Author Topic: New: KT-170  (Read 2616 times)

Offline steve

• Audiologist
New: KT-170
« on: August 19, 2021, 07:30:17 AM »
This is the first I have heard of this tube number by Tung Sol. Claiming plate dissipation of 85 watts and
screen grid rating of 11 watts. Tube is 6" tall. Here is a link to data.

https://vacuumtubevalues.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/KT170-datasheet.pdf

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 08:55:30 AM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: New: KT-170
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 01:56:39 PM »
Steve,

How would these values compare to something like a KT 88? Any idea if the build of this tube is likely a result of a special order by an equipment manufacturer or if TungSol built it with the assumption that equipment manufacturers will start utilizing it in their designs?

Nick
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 02:17:46 PM by Nick B »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2021, 05:53:32 PM »
Although the tubes in the KT series are plug in compatible with each other not all amps can use the higher tubes. In addition to the fact they many amps originally designed got KT 88s have output transformers that cannot handle the higher wattages put out by the KT 120s and 150s, the 120s and 150s pull 25% more heater current and many amps designed around KT 88s do not have power supplies with the capacity to provide that much heater current.

While all of the data sheets that I can find for the new KT 170s havre the heater specs redacted I would assume that would pull at least as much current as the 120s and 150s.

If you have an amp designed around 120s or 150s you might get away with rolling in 170, but I would think it is doubtful that you would get away with in on a KT 88 amp, as the 170 has more that twice the plate dissipation of an 88.

But in any case I would check with the amp’s original manufacturer for guidance.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2021, 10:03:28 PM »
I found an unredacted Data sheet for the KT-170s and the do pull the same heater current as the 120s and 150s.

https://vacuumtubevalues.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/KT170-datasheet.pdf

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2021, 08:18:53 AM »
Although the tubes in the KT series are plug in compatible with each other not all amps can use the higher tubes. In addition to the fact they many amps originally designed got KT 88s have output transformers that cannot handle the higher wattages put out by the KT 120s and 150s, the 120s and 150s pull 25% more heater current and many amps designed around KT 88s do not have power supplies with the capacity to provide that much heater current.

While all of the data sheets that I can find for the new KT 170s havre the heater specs redacted I would assume that would pull at least as much current as the 120s and 150s.

If you have an amp designed around 120s or 150s you might get away with rolling in 170, but I would think it is doubtful that you would get away with in on a KT 88 amp, as the 170 has more that twice the plate dissipation of an 88.

But in any case I would check with the amp’s original manufacturer for guidance.

Thanks, Tom. Very interesting. Any idea if a patent would apply to the 170?
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2021, 08:42:50 AM »
  Are these tubes made in China ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2021, 12:03:30 PM »

Thanks, Tom. Very interesting. Any idea if a patent would apply to the 170?

I cant imagine they would release a new tube to the market without some kind of patent protection. Too much R&D expense in developing one to let anyone copy it.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2021, 12:22:48 PM »

charles

Tung Sol is now a division of New Sensor, the same Russian company that makes Sovetk and Electro-Harmonix tubes. The are made in the Reflektor plant in Saratov, Russia

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2021, 01:07:18 PM »

charles

Tung Sol is now a division of New Sensor, the same Russian company that makes Sovetk and Electro-Harmonix tubes. The are made in the Reflektor plant in Saratov, Russia
They also now make the Svetlana line.

Years ago I sold my beloved Cary 572SE MkII mono blocks due to the tube shortage.  If I had known that New Sensor would be producing that tube I would still have them as my main squeeze. 20 of the biggest watts on earth!

I'm looking for a pristine pair now.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 10:37:42 PM »
Steve,

How would these values compare to something like a KT 88? Any idea if the build of this tube is likely a result of a special order by an equipment manufacturer or if TungSol built it with the assumption that equipment manufacturers will start utilizing it in their designs?

Nick

Sorry I am late responding Nick.

Tube shape is different than 150, may or may not mean anything. Like the 150 and 120, the high plate voltage can be a cause for concern in beam/pentode mode as voltage spikes could be high enough for arcing between pins 3/plate and 2/filament. In UL or triode mode, 600 volts, I would not be too concerned.

The Chinese tried manufacturing the EL-156, but evidently a bust as I don't see it sold in the USA anymore. It also had a high voltage rating but the screen was designed for a lower voltage, so triode/UL operation was limited to a lower screen voltage, dissipation, thus efficiency.

The KT-88/120/150 has a higher screen voltage rating for more efficient use in UL/triode mode. In beam/pentode mode the high screen voltage makes the tube less efficient.

The 170 has a great cathode emission rating of 300ma, the 120 is 250ma and I believe the 88 is around 230ma.

I don't know concerning your last question of manufacturers. Years ago I tested the new tung sol
6550 and was not impressed sonically. Maybe the 120/150/170s are different though.

cheers

steve
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 10:39:34 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2021, 11:03:29 PM »
Steve,

Nick

Sorry I am late responding Nick.

Tube shape is different than 150, may or may not mean anything. Like the 150 and 120, the high plate voltage can be a cause for concern in beam/pentode mode as voltage spikes could be high enough for arcing between pins 3/plate and 2/filament. In UL or triode mode, 600 volts, I would not be too concerned.

The Chinese tried manufacturing the EL-156, but evidently a bust as I don't see it sold in the USA anymore. It also had a high voltage rating but the screen was designed for a lower voltage, so triode/UL operation was limited to a lower screen voltage, dissipation, thus efficiency.

The KT-88/120/150 has a higher screen voltage rating for more efficient use in UL/triode mode. In beam/pentode mode the high screen voltage makes the tube less efficient.

The 170 has a great cathode emission rating of 300ma, the 120 is 250ma and I believe the 88 is around 230ma.

I don't know concerning your last question of manufacturers. Years ago I tested the new tung sol
6550 and was not impressed sonically. Maybe the 120/150/170s are different though.

cheers

steve

Thanks, Steve. I appreciate your thoughts  :thumb:
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords