Author Topic: Nightshade Beacon 2 Tour  (Read 27474 times)

Niteshade

Re: Nightshade Beacon 2 Tour
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2011, 06:27:17 AM »
Tube amplifiers and preamplifiers work best when there is a balance going on regarding how the active elements (tubes) are driven. The balance is delicate, yet once found highly stable. Tubes have load lines. These are graphical representations of how a tube operates under specific conditions. It is best to design under derivatives of these graphical representations.

The fun part: There are nearly an infinite number of derivatives!  The Beacon Two is using a low impedance/low current design that does not stress any component within the preamp.

I am very happy that those on the tour are being so descriptive!

Some changes that can be made to the Beacon Two without disturbing anything:

1. A different linear volume control**
2. Different coupling capacitors**
3. Higher current L-C-R based power supply (this WILL change the audio circuit!!!)

**The Beacon Two can remain the Beacon Two with these changes since they will not effect circuit balance.

I can design a preamp based on the above modifications. It will be a totally different preamp and named the Beacon Two SE+. SE stands for Super Edition.

The volume control: Presently, I am using a carbon track POT. They are dead silent and have fantastic fidelity. Not only that, but are cleanable and have a lifespan of at least 30 years. Doesn't get much better than that. A word of caution: If a totally enclosed volume control is used, it can NOT be cleaned. The part will have to be removed. It has been my experience that they do not last nearly as long. I will have to research this. What is in there is nearly ideal. What are some suggestions?

Tube rectification: I do like it since it's another user-replaceable component. A tube rectifier is available upon request and some people may find a sonic difference. I recently came out with an upgrade to the tube rectified edition and there is no extra charge!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 06:05:52 AM »
rollo, scroll halfway down this page to read about tube vs SS rectification:
http://www.angelfire.com/on/vacuumtubes/

Niteshade

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 11:49:09 AM »
Interesting article.

The current demands of a tube preamplifier are as minimal as it gets, especially for a Beacon Two, Three or Four. This is why the difference between tube & SS rectification is not that noticeable. It has been my experience that small signal tubes should not be driven hard or anywhere near their plate dissipation when called into service for a preamplifier.

With tube amplifiers, there is a distinct difference between the delivery quality of  tube and solid state rectifiers. As the article states, it has to do with voltage sag. I have the option of switchable tube or solid state rectification for amplifiers. Why debate over what option you should have when either can be chosen with the flip of a switch.  8)

Blair

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2011, 08:35:21 AM »

Thanks Rich a good and informative read. He describes exactly what I am hearing. Voltage regulation appears to be key when designing a tubed rectified component. Which costs money to do.   The changes I'm suggesting to the Beacon are what I would want for my personal piece. As it is,  very good for the price point.
  I perfer tubed rectification. That is all we  have owned in our tube life. The only all SS Pre we had was a Stan Klyne SK5A.  Mr Klyne knows his SS in spades. Just a bit expensive for most. An Audible Illusions was up next. To warm and dark and those dual volume controls drove us nuts. The next up was a CAT SL1 with upgraded Mk 2 SS power supply. We will never forget the difference with the upgraded power supply. A Major leap forward. At the end of the day a bit aggressive on top compared to the Loesch. However the inner detail and cues that make it sound real was so inviting we lived with the rest until the Loesch appeared. CAT sold. Loesch in.
 The Loesch Pre has General Radio mono tubed power supplies. Just less aggressive in its presentation of the upper midrange and treble. When the recording is spot on with the Beacon and ones source component is capable the sound is glorious. If not the sound becomes fatiguing after a while.  The Beacon is dead neutral and will reveal all, good or bad. For me personally the tube will add the shaping of the sound that makes us warm and fuzzy inside.  :).
  We had several visitors over for a listen. With rock and blues the Beacon shinned. Vocals and sax could be a tad aggressive at times. Even with recordings we know are not so.
 Now saying all that was based on using Telefunken 12AT7s in the CDP for the audition. . Using Mullard 12AT7s in the CDP helped big time in reducing the upper midrange energy. Much more to our taste.
  My SS based friends LOVED it as is. both left mumbling something about trying one out in their systems. That is a huge compliment from these guys. Believe me. Their nervosa is up bigtime. I love when that happens to my SS friends.  :lol: A final review to come.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2011, 05:42:32 PM »
My SS based friends LOVED it as is. both left mumbling something about trying one out in their systems. That is a huge compliment from these guys. Believe me. Their nervosa is up bigtime. I love when that happens to my SS friends.  :lol: A final review to come.  

