Author Topic: Digital Amp Co Cherry Ultra Monos in the system  (Read 6054 times)

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Digital Amp Co Cherry Ultra Monos in the system
« on: February 12, 2012, 02:02:20 PM »
In case folks didn't see from Tommy's circle at AC:

Tommy was over for the Superbowl and left some goodies behind - A pair of Cherry Ultra Monos.

I didn't think bass could get any better than what I was already getting from my stereo Plus (I think it's closer to an Ultra actually) but it can. Deep, stump-pulling bass from these monos that I can't believe. The rest of the frequency range is excellent as well - maybe a bit more refined than my stereo Cherry and better imaging too, maybe because of the dual-mono config. Anyway, a few quick snaps from my not-so-good camera   Stereo on the bottom shelf, monos above. That'd be 5400 watts of transformer there 

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Digital Amp Co Cherry Ultra Monos in the system
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 08:41:03 AM »
 Looking good Mike. Tommy makes some nice gear. It would be fun at your Rave to check out the Arion hybrid amps if you like.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 03:19:56 PM »
Are you talking about the Arion RS-500 monoblocks?  I don't know much about the company but this review http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/1010/arion_audio_rs_500.htm was the first I came across.

Sure I'd love to hear them.

Oops now I see you mention hybrid and I don't think the above review is of hybrid amps. (Hybrid = tube + Class D?)

I have bugged Tommy to plop a tube stage into a Cherry and now I see that this is already being done.

-Mike

Offline bhobba

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 03:39:32 PM »
Hi Guys

A Rave comparing those two would be AWESOME.  I, and a number of guys out my way have been looking for some set and forget amps.  I have heard good things about both and would love to get some info on how they compare.  I have had a chat to Tommy a while ago about getting some of his amps out my way in Aus but other things intervened.

Anyway heading on out today with a guy to check out a few things such as the Off-Ramp compared to the internal USB of my PDX and I know he is looking for a new amp as well - will mention to him about the Cherry's and this possible shootout - I think a lot of people will be very interested.

Thanks
Bill

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 04:30:25 PM »
I think both amps will  be at my place this Saturday...

I'm really looking forward to it :thumb:
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 09:47:36 AM »
Nice looking system there mfsoa. I wish things had come together a bit better at RMAF so we could have heard the full potential of these amps with the new VS speakers. (I blame it only on timing and lack of burn in of various pieces and damaged products during shipping).

I would be interested in hearing more thoughts after some time with the setup. Of course it would look better with a Purity preamp in there but we can overlook that :rofl:

Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 08:20:47 AM »
  A bit off subject. Heard the Silver Statement recently. OMG, Very well done Sir.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 07:08:47 PM »
"Stump pulling bass"

What a great phrase.

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 07:53:08 PM »
"Stump pulling bass"

What a great phrase.

I hope it was a maple stump,,, maple sounds best.   ;)
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 07:57:10 PM »

Tastes good too...

Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 08:03:42 PM »

Tastes good too...

Which reminds me that my neighbor was out tapping my sugar maple trees today,,,, sure wish them Cherry monos were as easy to get.  :rofl:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 07:39:37 AM »
Listened to the mono's and the stereo Cherry at Barry's this past weekend. In that system, with the prototype Gallo signature speakers, the stereo Cherry was clearly the winner. While the mono's had plenty of oomph, the stereo Cherry had more finesse and texture. Perhaps because it has thousands of hours on it and the mono's are somewhat new? Maybe synergy with the speakers? Who knows.

Anyway, that was just my impression from what I heard.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 07:57:36 AM »
Listened to the mono's and the stereo Cherry at Barry's this past weekend. In that system, with the prototype Gallo signature speakers, the stereo Cherry was clearly the winner. While the mono's had plenty of oomph, the stereo Cherry had more finesse and texture. Perhaps because it has thousands of hours on it and the mono's are somewhat new? Maybe synergy with the speakers? Who knows.

Anyway, that was just my impression from what I heard.

Came away with the same impression. In all fairness they do require extended break -in time. Mucho hours.

charles