Author Topic: N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp  (Read 14387 times)

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Re: N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 07:20:40 AM »
Wow. That is one sweet looking amp. It definitely looks like it was worth the 4 month wait. Also I've done what topround said for break-in. I've bought a Coby or Memorex CDP from Target etc and destroyed it letting it play non-stop to break-in equipment for weeks.

Thanks!  I think I have an old $20 DVD player laying around the house that I can use... or how about hooking up an FM tuner?  Will that work?

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 07:42:13 AM »
Wow. That is one sweet looking amp. It definitely looks like it was worth the 4 month wait. Also I've done what topround said for break-in. I've bought a Coby or Memorex CDP from Target etc and destroyed it letting it play non-stop to break-in equipment for weeks.

Thanks!  I think I have an old $20 DVD player laying around the house that I can use... or how about hooking up an FM tuner?  Will that work?

SN

The Memorex DVD/CD player I beat up on was this $30 thing from Radioshack. I swear after all was said and done I think now whenever I play stuff I hear the mechanism click and it has trouble closing.

With regard to the FM Tuner my preference was to use that for IC burn-in or preamp burn-in. It may work for amplifier break-in but I'm not technically sound enough to know. Part of the reason I used the CDP/DVD player for burn-in is that I have all sorts of burn-in discs from Isotek, Rives and some others. I would rotate that stuff in with all sorts of other music to give the amp and speakers a workout.

Rich helped me find some complex music selections. If I can find the e-mail or PM I will send you what I have. It helped when I was breaking in some Morrow cables as well as my Jolida amp.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 07:55:50 AM »
  Just remember that the dielectrics need time to settle. So no 24/7 of continuous play. 24 hours on 5 hours or so off. 200 hours and your ready for prime time.
   Enjoy the trip. The Dodd will take 200 hours as well according to other owners.
   Gentleman start your engines.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 08:08:51 AM »
to save your sanity, you want to run some dummy loads since you're not trying to break in the speakers, just the electronics.

These are your friend in that instance:

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=019-020

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

DonZ

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 06:20:33 PM »
Pretty sexy, old friend! 8) You don't happen to have a schematic of the beast, do you? Being new to the hybrid tube/transistor topology, I am curious as to how the tubes are deployed vs. the transistors. Are the Q's used in the output stages or just in the power supply section? And are the monster caps used on the output or also in the PS?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks,

DZ

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 06:57:13 PM »
Pretty sexy, old friend! 8) You don't happen to have a schematic of the beast, do you? Being new to the hybrid tube/transistor topology, I am curious as to how the tubes are deployed vs. the transistors. Are the Q's used in the output stages or just in the power supply section? And are the monster caps used on the output or also in the PS?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Thanks,

DZ

I don't have a schematic.  Maybe others who read this might?  As far as the tech stuff goes, I'm not gonna be much of a help. 

Tubes on the front end and Moscodes (some kind of Mosfet/Cascode combo created by George Kaye, I think?) on the back end.

300WPC into 8ohms.

Hello fellow "Nervosians"... anybody have any answers for my buddy Don on his questions?

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

DonZ

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 04:09:01 AM »
Yup; you are correct. Need to register to view them.  Something else to occupy a sub-zero weekend...  8)

Thanks for the guidance. Maybe I can figure it out when I see some pix!

Don

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 07:04:43 AM »
The big electros right rear are storage for the 90V ss output stage rails. Another smaller pair, black, center of PCB, is storage for the 500V B+ for the tube regulators which are the three center tubes. 390V reg to 4 signal tubes at front.

I don't know what you mean by Q's.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 09:38:12 AM »
Yup; you are correct. Need to register to view them.  Something else to occupy a sub-zero weekend...  8)

Thanks for the guidance. Maybe I can figure it out when I see some pix!

Don

Good to have you here DonZ. A great place to be.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 06:34:16 AM »
OK.  I realize that there's two separate threads going on here that I initiated regarding my system: The Dodd Pre-amp one and this one on my Moscode 600 Amp.

For simplicity right now, I'll post here.  I exchanged e-mails with Gary Dodd asking him about break in.  He told me that if I run my tuner through the pre (even with the pre-amp on "mute") it will get in the break-in hours I need and not have to bother anybody else if they're watching TV in that same (family) room.

Of course, running the Moscode along with everything else will "kill two birds with one stone" and I won't have to run my CDP to death in the process!

Needless to say, getting in some listening hours with my CDP is even better. :thumb:

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 10:10:14 AM »
Needless to say, getting in some listening hours with my CDP is even better. :thumb:

That's how I look at it. New gear is never so bad that I can't enjoy music, so I just play it knowing that over time it will get even better, then I don't think about it anymore. I don't count hours waiting for the cake to be done. I do let line level gear run overnight though, cranked up high into lowest ohm load I have at the time.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2013, 07:11:09 AM »
  What ?? No special gold plated Quantum  break in clock ? Good point Rich.
    What is really cool when one experiences a change while listening.

charles

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »
 To Moscode or not to Moscode is the question ?

charles

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 10:56:29 AM »
Do NOT run thed syetm for consectutive days! Play it each day for a few hours at a time, twice daily.

I hope when it is all hooked  up correctly( don't forget to plug it in) that it sounds glorious.

If it doesn't...don't fret it probably needs a bunch of burn in

get a cheap cd player and run it in repeat mode for a few days, don't worry about the tubes...they need to be burned in as well.
turn it off for a few hours every day
Do it for a week! Sounds crazy but it will sound a lot better