Author Topic: Wife urging me to upgrade  (Read 42009 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Wife urging me to upgrade
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 04:49:22 PM »
OK Rich, Those are a bit out of my price range as well.

Are these alternatives good?

VTL 2.5? Cary SLP 98?
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline Scottdazzle

• Seeking Help
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2015, 05:49:55 PM »
Cool. Don't ask any questions and just go. As for a preamp how about a Modwright preamp to match with your amp? I don't remember the exact model # but there was one that with tube rectification and lots of tubes with a good phono section. (Modwright 9.0SE??)

Sounds like theModWright LS-100 to me.
Viva Hifi in Vienna, VA
email: vivahifi@gmail.com
Retired

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 06:19:20 PM »
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 06:41:43 PM »
Short of having a phone stage, I put our Melody P2688 against anything in existing up to $20K. :)
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 06:51:54 PM »
Getting weak knees already?   :rofl:  

SLP-98 is sideways step from where you are now, imo. I'd rather have an UltraVerve.

VTL is much better, top echelon brand, very clean, low distortion, well engineered, but priced very far from "value leader." $4000 with phono stage.

Budget? Amps? MM/MC?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 06:56:53 PM by richidoo »

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 07:44:08 PM »
Getting a different pre amp always freaks me out. I'd be like Scotty from Star Trek
"Are you understanding what you are saying? A new pre amp! I don't  have the power in the main thrusters i just cant get another preamp! You think its just that easy"
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Prιcis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 05:19:55 AM »
Getting weak knees already?   :rofl:  

SLP-98 is sideways step from where you are now, imo. I'd rather have an UltraVerve.

VTL is much better, top echelon brand, very clean, low distortion, well engineered, but priced very far from "value leader." $4000 with phono stage.

Budget? Amps? MM/MC?

I definitely don'ty want a sideways step.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 05:22:32 AM »
What about Vac Sigma?

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 05:53:23 AM »
A mere bag of shells, Norton!
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2015, 05:57:09 AM »
So i have spent the past 3 years systematically rebuilding my system piece by piece. 2 Nights ago my wife and i are in the man cave and we are discussing all that I have done over this time. I have the last piece: an Audio Research SP8 tube preamp and she is trying to convince me to upgrade.  :rofl: Would you believe that!  :shock: She says that I have upgraded everything in my system and that I shouldn't stop there and to get a new preamp and enjoy it. Bless her heart.  :D/  

You have to encourage your wife to hang out with mine more often... maybe some of that thinking will "rub off" !?!?!

:lol:

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2015, 07:23:09 AM »
What about Vac Sigma?

"Tube compliment: [from manual]
3 x 12AX7 (phono option) (located on circuit board at left side of chassis)
2 x 12AU7/6189A (line stage)
2 x 12AX7 (line stage)"

Regulated PS, pretty similar to your SP8. I don't know if the change would be worth the hassle. VAC makes some nice stuff.

You are DIYer, so what about a kit? Aikido Octal is a solid choice.  It sounds great and has an easy to assemble kit. With some excellent tubes you could build it for <$1000. It would be better than SP8. You would lose half of your parts investment and all of your labor investment if you sell it, but that is still cheap. The sound is VERY good. You could put an aikido phono stage in the same box. There are other preamp designs worthy of building.

Another option is Van alstine T9. They have been sounding MUCH better in the last few years. The AVA sound used to be fast and clean with minimal soul. But maybe the new T9 with 6CG7s has a little more body. I had a T8 with russian tubes, it was midfi sounding smiley face EQ. So you have to listen before you buy. They have refund policy but you have to battle with Frank on the phone. I heard the newer stuff a couple years ago it was excellent. Incredible value. SS opamp phono stage, remote, new <$2000.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2015, 08:35:28 AM »
If you are thinking about DIY try a 26 based system or 4P1L system with transformer output.  Both tubes do have the tendency be to microphonic (sp?) so you will have to account for that.  I own a 4P1L based system and have heard Roberts (Maxmillion's) 26 based pre.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2015, 12:11:28 PM »
no DIY!!  :duh

I've got time to think this through. SS is quieter than tube but tibes are lucious sounding. I'll have to give some thought to my budget. Apparently from what I am seeing $2500-3000 used will only get me a "sideways" move. I may have to up that. I really don't want to go up to $4000 if i dont have to.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2015, 12:53:57 PM »

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline Brap

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2015, 01:00:39 PM »
If you want ultra quiet and DIY, highly recommend Transcendent "Masterpiece".  Really silent and topology is smart.  Fellow DIY'ers are loving it.
Fritz Carrera 7 Be
VTA ST-70
Parasound Halo P5
Oppo 105
Rega P3
Ortofon Quintet Bronze
Cambridge CXN streamer
Teac 3340S
Anticables 3.1
Masterbuilt reference/Kimber Cable IC