Author Topic: Preamp Modifications  (Read 19886 times)

AcidJazz

Re: Preamp Modifications
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2013, 03:26:18 PM »
Doesn't CAT use a ladder attenuator

Yeap, 23 step. I wanted 'finer' steps since I listen mostly late at night and this CAT is 1990 vintage. My next updating would be the electrolytic caps...

Here is a pic of the old vol/balance..

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2013, 05:52:23 AM »
I think the original CAT's were notorious for having rather large steps, so you were either too loud or too soft and usually never quite right.

I think there is an easy way to solve for that though (engineers, please correct me if I am wrong) by installing a switch with a second grounding resistor with a value that would allow a half step.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #47 on: February 05, 2013, 08:14:21 AM »
Here is a shot of the Khozmos in my CAT...was worth all of its 200.$

As a former CAT owner. Curious as to the difference had from the Khozmos. I'm considering them for the Loesch & Weisner preamp. What did you gain ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

AcidJazz

« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 06:28:21 PM »
Aside from smaller steps of volume...a seemingly deeper more expansive soundstage, a 'softening' of a hardness I thought was there at higher volumes (I sorta convinced myself I was hearing the hardness of the metal film resistors lol).
THe expanded soundstage thing might just be having the right and left channel pots separate. Then there is the elimination of the balance control straddling the right and left channel together.

Rollo, your  old CAT says Hi...  :thumb:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2013, 09:05:51 AM »
 Cool thanks. The CAT was a dear friend. Glad to hear it has a new good home. They are special in the preamp arena. Revealing as all heck. ENJOY !!!

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.