioned that I've corresponded with Mike Sanders and, unfortunately, he doesn't recall the manufacturer of the switch.

Carling makes a DP3T ON/ON/ON switch that may work for you.  It depens upon the configuration.  With these typ of switches leaving one position un wired would give you a OFF/ON/ON switch. 

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Carling-Technologies/TIGE51-6S-BL-NBL?qs=2TMTlEbebpKUffoydyDC9A%3D%3D

Correct, the first on position is for the filaments, and the second position is for the B+. Hadn't considered an ON/ON/ON, but that sounds like a possibility. The specific Carling model you linked to is too large for the existing panel cutout, and I'm not quite at the point of cutting into/modifying the original aluminum faceplate (though it may come to that). The cutout is 17mm x 31mm rectangular.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2022, 07:09:34 PM »

Correct, the first on position is for the filaments, and the second position is for the B+. Hadn't considered an ON/ON/ON, but that sounds like a possibility. The specific Carling model you linked to is too large for the existing panel cutout, and I'm not quite at the point of cutting into/modifying the original aluminum faceplate (though it may come to that). The cutout is 17mm x 31mm rectangular.
Rebuilding/repairing older gear can be a challenge.  Sometimes a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do.  A good, sharp file, 10 minutes (after masking or removing the faceplate) and careful, patient work and it "may" work for you.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck!  :thumb:
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 11:46:35 PM »

Nick

Thanks for the welcome Nick. I should have mentioned that I've corresponded with Mike Sanders and, unfortunately, he doesn't recall the manufacturer of the switch.

Pls keep us posted if you can get this to work. Modifying a chassis can be a bit challenging.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2022, 09:43:05 PM »

Nick

CCB...

Have you been able to make any headway on this problem?