Author Topic: Tube rolling the Purity One  (Read 36506 times)

Offline Hugh

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Angel City Audio
Re: Tube rolling the Purity One
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2011, 10:36:40 AM »
Good point Charles.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline mdfoy

• Seeking Help
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2011, 06:49:51 AM »
All,

A little write up on my finding with the CBS/Hytron 5814 in the my Purity One.  These have turned out to be a most excellent choice. The sound stage is wide and deep.  With other tubes, on most recordings, the soundstage is behind the speakers, with the Hytron, a get an in front of the speaker effect.  I have only gotten this from a set of NOS Tung-Sol 12AU7(nice tubes that crapped out around 100 or so hours :cry:)  An example of this is Sister Moon on Herbie Hancock, Possibilities.  Percussion effects are clearly in front of the right speaker.  Bass has depth and most importantly, accuracy.  Please note, my speakers are stand mount Salk HT1s, so bass is not subterranean, but it is good.  Midrange on the Hytrons is very good, vocals are clear and inflection is very nice.  Piano is done very well. I was playing Keith Jarret - La Scala, and guests thought a real piano was playing in the living room over the holidays.

Next up is a pair of tests new, Raytheon Blackplate 12AU7, Baldwin organ stock. These are on the way from tctubes. I have a set of weak ones that sound pretty good, let's see how a "good" set stacks up.
Where there is doubt, there is no doubt

Offline mdfoy

• Seeking Help
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2011, 02:58:10 PM »
I now know why Bill likes the Raytheon Blackplate 12AU7, Baldwin organ stock so much.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2011, 08:56:52 AM »
Got 100 hours on the Siemens tubes Shadowlight lent me, just plugged in a pr. of 1967 Amperex Orange Globes, already find the mids much richer. Of course all I've heard so far is Ella Fitzgerald's voice and now a string quartet, but the Amperex seem to have been created to showcase the female voice and the 'wood' of the instruments.

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-String-Quartet-Grosse-Fuge/dp/B000003D1P/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1297356906&sr=1-5

I have a quartet of Mullards on the way from Germany, once I've put 100 hrs. on the Amperex, then 100 on the Mullards - and then I'll begin the A-B of the top 5 or 6 tubes to see which is my favorite.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2011, 08:57:40 AM »
I now know why Bill likes the Raytheon Blackplate 12AU7, Baldwin organ stock so much.

Yup, they're nice, but keep rolling, Bill's handiwork will highlight the differences between tubes.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline mdfoy

• Seeking Help
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2011, 04:37:13 PM »
etcarroll,

Which one do you like most so far?  I am wondering about some of that Euro flavor.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2011, 06:35:08 PM »
Can't really say, these are only the 2nd Euro tubes I've put in. I still have to get 100 hours on Mullards and Telefunkens, plus I have a pr. of '64 Bugle Boys I want to break in.

Still, I really like these Amperex Orange Globes, maybe it's just the recency effect, I dunno, but they sound great. Listening to Clark Terry on trumpet and flugelhorn, and it's sweet.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2011, 07:10:37 PM »
I now know why Bill likes the Raytheon Blackplate 12AU7, Baldwin organ stock so much

And I accidently sent my pair out with a Purity Reference to a reviewer :duh

Guess it's back to my box of NOS 12AU7's to see what else I can come up with. I think I have another pair in there somewhere :roll:
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2011, 07:52:22 PM »
So I put some Mullards in, and I'm thinking these may be it. They have 50+ hours in the pre, and today I was cleaning jazz albums I bought, with one of them playing, The Avant-Garde, and twice I had to shut down the VPI and re-queue what had just played and sit down and listen to it. The sparkle in the top end was like nothing I'd heard to date.

I still have a pair of  Bugle Boys, and ribbed plate Telefunkens to audition, but they'll have to be REALLY SPECIAL to knock off these Mullards.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 07:56:38 PM by etcarroll »

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2011, 03:44:49 AM »
if you can find a pair to try of the Amperex Holland longplate D getter 12AU7 bugle boys or PQ's or the Amperex Holland 7316 longplate D getter 12AU7 varient depending on your system i think you may prefer them to any other 12AU7 out there. these tubes were made from the mid 50's with a few still being made in early 1962. D getters are awesome tubes that are very balanced in the highs,mids and lows and have a beautiful sparkle on the top end
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:46:31 AM by Bunky »
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »
Finally got around to the ribbed Teles, have had them on in background for 50 hours playing Pandora.

Just put on DSOTM SACD, oh, oh, the Mullards may be in trouble.

Deep, rich voicing, great soundstage, excellent decay on all the bells and other sound effects - I'd have to say PRAT is best to date.

Have to go to gym, then come back and try vinyl.

Can't wait, I'm giddy as a school girl on 1st date! :)

So I put some Mullards in, and I'm thinking these may be it. They have 50+ hours in the pre, and today I was cleaning jazz albums I bought, with one of them playing, The Avant-Garde, and twice I had to shut down the VPI and re-queue what had just played and sit down and listen to it. The sparkle in the top end was like nothing I'd heard to date.

I still have a pair of  Bugle Boys, and ribbed plate Telefunkens to audition, but they'll have to be REALLY SPECIAL to knock off these Mullards.

evan1

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2011, 10:15:29 AM »
The Gym  :rofl:

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2011, 12:06:11 PM »
Dude - why are you clubbing me?!?

I work out..........

.....sorta

..... kinda

...... sometimes.

evan1

« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2011, 12:12:57 PM »
Dude - why are you clubbing me?!?

I work out..........

.....sorta

..... kinda

...... sometimes.

I just started a new exercise program. Get off ass and flip record to other side. Haven't worked out like that since the 80's  :thumb:

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #74 on: September 24, 2011, 12:40:15 PM »
Wait till you get some 45rpm titles, you'll feel like a jack in the box you'll be jumping up so much.