Author Topic: I am sure you guys are reading this  (Read 2998 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
I am sure you guys are reading this
« on: March 18, 2014, 01:53:57 PM »
sure to piss a few people off

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=124569.msg1312956#new

seems there is cooling for class d from manufacturers
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline _Scotty_

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • “Sic transit gloria mundi”
Re: I am sure you guys are reading this
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 02:16:48 PM »
Unless something has changed since the initial introduction of the first UcD modules, they still cannot be serviced in the field.
If a manufacturer is incorporating the Hypex technology in their products and an amplifier fails, they can't service the module in house, it has to go back to the Netherlands and Hypex services the module.
 This means that the company using the Hypex modules has to stock an inventory of modules in house to swap out for modules that failed in the field. This is potentially much more expensive than having a small spare parts inventory and ordering a few more transistors or what have you, on an as needed basis.
 It may be that the UcD modules actually did not sound good enough to suit Paul and we know he didn't want to pony up for the NCore technology, so a different direction is taken.
 It will be interesting to see if his "statement" amplifier is priced similarly to amplifiers using NCore technology and how it compares sonically. He may have a better profit margin on an in house amp that is in the same price range as an NCore based amp.
Scotty

DaveC

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 03:14:14 PM »
I think there is a $9500 minimum retail price for a finished NCore amp from whoever builds them. That is a lot of cash...

Should be interesting to see what PSA comes up with!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 07:27:56 AM »
Certainly is for OEM modules. Greg from GTAudio and I were considering the N-cores for the subs. Not a good experience with Manf. A price set was not to our liking and frankly just turned us off.
   PS audio is using a marketing ploy to advertise their new stuff as well. Just do not get the trash talk as they sell accessories for other products. It will bite them in the arse. Time will tell. You do not put down others products when your in the business. I made that mistake you do not want to do that. It was not cool. Sorry Merrill.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline ampdesigner333

• Certifiable
  • WE DELIVER THE DETAIL
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 09:04:21 AM »
One word.....

MARASCHINO

Hear what 20+ years of designing Class-D yields.

Oh yeah, and check out my comment on that AC thread :)
Digital Amplifier Company
  Makers of the "Cherry Amplifier" (R)
    WE DELIVER THE DETAIL
      ---- www.CherryAmp.com ----