Author Topic: amp recommendations  (Read 9619 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: amp recommendations
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2021, 02:09:11 PM »
Hi Doug,
Yes, I bought it used...pretty good price imo. I had been looking for a used regular SET 120 or SET 400, but they’re very hard to find. After I got the control amp version, I found a used SET 400 for a great price....which I would have bought immediately...but it was already gone.

I haven’t tried it via it’s passive pre as I must have remote control with all the streaming, switching albums and fiddling that I do. If I were a vinyl only kinda guy, a motorized remote wouldn’t be at all necessary.

I’d love to try one of your ec’s. I have very little opportunity to try other amps without buying them. I think you’re in California, is that right? My only concern would be the weight. If it’s a 50+ lb beast that I’d have to lift onto the top shelf of my rack, I wouldn’t want to try it. Just had a back injection...

If you would, shoot me a PM with a guesstimate on the weight, box size etc so I can figure out shipping

hi nick,

i got to this thread late; glad you found something you like.   :thumb:  besides suggestions on any specific gear, i was going to suggest that, no matter what you try, you go for something used, as you seemed not to be sure of what you want, and you can try more than one thing w/o taking a bath financially, if you bought new.

re: the unit you got, as they retail for only $1.2k, i hope you paid quite a bit less than $1k!   :mrgreen:

also, curious why you didn't just wait for one w/o the passive pre - it seems you'd get better performance, unless there's a way to totally bypass the pre?  and, since you have it, i'm curious if you've tried it sans your regular preamp.

doug s.
ps - one of the brands i was going to recommend is electrocompaniet - used, of course, at your budget.  and, if you're interested in trying one, i have two aw75dmb's just sitting here; they were doing subwoofer duties, but i picked up a pair of dirt cheap kelmar 150+ monoblocks that are now driving my vmps' quite well.  (actually, i got three, status unknown, for $75 including shipping - which was >50% of the cost!  and one doesn't work, but i need only 2... ;))  in any event, if you're interested in trying one of my ec's, you're more than welcome to; all you need to do is pick up the shipping tab...  not trying to sell 'em; if you like it, you'd have to find another one - ha!

I found a used AVA SET 120 Control Amp on Agon for a very good price. It’s an absolutely wonderful amp! Resolves better than my iCE amp, great imaging, wonderful improvement in tonality/ textures. Love the richer midrange and that’s exactly what I was hoping for.

I looked at all the suggestions here and price, weight, re-sellability, connector locations etc all factored into it. There was another amp project being considered with a well-known member here, but if it happens, it’ll be a ways off. It would be a super-tweaked tube design.

For now, I’m loving this solid state little marvel  :thumb  Thanks, Jack, for the wonderful recommendation!

Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: amp recommendations
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2021, 03:56:35 PM »
Doug,
I’ll research for a shipping guesstimate. Will send you a pm in a bit
Thx, Nick

nick,

1st, i'm in md, so unfortunately shipping to ut will be more than if i was in ca.  but, the amp weighs 35lbs, so it's no monster size-wise.  it's a standard rackmount width - 19", by 6" high, and 16" deep, which includes its rackmount handles.  it would be well packed, in a box probably ~24x20x10 - at minimum; maybe a coupla add'l inches in any direction.

the aw75dmb is a true dual-mono amp, rated at 75wpc/8 ohms, 140/4 ohms, 220/2 ohms, and stable to >1 ohm.  max current - 80 amps.  yes - 80A; no typo. rated distortion <0.007% at half rated output.  these amps retailed for $2500 over 20 years ago.  i've had one for a bit over 20 years, and the other for a bit under.

pics - not of mine, but just like it:

pm me w/shipping details if you're still wanting to hear it.  ec's rep in  a nutshell is solid state grip and detail w/tube-like smoothness.

doug s.
Hi Doug,
Yes, I bought it used...pretty good price imo. I had been looking for a used regular SET 120 or SET 400, but they’re very hard to find. After I got the control amp version, I found a used SET 400 for a great price....which I would have bought immediately...but it was already gone.

I haven’t tried it via it’s passive pre as I must have remote control with all the streaming, switching albums and fiddling that I
do. If I were a vinyl only kinda guy, a motorized remote wouldn’t be at all necessary.

I’d love to try one of your ec’s. I have very little opportunity to try other amps without buying them. I think you’re in California, is that right? My only concern would be the weight. If it’s a 50+ lb beast that I’d have to lift onto the top shelf of my rack, I wouldn’t want to try it. Just had a back injection...

If you would, shoot me a PM with a guesstimate on the weight, box size etc so I can figure out shipping

Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS