Author Topic: Wife urging me to upgrade  (Read 42179 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Wife urging me to upgrade
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 01:40:22 PM »
Bill, that's a nice preamp. I see they finally decided that a remote control volume does not hurt the sound quality. That used to be their excuse for not offering a remote control.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 05:10:41 PM »
Bill, that's a nice preamp. I see they finally decided that a remote control volume does not hurt the sound quality. That used to be their excuse for not offering a remote control.

Thanks, Perfessor!  I've been lovin' the Primaluna in my system. Extremely well made, point-to-point wiring, no need for hard to find or expensive tubes and, yes a remote! :thumb:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 06:16:36 PM »
Output impedance of the Prima Luna is 3kOhm, so the amp's input impedance should be >30kOhm. Bill's Moscode amp has tube inputs so it is OK, but many SS amps are only 10k and some amps, like older Odysseys were only 8kOhm.

Offline rpf

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 07:17:37 PM »
A Modwright, as has been suggested, would of course mate well with your amp. I owned the 9.0SE and the 36.5 (single box) and the former was very good while the latter was excellent.

The 36.5 in particular was very quiet and highly resolving. More so, as both my friend and I remember, than his ARC Ref 3 (in his system with Vandy 5As). It doesn't have a phone stage however, unlike the LS100 which has an optional MC.

A possible drawback if your Modwright amp and pre both have teflon caps is that the sound may be too smooth and slippery. But you possibly substitute some copper foil caps to balance it out.
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 07:53:39 PM »
Output impedance of the Prima Luna is 3kOhm, so the amp's input impedance should be >30kOhm. Bill's Moscode amp has tube inputs so it is OK, but many SS amps are only 10k and some amps, like older Odysseys were only 8kOhm.

Here's what I found on the Moscode 600, Rich

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2015, 07:56:23 PM »
And the PrimaLuna ProLogue Premium Pre-Amplifier

Specifications
Gain: 12dB
Freq. Response: 4Hz-85kHz +/- 3dB
THD: Less than 1% at full power
S/N Ratio: 109 dB unweighted
Input Sensitivity: 200mV
Input Impedance: 100k Ohms
Output Impedance: 2800 Ohms
Power Consumption: 46 watts
Dimensions: 14.5 " x 8" x 15.5" (WxHxD)
Weight: 37.5 lbs
Inputs: 4 pair RCA / 1 pair HT bypass
Outputs: 2 pair RCA preamp outs / 1 pair RCA fixed tape out
Tube Compliment: 4 - 12AU7, 2 - 5AR4

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2015, 09:36:48 PM »
As expected with tube input stage, very high impedance...  247kOhms   :thumb:

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2015, 05:21:11 AM »
As expected with tube input stage, very high impedance...  247kOhms   :thumb:

That's good, Rich.  'Cause I wouldn't know a kOhm if it jumped up and bit me! :rofl:

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2015, 06:16:43 AM »
A Modwright, as has been suggested, would of course mate well with your amp. I owned the 9.0SE and the 36.5 (single box) and the former was very good while the latter was excellent.

The 36.5 in particular was very quiet and highly resolving. More so, as both my friend and I remember, than his ARC Ref 3 (in his system with Vandy 5As). It doesn't have a phone stage however, unlike the LS100 which has an optional MC.

A possible drawback if your Modwright amp and pre both have teflon caps is that the sound may be too smooth and slippery. But you possibly substitute some copper foil caps to balance it out.

Slippery?! I know what smooth sounds like (good) slippery? I'm not so sure what that sounds like. I am definitely not going at it with a soldering iron. (Not that I am not capable with one I just don't want to get into mods at this time.)
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rpf

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2015, 06:50:56 AM »

Slippery?! I know what smooth sounds like (good) slippery? I'm not so sure what that sounds like. I am definitely not going at it with a soldering iron. (Not that I am not capable with one I just don't want to get into mods at this time.)

Overly smooth, lacking texture. Might not be an issue with the LS100 with it's richer 6SN7s.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 06:55:47 AM by rpf »
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2015, 07:11:26 AM »
there is a used 9.0 available but I don't think it would be a jump up. i think a 36.5 would be the minimum i would have to go to.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2015, 07:29:19 AM »
That's good, Rich.  'Cause I wouldn't know a kOhm if it jumped up and bit me! :rofl:

It might bite you if you don't understand it! Here is a quick lesson.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan03/articles/impedanceworkshop.asp

Input impedance (load) determines how much current the input requires to be driven without distortion. Output impedance (source) determines how much current the amplifier can deliver to a load.

To assure the amplifier has adequate headroom and the signal is transferred with no harm, the rule of thumb is that the input impedance should be 10x higher than the output impedance. The ratio of your preamp to amp is 100x  :thumb:  

Often, the best sounding tube preamp circuits have high output impedance, and that is fine because they are intended to drive tube amplifiers which have extremely high input impedance.

It is possible to make a tube output stage have a very low source impedance, like a White Follower circuit as used in Manley Shrimp with 50 ohms, same as an opamp. But they don't always sound as good as traditional tube circuits like cathode follower which has higher output impedance.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 07:33:16 AM by richidoo »

Offline rpf

« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2015, 07:34:27 AM »
[quote author=jimbones
[/quote]

Probably just require changing two coupling caps.

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2015, 07:39:45 AM »
I have never had this in house but every time i hear it sounds awesome. And everytime i am in the mood to buy one there is never one available.

The copland 305

http://www.copland.dk/cta305/

Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline toobluvr

• Certifiable
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2015, 08:29:05 AM »
Keep an eye on Canuck Audio Mart.  More likely to see Copland (and British / European) gear there.  I use a Copland hybrid integrated in my bedroom system on a pair of JM Reynaud Twins Signature.  It is excellent.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 08:31:02 AM by toobluvr »
Spkrs: Sunny Cable Tech, Reynaud, Zu, Klipsch, Gallo subs, Wharfedale
TT1: Townshend Rock 3/OL Silver Mk3A
TT2: OL Aurora/OL Encounter Mk3C
Carts: Soundsmith Zephyr,  Music Maker 3, Dynavector xx2-Mk2, Shelter 501
complete: see Sunnydaze system on AC