Author Topic: CD Player wouldn't open its tray/door  (Read 4069 times)

Offline goldlizsts

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Let Music Pass!
CD Player wouldn't open its tray/door
« on: March 14, 2019, 08:11:20 AM »
Hey Guys,

I have a SOS.  My Martantz SA8004 wouldn't open up.  Marantz advised it's a simple fix (for a more expert person, of course).  It likely was because I was "forcing" (pushing instead of using the remote) the tray to go in.... I know there's a CD in there, and it plays.  The mechanism is a simple fix, they say.  So.... anyone can help?  Thanks. :duh

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
Re: CD Player wouldn't open its tray/door
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 11:25:25 PM »
Hmmm. Assuming the gears or belts aren't broken or snapped, and the motor is fine, I think you can open the top cover and manually force it to eject.

My cd player, which I kept in storage for more than 7 years, had the same problem. It was simply stuck. I had to 'help' the motor by coaxing the transport out with my fingers. Maybe the motor needs servicing?

The more I use it, the more it operates smoothly.

Offline Barry (NJ)

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 09:28:34 AM »
As malloy states, just take the top off, plug it in, and give it a gentle push from the inside, as you tap the open tray button.
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Brap

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 02:15:26 PM »
Brother in law's had the same issue. Replaced 4 belts for him, 2 for the tray slide operation and one for the upper arm that engages the CD "downward" and a 4th while I was there.  He found them in the UK for $25USD.  Nice afternoon project during polar vortex. Unit weighs 30+ lbs, sounds like a dream though for the vintage.  Balanced in/outs. I guess back in the day it was about 2K.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 02:42:24 PM »
As malloy states, just take the top off, plug it in, and give it a gentle push from the inside, as you tap the open tray button.

Thanks guys.  I have another friend who's very handy.  He typically buys up all those name brands at "yard" sales in the neighborhoods?, and fixes 'em up.  For example, be built a set of old Ohm speaker by stacking 2 up on top of each other (the tip), built a rack to "join" them...

Possibly I will take it to him.  He said it's like a 1/2 hr. job.... So, what I'll do is I'll open up the top and give it a "push", see if that fixes it.  If so, I will never "push" the tray in after putting a CD in..... Never knew it could do such damage.  Otherwise, don't think I have a major issue, as I treat my gear well pretty gently.

Thanks.  Will report back when that happens.

Shek

Offline malloy

• no grave concern for repercussion
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 04:45:49 PM »
Good luck! Dealing with broken or non-functioning audio equipment is VERY stressful.

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 08:58:03 AM »
Stressful I'm not, just a little pissed, 'cos I always pampered my gear.  Except.... I "pushed" the player's door in, ignorance of the possible result.  Now I know.  It's easier when you insert a CD, you'd just tap the door/tray to "command" it to go and play, right? :thumb:

Sometime, soon I hope shortly, I will open up the cage, see if I can fix it, as Marantz said it's a simpler task....  Fingers crossed.  Otherwise, I'll bring it to my handy NJ friend.  He's truly a jack-of-all-trades.  Here's to show how he put 4 Ohms together. :rofl: