Author Topic: Electrical Question  (Read 3506 times)

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Electrical Question
« on: May 17, 2022, 02:54:40 PM »
I’ll set this out as best I can… Audio Nervosa at its worst.
I have one duplex outlet for my audio equipment. It was wired (before I was here) so that the lower outlet is on a switch- to facilitate turning a light on/off, etc.
I have it in my head that there is detrimental effect of some kind with that switch; if this is so, should I plug everything into a strip from the non-switched outlet? I use a ‘purist’ strip- no switch, no light , no breaker, no power conditioning or surge protection.
https://www.alliedelec.com/product/wiremold/l10320/70091760/
I currently plug the amp into the unswitched outlet, and the strip into the switched- the strip powers my TT, cd player, and Node 2 streamer…
More to this I guess, but any thoughts/opinions, etc., appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline James Edward

Re: Electrical Question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 06:31:20 PM »
I’ll break it down to this- do you think/know if there is a qualitative difference between the switched part of the outlet and the non-switched?
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 07:31:55 PM »
I’ll set this out as best I can… Audio Nervosa at its worst.
I have one duplex outlet for my audio equipment. It was wired (before I was here) so that the lower outlet is on a switch- to facilitate turning a light on/off, etc.
I have it in my head that there is detrimental effect of some kind with that switch; if this is so, should I plug everything into a strip from the non-switched outlet? I use a ‘purist’ strip- no switch, no light , no breaker, no power conditioning or surge protection.
https://www.alliedelec.com/product/wiremold/l10320/70091760/
I currently plug the amp into the unswitched outlet, and the strip into the switched- the strip powers my TT, cd player, and Node 2 streamer…
More to this I guess, but any thoughts/opinions, etc., appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Hi James,

I would suggest not using a strip as that will negatively affect the sonics. Using a switched outlet is probably detrimental as well. The main problem is not enough power supply filtering sections to eliminate rectifier and before affects of
the music, which includes AC power source.

Jenalabs sells good (might ask about croyed) outlets the last time I checked. Of course there are also other companies that sell quality outlets as well.

E-MAIL:
e-mail@jenalabs.com     Will be seen by Jennifer first.
mail@jenatek.com         Will be seen by Michael first.

Cheers and good luck on endeavors Jim.

steve
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 07:47:33 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2022, 10:15:48 AM »
   For best results change duplex. It would be best to have dedicated lines. One for digital and one for analog. Then condition each line. Done.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline James Edward

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2022, 11:04:35 AM »
Well. I am trying a PI Audio ‘Uber Puerto’ outlet to feed the system. After install, I am simply using the unswitched half to feed the power strip I mentioned. My amp is 30 wpc, so I’m certainly not overreaching.
The Puerto grips the plug like crazy, and I do feel I’m hearing more subtle musical cues. I’d consider it an upgrade- something good’s happening here. It’s the little things…
When I cut power, I also realized there are more outlets on the circuit than I knew; wall warts and a dimmer are being addressed too.
More to come…
PS- Due to the construction layout of my house, and location of my electrical panel, there is no way to run a dedicated line without great expense.

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 12:51:29 PM »
Jim I'm glad you were able to get your hands on an Uber Puerto. Liken you I heard subtle, but very noticeable and desirable changes when I installed mine. Kind of like putting an exrt coat of wax on a fine vintage car. Takes something that is already very good and just pushes it a little more over the top.

(I hate to talk too nicely about the Uber Puetro. Too much good press might force Dave out of his well deserved retirement.  :roll:)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline James Edward

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 02:09:05 PM »
Jim I'm glad you were able to get your hands on an Uber Puerto. Liken you I heard subtle, but very noticeable and desirable changes when I installed mine. Kind of like putting an exrt coat of wax on a fine vintage car. Takes something that is already very good and just pushes it a little more over the top.

(I hate to talk too nicely about the Uber Puetro. Too much good press might force Dave out of his well deserved retirement.  :roll:)
Perfect analogy Tom. Would’ve saved me some keystrokes!
FWIW, I also polished the electrical wire with some synthetic steel wool to get it shiny again… Every little thing.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2022, 09:15:47 AM »

Perfect analogy Tom. Would’ve saved me some keystrokes!
FWIW, I also polished the electrical wire with some synthetic steel wool to get it shiny again… Every little thing.

It all matters. Happy listening

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.