Author Topic: MY PREAMP ADVENTURE  (Read 59851 times)

evan1

Re: MY PREAMP ADVENTURE
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2011, 12:56:49 PM »
 What about the Beacon 2 ? That thing was killer in my system. With so many options available as  tubed rectification and or a beefed up power supply for under $1200.
  If you could hear a CAT ultimate, Audio research or CJ you are not going to know what a premiere pre can do. Or try a DAC with a volume control and eliminate the pre. The only passive stuff that has great sound are the Bent, S&B and Georges Lightspeed IMO. Trying a passive or DAC with volume control will give you a better picture as to what the Pre actually does or does not do.
  swap meets can be fun but usually do not allow you to here the full potential of the pieces. other opinions, comments, set up allhave a bearing on what you hear. it takes about three days for the particular piece to settle back in. Swapping in a short period of time is fun but not really valid. Take your time with each piece. sometimes at first listen the excitement or part of the spectrum thrills you but after some time fatigue sets in. Play all your favorite music not just the audiophile tracks. Have fun.

charles

Blair sent me a PM and I'm hoping to have the Beacon2 here soon. As far as given the pre's some time to break in ? They are extremely broken in . To me I think its what your ears like. Mike and Chris know what a few of the pieces should sound like having experience with them and if they don't think they sound good in my system I have to go with that.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 01:16:20 PM by evan1 »

evan1

« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2011, 12:57:57 PM »
Do you want to hear my VAC pre?  She's got all new Pavane tubes and has been sounding good lately.

-Mike

Not in my price range, but thanks

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2011, 01:40:56 PM »
They often go for $2K used.  That sounds like it's in the range w/ the rest of your gear, no?

-Mike

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2011, 02:26:15 PM »
http://www.sasaudiolabs.com/pream11a.htm

Chris brought this to a rave once. I liked what I heard, A nice improvement over the 10A.

See if one shows up used.

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

evan1

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 02:32:35 PM »
They often go for $2K used.  That sounds like it's in the range w/ the rest of your gear, no?

-Mike

True , but a rare find. If I went to the 2g mark I would shell out another 500.00 and buy Bill's Purity.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 02:33:56 PM »
maybe Bill would send us one "try"
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

evan1

« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2011, 02:34:57 PM »
Well the MW 9.0 w/ tube rectification showed up today and I have been listening to it for about an hr and I have to say it is a night and day difference between it and the regular unmodded 9.0. Unbelievable.

evan1

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2011, 02:35:50 PM »
maybe Bill would send us one "try"

He offered, but he needs it for the Rave on the 12th and also he had a few inquiries about it

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2011, 02:39:21 PM »
Love to hear more about the MW

evan1

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 02:56:39 PM »
Love to hear more about the MW

You will

lonewolfny42

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 08:08:42 PM »
http://www.sasaudiolabs.com/pream11a.htm

Chris brought this to a rave once. I liked what I heard, A nice improvement over the 10A.

See if one shows up used.

Mike

It was not the 11A....it was the 10A....and that was at Levi's Rave...few years ago Mike.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2011, 08:09:50 PM »
Well the MW 9.0 w/ tube rectification showed up today and I have been listening to it for about an hr and I have to say it is a night and day difference between it and the regular unmodded 9.0. Unbelievable.

Well....that's good... 8)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2011, 02:39:00 AM »
I remember the 10A, but did you not bring an 11A to Andy's house for a rave?

I know I heard a 11A somewhere, it was silver colored I believe.
The 10A was my first rave.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2011, 07:30:49 AM »
 What about the Beacon 2 ? That thing was killer in my system. With so many options available as  tubed rectification and or a beefed up power supply for under $1200.
  If you could hear a CAT ultimate, Audio research or CJ you are not going to know what a premiere pre can do. Or try a DAC with a volume control and eliminate the pre. The only passive stuff that has great sound are the Bent, S&B and Georges Lightspeed IMO. Trying a passive or DAC with volume control will give you a better picture as to what the Pre actually does or does not do.
  swap meets can be fun but usually do not allow you to here the full potential of the pieces. other opinions, comments, set up allhave a bearing on what you hear. it takes about three days for the particular piece to settle back in. Swapping in a short period of time is fun but not really valid. Take your time with each piece. sometimes at first listen the excitement or part of the spectrum thrills you but after some time fatigue sets in. Play all your favorite music not just the audiophile tracks. Have fun.

charles

Blair sent me a PM and I'm hoping to have the Beacon2 here soon. As far as given the pre's some time to break in ? They are extremely broken in . To me I think its what your ears like. Mike and Chris know what a few of the pieces should sound like having experience with them and if they don't think they sound good in my system I have to go with that.

Cool. What I meant was to allow the preamps to settle in a few days.  thats all. The only thing that is important is how it sounds in your system to you. . Live with each a while ans listen alone with no suggestive thoughts, just yours.
   Both Chris and mike have good ears but they are not your ears. They may know how they sound elsewhere with different fear. Component "A" will not sound the same in system "B" The room the associated gear all contribute to the final sound. I know you know this just reminding you of it. Again have fun and enjoy the ride.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2011, 01:11:56 PM »
Tubes are always nice in a pre! And an amp for that matter!
lol
M
Its cool ndude.