When is the last time you heard someone bragging about basking in the glow of thier transistors?   :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2011, 05:50:58 PM »
I'm a solid state guy, but will admit that no one strives for their electronics to sound like solid state (other than bass control).

Niteshade

« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2011, 07:03:03 AM »
A tube pre + SS amp can sound exceptionally good!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2011, 08:07:25 AM »
  OK changed out the Teles and put back the Mullards [ original Lector tubes] . What I realized after all the experimentation is that the Beacon is a Chameleon . It doesn't change colors but it reveals every change in cabling. A very good thing indeed. If ya like neutral this baby is for you. 

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2011, 11:18:17 AM »

Thanks Rich a good and informative read. He describes exactly what I am hearing. Voltage regulation appears to be key when designing a tubed rectified component. Which costs money to do.   The changes I'm suggesting to the Beacon are what I would want for my personal piece. As it is,  very good for the price point.
  I perfer tubed rectification. That is all we  have owned in our tube life. The only all SS Pre we had was a Stan Klyne SK5A.  Mr Klyne knows his SS in spades. Just a bit expensive for most. An Audible Illusions was up next. To warm and dark and those dual volume controls drove us nuts. The next up was a CAT SL1 with upgraded Mk 2 SS power supply. We will never forget the difference with the upgraded power supply. A Major leap forward. At the end of the day a bit aggressive on top compared to the Loesch. However the inner detail and cues that make it sound real was so inviting we lived with the rest until the Loesch appeared. CAT sold. Loesch in.
 The Loesch Pre has General Radio mono tubed power supplies. Just less aggressive in its presentation of the upper midrange and treble. When the recording is spot on with the Beacon and ones source component is capable the sound is glorious. If not the sound becomes fatiguing after a while.  The Beacon is dead neutral and will reveal all, good or bad. For me personally the tube will add the shaping of the sound that makes us warm and fuzzy inside.  :).
  We had several visitors over for a listen. With rock and blues the Beacon shinned. Vocals and sax could be a tad aggressive at times. Even with recordings we know are not so.
 Now saying all that was based on using Telefunken 12AT7s in the CDP for the audition. . Using Mullard 12AT7s in the CDP helped big time in reducing the upper midrange energy. Much more to our taste.

charles

Sir Charles came over this past Monday (MLK Day) and we listened to the Nightshade Beacon 2 preamp coupled with my Loesch & Wiesner 300B SET monoblocks, cheapo Philips 963 SACD player feeding my Tannoy Gold 12" dual concentrics in custom cabinets. For the price point, the Beacon 2 is very, very good! I love the sound of the 6SN7 dual triodes. What's great about this pre-amp is that you can roll a tremendous amount of different vintage & different branded 6SN7GT's in the preamp to get the sound you prefer.

We compared the Nightshade to my Custom Built Single Triode Linestage (171A Triode) with dual mono Gen Rad 1201B tube regulated power supplies. The Nightshade didn't have the refinement or overall naturalness of the 171A (I would never expect it to) but it was very good! I'd be really curious to hear it with a better power supply with the 5AR4 tube rectification.

For value, the Nightshade Beacon 2 is a winner! It also appears to be well made & built!

My $0.02,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2011, 05:56:29 PM »
Any more thoughts on this pre?
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2011, 07:28:40 AM »
I was on the tour and was quite pleased with the Beacon II,,, I should have one in my possesion in about 6 weeks or so.I really like the tonal qualities,soundstage etc,,I don't have the words,,but to me the characteristics of the tubes really come thru,,at least I thought so.

evan1

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2011, 04:46:04 AM »
I'm going to put the Beacon II through its paces today with the LH cables. Anyone get any blasts of static pops through their speakers with this . It happened twice after a few minutes after I turned on my amp. One thing I would like to suggest is that Blair send out 2 pairs of the LH interconnects .1 for the amp and 1 for the cd so we can get a feel of his cables without mixing them with another brand. Just my thoughts.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2011, 11:13:03 AM »
I noted the same in the AC thread when I had it, I was told to turn on everything in my system except amp, wait a minute, then power up amp. Followed that procedure and didn't have another problem.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Niteshade

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2011, 03:42:56 PM »
IF there are any questions- let me know.

It is best to turn the amp on last in order to let everything else settle down first. If the amp is on first, it is not unusual to hear artifacts as other things are turn on afterwords.

evan1

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2011, 05:00:05 PM »
IF there are any questions- let me know.

It is best to turn the amp on last in order to let everything else settle down first. If the amp is on first, it is not unusual to hear artifacts as other things are turn on afterwords.

My amp gets turned on last. It happened also in  the middle of a song, a big pop. Might just be the tubes warming up