Author Topic: Nightshade Beacon 2 Tour  (Read 27475 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Nightshade Beacon 2 Tour
« on: December 21, 2010, 08:53:31 AM »
  Shipped and on its way. So far all positive reviews. Will do a full write up.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Re: Nightshade Beacon 2 Tour
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 11:32:53 AM »
Excellant, I really enjoyed it, but couldn't articulate why to best describe it.

Because of my time with the Beacon 2 I pulled the trigger on the deal Bill made me on the Purity One.

I hope you get the LH-1 ICs as well.

Gene
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 10:31:30 AM »
It's in da house. The crimson red [ maroon] is quite comforting with the blond wood side panels. Well it looks the part. Using two 6SN7 tubes and an external power supply, two inputs , one output. A IC named LH-1 was also included.
   First up the IC [ CDP to Preamp]. Neutral as neutral can be. No highlighting of any part of the spectrum. Excellent bass. So far so good. It replaced a Harmonix golden ratio , no slouch. MIA nuttin so far.
   Hooked up Beacon with JPS SC3 IC to amps and off to the races. DEAD QUIET. Played a CD and ? This is not a wannabe it is the real deal. Details to follow. Left it on all night no issues. Tonight the serious testing begins. Out of the box surprised to say the least. Blair is on to something here boys.  More to come.

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 10:41:37 AM »
Does anybody know the output impedance of this preamp? With two triodes per channel it's probably much lower than Beacon 1.

Does the tour model have tube rectifier like this picture?  I like the mini size, it would fit into my audio cabinet' cubby where my Minimax once lived.
Thanks
Rich

http://sites.google.com/site/niteshadeaudio/Home/preamplifiers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 11:09:02 AM »
  Richadoo , no rectifier tube, just the two 6SN7s. The unit is longer. sorry no piccies I'm so bad with that.

charles

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 11:10:23 AM »
Does anybody know the output impedance of this preamp? With two triodes per channel it's probably much lower than Beacon 1.

Does the tour model have tube rectifier like this picture?  I like the mini size, it would fit into my audio cabinet' cubby where my Minimax once lived.
Thanks
Rich

http://sites.google.com/site/niteshadeaudio/Home/preamplifiers

Is that Nervosa I smell in the air?   aa
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2010, 11:20:32 AM »
Is that Nervosa I smell in the air?   aa

Always - I am changing my username to XanaX

I like to stay informed about what's new and good, for future reference...  :thumb:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2010, 11:42:37 AM »
I am changing my username to XanaX...

FYI:

XANAX XR is a prescription medication for the treatment of patients with panic disorder.....

http://www.xanax.com/

Just say no.... :rofl:

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2010, 11:49:51 AM »
Is that Nervosa I smell in the air?   aa

Always - I am changing my username to XanaX

I like to stay informed about what's new and good, for future reference...  :thumb:

I understand completely - one never knows when one will need a new preamp on a moments notice.  8)

Just like the Boy Scouts, we have to "Be Prepared."  :thumb:

(Yeah, I know, my wife doesn't buy it either.)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 11:54:31 AM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 12:17:11 PM »

[

From Blair's post on AC;

Here are the specifications:

Frequency Response: 10-30,000hz
Output impedance: 100 ohms
Inputs: 2 (standard config.)
Outputs: 1 (standard config)
Tubes: 6SN7 x 2, any variety*
Dimensions: 17x10x5 inches @ 10lbs
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 01:09:43 PM »
Wow, that's excellent.  Thanks Gene

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2010, 04:25:56 PM »
This is a nice unit, I had it for over a week and thoroughly enjoyed it. Interested in what Rollo thinks as I was a tube noob when I had the Beacon Two.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2010, 04:44:22 PM »
Interested in what Rollo thinks

Me too!   

Especially considering his own preamp (Loesch) is one of the best.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2010, 07:48:50 AM »
  Sat down , had a reference disc in the CDP "Sonny Rollins Plus Three" and pressed play. Sonny sax was just right of center [ not every component gets that right] Piano covers the entire soundstage like a real piano on stage. About 3:25 into the disc the piano hits some high notes that with some systems are bright, not so here. Notes were spot on maybe a bit smooth but there. Could have been a tad more bite and dynamic presence but the tone was wonderfull. Again with some systems this disc can be fatiguing. not so here.
  Put on Holly Cole " Don't Smoke in Bed ". the opening bass line had weight and depth but limited slam factor. No boomy effect or leanness. Holly's' voice had the usual sibilance but presented in a natural way with no sizzle or highlighting.
  OK several cuts later the sibilance was getting a bit wearing. In my initial listening session the sibilance was handled very well now its a changin. The Preamp is still breaking in.. I heard three distinct changes in the 5 hour session. So I stopped. I'm burning in the LH-1 ICs as we speak as well as the preamp. Each change heard was an improvement however the process was both pleasant and unpleasant. It needs more time. What I did not like IMO is contributed to breakinitis. I have been down this road many a time it will get better.  Don't get me wrong I really like this Preamp, but it is still changing. These are nitpicks overall so far not big criticisms.
   Overall so far when not changing it is a pleasure to listen to. My reviewer hat kept coming off as I just got into the music. That in itself is a VG thing. More to come.

charles

charles

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2010, 08:52:05 AM »
Thanks, nice job. Did you note the lack of slam while using the JPS ICs? The low output impedance should make good slam (for tubes) - my guess is the output caps are still forming up.

I'm always amazed when a un-burned component goes on publicity tour.