Author Topic: Weston Accoustics Topaz Monoblocks  (Read 4790 times)

Offline bhobba

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Weston Accoustics Topaz Monoblocks
« on: December 11, 2012, 11:32:37 PM »
Hi Guys

I recently ordered some amps from a guy out my way here in Australia called Weston Accoustics:
http://www.westonacoustics.com/

I posted the link because while the guy is well known out here in Aus it probably is not that well known where you are.

They arrived down at the speaker maker I know out my way (Mike Lenehan) to check out on his reference system prior to me lugging them back to my place.  I had planned to go down there with a friend Friday then take them back to my place.

Anyway they turned up Monday and I had a phone call from an excited Mike Lenehan saying this was one beautiful amp, a very very beautiful amp and said I must come down the next day to hear the amp on the ML2 Limited Editions before they are sent off.  I was surprised because this is not like Mike - he has been around a while, heard all sorts of stuff and is a bit hardened and hard to impress.  So I knew something was afoot.  Anyway here is the write-up about what I heard as well as the link to the forum here in Aus where I posted it:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/48390-earle-weston-topaz-kt120-monoblocks/page__pid__810933#entry810933  

They are simply the best valve amps I have heard and possibly the best amp I have ever heard.  I was down at Mikes on the Gold Coast listening to them through the ML2 LE's.  The first thing I noticed was just how live and real the midrange was - a cut above any other amp I have heard - even my Trafomatic.  To verify this I did a direct comparison and the Traf had a haze compared to this amp.  This was totally unexpected - previously nothing had been able to even touch little alone best the mid-range divineness of the Traf - but this did - and by a wide margin   I had thought this simply was not possible but through Earls amp voices are just so clear, real, live and present.  Peggy Lee Fever sounded like I had never heard before - it was as if Peggy Lee was right in front of you - simply amazing.  All vocals we heard with this amp was the same - a palpable immediacy as if the performer was there.

Now for a tougher test - how did they compare to the Arions that also really impressed me.  Well obviously they had greater power and they are just so smooth with dynamics that jump out at you.  They constantly entice you to wind them up and before you know it you have reached frightening levels.  They don't sound SS or valve they have a distinct non hi fi sound that sounds real.  They have extremely good bass grip and the bass has a strong full character I don't hear on other amps - even the Mac 501's.  The Topazes, while having good bass for a valve amp, were not in the hunt.  If you wind the Topaz's up there comes a point where it starts to sound brittle and you have to pull back - not so with the Arions.   Superb on highly dynamic material like Christina Aguilera's Ain't No Other Man and a headbangers delight   Great for home theatre.  But for vocals they do not have the immediacy of the Topaz's - it does not sound as live and present.

When I heard the amps I thought maybe overall the Arion had a slight edge but after mulling it over I have to say I really can't decide.  They are two different sounding amps.  On the right material, namely vocals like Peggy Lee and Sinatra, the Topaz's are better, on highly dynamic material and home theatre the Arions.  I intend on keeping both amps.

Thanks
Bill

« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 11:34:23 PM by bhobba »

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: Weston Accoustics Topaz Monoblocks
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 02:47:40 AM »
This gear looks very interesting, I would love to hear one of his preamps!
If you guys arrange a tour please put me on the list, I would even pay for shipping.

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 07:01:42 AM »
  Bill I felt the same way directly compared to my SET amp. Vocals with the SET had more presence. The stock Sovtek 6H30 is a good tube however the DR versions are much better . With the DR the difference narrowed to a point where it was really close.
   Even the Electro Harminox  tonality wise  are a step above the Sovtek 6H30. There is a mod now for the Arion that available that also improves that midrange presence. 
     I would have Mike L. contact Mike K. at Arion to get it done for you.
    Last night I put back the SET amps since there were improvements to our system that were made after we decided to go with the Arions. To my surprise the SETs were better than before in the system. Yes the vocals had a presence the Arion could not match now. Adding those Deulund caps to the preamp using Cryoed Ribbon- Tek cables did the trick. Next up is a pair of Deulund Cast caps for the Arions.
   Now the SET amps and he Arions sound great each have their own merits no one being better just different. I stand corrected.
    Enjoy the new toy. Thanks for the info cool stuff.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 07:33:59 AM »
I have had their link in my favorites for a while. Have a look at the internal pics, very nice work.

http://www.westonacoustics.com/page007.html

The preamps also look great, reasonable prices for the level of quality. Looks like transformer coupled in and out? Shallco remote attenuator is made here in NC!

Offline rpf

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:27:55 AM »
Beautiful amps!

I want these:    :drool:

http://www.westonacoustics.com/service5.html
Mac Mini>Singxer SU-1>Lampizator Amber II>Rogue Cronus Magnum>Aural Acoustics Model B.
TWL PCs; Audio Envy ICs & SCs; Purist Digital IC; PI Audio USB Cable and Buss-Stop.
Sonos Connect, iFi SPDIF iPurifier, Schiit Modi Multibit, Audioengine 5+

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 11:21:43 AM »

I'm with you rpf. 120wpc for $7k/pr.
But that's a lot of iron.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 01:56:08 PM »
Even the Electro Harminox  tonality wise  are a step above the Sovtek 6H30. There is a mod now for the Arion that available that also improves that midrange presence. 

I would have Mike L. contact Mike K. at Arion to get it done for you.

Hi Charles

Thanks for that mate - I will pass it onto Mike L.

Thanks
Bill

Offline bhobba

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 02:02:04 PM »
This gear looks very interesting, I would love to hear one of his preamps!
If you guys arrange a tour please put me on the list, I would even pay for shipping.

Hi Mike

I really wish something like that could be arranged but Earle has so much work its a nine month wait time to get any of his stuff - I know because that's what I had to wait after hearing his amps early this year while in Canberra.  He doesn't really have any stuff for demoes or tours - purely from word of mouth he has more work that he can handle.

Thanks
Bill

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 04:46:45 PM »
OK,
Thanks Bill
just thought I'd ask

mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.