Author Topic: Help - Starting to think about my next preamp  (Read 13630 times)

Bigfish8

Help - Starting to think about my next preamp
« on: October 07, 2010, 07:27:09 PM »
Guys:

I replaced an Odyssey Candela with a Mapletree Line 2E-SE a couple of years ago.  The Mapletree has upgraded resistors, upgraded caps and upgraded umbilical cord.  I run a Mullard 6X5 Rectifier and Tung-Sol 6SN7 Round Plates.  I think I have taken it as far as I can and am beginning to wonder (seriously think) if I can obtain further music improvements with another preamp?

I am kind of a fan of a simple or purist approach and do not believe a remote is essential for a preamp as I do with a TV.  One important feature is HT Bypass as unfortunately I have to incorporate the main speakers into HT when we watch movies (I wish this were not the case but I have to make concessions). 

As with the Mapletree I am interested in finding a preamp that performs like a diamond in the rough (don't we all).  I will ask Sol this weekend if he can convert a output on most preamps to HT Bypass.  IF this can be done it will open up a world of possibilities.  Two preamps that I am at least thinking about are:

1.  Lamm LL2 Deluxe
2.  Dehavilland Preamps

I would appreciate your comments on other preamps I should consider.

Thanks,

Ken

Offline Bill O'Connell

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • http://www.morningstaraudio.com
Re: Help - Starting to think about my next preamp
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 08:20:42 PM »
If I may?

Eastern Electric's new Avant preamp.
 Some photos here.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/easternelectric/dac_2.html
Bill O'Connell,
Retired /Morningstar Audio/Eastern Electric distributor for North America
847-255-1150
"If your playing more than 3 chords your just showing off"  John Lee Hooker

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 09:21:08 PM »
Congrats on the new preamp Bill!!  Looks nice...  8)

HT bypass can be added to any preamp, easy if it has two outputs and you only need one, you can make the other straight thru after the source selector.

Some other preamps that have caught my fancy over the years:
Manley Jumbo Shrimp. There is a new Manley dealer in Greensboro I think, he might have one. Forget about the original Shrimp.
(Purity Basis).
SAS 11A - a truly great preamp.
Mike Galusha knows all about the deHavilland Ultraverve.
stereofool's Audio Research Reference 1 is a fantastic preamp, with lots of I/O options, and I think it is for sale. AR holds resale value very well.

But I know you like a rich sound, so octal tubes are probably where you want to be. The Purity is 6SN7, deHavilland also.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 11:03:36 PM »
The "upgrade bug" strikes again....hey Ken.... :rofl:

Good luck with your search....some nice ones have been mentioned. :thumb:

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 05:35:34 AM »
The best preamp I've heard to date for my preferences of transparency/detail, silence... and with a little sweetness is the Cary SLP05.  It is that perfect balance of lush and detailed.  Only reason I don't have one is they're $4,k+ used.  I know, what's 4,k among friends?.. but I heard that pre at a time when I had to cut down on my obession.  

I've heard a lot of pre's over time so it's tough to say what else would be on my short list to try.. but I'd like to hear the new EE... the original Minimax really amazed me, excellent bang for the buck.  So, if they went 'all out' it is probably very nice.

Preamps I know I like are the Belles 21a (I have it, you've heard it).. We compared the 22a which I thought had a quieter background and more neutrality.  The 21a that I have is kind of like an Audible Illusions sound.. alive and organic, with the kind of flaws that come with that... higher noise floor... not perfect in the bass.  

Things like bass detail and transparency are a little dangerous territory for me to speak to... since a lot of that is easily tubes, power cords, IC's, SC's, etc.. Compare a preamp on SC3's and one with Audioquest cables and see what hapens... ;)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mfsoa

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 05:45:25 AM »
In the grand tradition of recommending gear that one owns, don't forget about the VAC products.

My Standard MKII has been to many a GTG and has always played well with the amps it has fed.

The difference we heard compared to a Tom Evans (?) ss pre at the September rave was really remarkable.

I doubt I'll ever own one of VACs better pres, so can only wonder how good the pricier models are  :roll:

-Mike

Bigfish8

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 06:30:12 AM »
Guys:

Thank you for your suggestions.  While I would love to dream about a Cary SLP05 or a Conrad Johnson-CJ-5 preamp sitting in the rack, I have yet to win the lottery! :rofl:

I purchased my current Mapletree, thanks to recommendations by Mr. TopRound and endorsed by Mr. Lonewolfny.  It is dead quite and with the tubes and upgrades I have in it I believe it performs equal to anything at its price range.

Okay, why do I think I want a new preamp?  Appropriate question, don't you think.  Nervosa of the hobby and I have read many threads that lead me to believe (I do not have experience to know) that a preamp is critical to the sound quality of a system.  A couple of the posts above lead me to believe preamps can be as critical as the amp(s), source or speakers. 

I guess in addition to your preamp recommendations, what are your experiences in evaluating different preamps?  I have attended several G2Gs locally over the past three years and the only preamp shoot-out I remember was the Belles 21A vs. the Belles 22A at Carl's and at Shane's on the same evening.  The two preamps definitely performed differently in the two systems.

Thanks,

Ken

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 06:57:11 AM »
  Both good choices Ken. However the synergy with your amp is key. Impedance mismatch must be considered BEFORE sonic considerations. What amp are you using. Input impedance ? 50K, 100k ?
  Now if you want a rich sound CJ preamps are just that. Any of the older PV series would do fine.  Do you need a phono stage ? Audible Illusions 3A is a rich preamp.
   Many choices and good suggestions here just make sure they match impedance wise.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 07:14:47 AM »
The Mapletree could possibloy be improved with a wee bit of tweaking, if oyu like the general character of it right now. Think about teflon coupling caps on either the inputs or outputs and you will most certainly move it up the chain. I have no doubt that if you contact Lloyd he might have some recommendations or suggestions of his own.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Regg

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 10:28:55 AM »
I'm starting to look for my next preamp as well. The Dude from TRL and the Lamm LL2 Deluxe seem like top contenders. However I think the best choice for me will ultimately be an Atma-Sphere preamp, since I already own one of Ralph's amps, and that way I can also keep my connections balanced.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:32:07 AM by Regg »

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 10:37:29 AM »
I want to sneak away from the room at RMAF and take a listen to Dan's new Modwright preamp.  Looks interesting.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline Face

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 06:08:06 PM »
You can also upgrade the dual gang volume controls with better pots or upgrade to all stepped attenuators. 

HT Bypass can be added to your pre as well, I own a Line 2A with HT Bypass. 

Bigfish8

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2010, 05:22:02 AM »
You can also upgrade the dual gang volume controls with better pots or upgrade to all stepped attenuators. 

My Line 2A has HT Bypass.  I realize I can push it up in performance if I pay to mod the heck out of it.  The problem with that route is I had better love it because the price of the mods are free to the next owner.  My preference would be to find another preamp rather than invest in additional mods for this one.

Thanks,

Ken

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2010, 06:30:22 AM »
  Good move Ken. One never knows what to expext with a madded version. If you could audition a moodded version first then by all means try one. If not have fun looking.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Face

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 07:53:01 AM »

My Line 2A has HT Bypass.  I realize I can push it up in performance if I pay to mod the heck out of it.  The problem with that route is I had better love it because the price of the mods are free to the next owner.  My preference would be to find another preamp rather than invest in additional mods for this one.

Thanks,

Ken
Dr. Lloyd can do the HT Bypass upgrade as it's an option, so I wouldn't consider it a mod.