Author Topic: Serious Headphones --- who uses them and....  (Read 25431 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Serious Headphones --- who uses them and....
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2012, 08:02:08 AM »
Whatever headphones you purchase, you really need to hear the Woo Audio amps to drive them. Heard them at the NY show this past weekend and they were spectacular - all models.

Of course they had amazing headphones paired with them.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2012, 12:16:07 PM »
+1 on the Woo Audio. Gorgeous workmanship and some of the best sound Ive heard...
Its cool ndude.

dpastern

« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2012, 08:03:19 PM »
I'm using a pair of Audeze LCD2's with the standard headphone amp on my Audiolab 8000c preamp.  No dedicated cabling or headphone amp - yet.  Plans are afoot in the future though ;-)

These are brilliant headphones, easily surpassing my elderly Sennheiser HD540 gold reference phones from a near 25 years ago!  The only area that they're slightly weaker imho is in the treble - a touch bright/sharp, but not overly so.  After doing some reading on Orthos, brightish treble is one of the drawbacks of the design it seems.

Dave

Offline Face

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2012, 06:11:34 AM »
Finally picked up a pair of Hifiman HE-6's, couldn't be more pleased.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2012, 05:11:51 PM »
Picked up a pair of Senn HD650's w/Cardas cable. I gues that's not serious enough but they sound nice. :roll:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2012, 05:50:51 AM »
The Senn's are an awesome headphone, but they do need a decent head amp to drive them properly.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2012, 02:48:05 PM »
The Senn's are an awesome headphone, but they do need a decent head amp to drive them properly.

I'm Using the Burson 160, they sound good and I'm told that it IS good. But I dont have anything to compare it to.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2012, 02:49:00 PM »
Here are the headphones I have and rotate in between. Not as serious as some others but serious for me.

I've got Sennheiser HD580, BeyerDynamic DT48 25 ohm and
AKG K701 with Balanced Fat Pipe Upgrade from Headroom.

With these headphones I use the headphone jacks on my Accuphase C200, Grant Fidelity DAC-09 or an Einar Sound headphone amplifier.

One really serious set of headphones that has caught my eye is the BeyerDynamic T5P. I just can't justify the money for this kind of headphone but it is cool nonetheless.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Response Audio
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2012, 06:14:39 PM »
Wow. This has turned into a great thread with lots of insight. My headphone amp design is taking a bit longer than expected but is coming along.
Purity orders take priority over the design of a headphone amp but we will continue on. We have also been working on a 300B amplifier design as well that we want to be in the same catagory as our Purity Reference or Statement linestages.
Design Engineer
Response Audio NY
Custom Vacuum Tube Deaign
www.ResponseAudioNY.com