Author Topic: Integrated Amplifiers - 2011 TAS Editors Choice  (Read 9263 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Integrated Amplifiers - 2011 TAS Editors Choice
« on: March 31, 2011, 11:29:48 AM »
I wouldn't put too much faith in the editor judgments, but the pictures are nice.

http://bit.ly/gzZBn7

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Integrated Amplifiers - 2011 TAS Editors Choice
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 12:37:27 PM »
I can go along with many of those (all the ones I'm familiar with). 

But I'd wonder about the Rotel (had one from about 10 years ago - well built but not good sounding). 

And I'd like to add the Redgums (especially the Sonofa'GUM SG5500) and the W4S integrateds.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 01:40:22 PM »
Noticed this little gem in the same Playback newsletter with the speaker and integrated amp lists. http://bit.ly/dTHG6o

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-8050&class=Receiver&p=i

My first real amplifier was a pretty little silver 40W stereo Onkyo stereo receiver I bought new in 1982. It was stolen while stored in CT for safe keeping while I lived in a Brooklyn dorm. Should have brought it with me...  :D

I have a Onkyo 6.1 receiver from 2003, which sounds very good with the same linear amp design as this one, called WRAT. My rx  has even lower power specs than this one but it was still able to play loudly on my Legacys which dipped down to 2ohms. This is supposed to make 80W>8R continuous or 160W > 4R short. Add in phono input, sub out, and all the digital connectivity any cool 12yo would ever need and not too bad for $300 list price. Just add a pair of vintage speakers and internet access.

Onkyo has been releasing some nice stuff lately, like stand alone stereo amps and such. Don't know if they just want to reclaim their "best of midfi" reputation or whether they want a piece of the high end table droppings, but I would not be surprised at all if this isn't a nice little sleeper. I'm looking forward to hearing it. Also wonder how much processing is in it, like bass management, etc. It has a remote too.

It's not out just yet, but look to J&R, bhphoto, or crutchfield's scratch and dent store for a good price.

A baby 50W version is probably even cheaper, still WRAT, still 4 ohm capable.
http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-8255&class=Receiver&p=f

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 09:05:20 PM »
In addition to the amp performance Onkyo always had nice tuner sections. Not only good selectivity,which is important in an area like NYC where the airwaves are crowded, but good sensitivity as well. I remember when my sister went to school up in Amherst MA she told me that her Onkyo rcvr pulled in a number of radio stations that nobody else could get.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 06:19:35 PM »
 Speaking of Integrated amps, I just pulled the trigger on a Marantz PM-11S2 from audiogon. I should be recieving it the middle of next week. Built quality is very nice.
 Hopefully it sounds good with the Ohm Walsh 2000's I have on a 4 month trial period. It will be for a second system.
 I'll put it in my main system and see how it stacks up to my seperates. We'll see if it drives the Salks HT-3's nicely.

Joe
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2011, 02:47:13 AM »
The Marantz PM-11S2 is a beauty.  I had a friend trying to push me towards it, but found something on Agon that was cheaper and more familiar.  I love beefy power supplies.   :thumb:

Offline richidoo

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2011, 08:48:55 AM »
Yeah, she sure is purdy. :drool: If it sounds as good as it looks I'll be a happy camper!
VPI classic3,3d arm, Lyra Kleos SL,K&K maxxed-out phonostage,Quadratic MC-1 SUT,Mola Mola Tambaqui Dac, Jay's Audio CDT-2 Mk.3transport,Supratek Sauvignon preamp,Frankenstein 300b mk.2 amps,FW SIT-3 amp, Purepower 1500+,Horning Eufrodite Ellipse speakers

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 09:01:11 AM »
The Marantz PM-11S2 is a beauty.  I had a friend trying to push me towards it, but found something on Agon that was cheaper and more familiar.  I love beefy power supplies.   :thumb:

Power supply in an amp is like horsepower in a car - you can never have too much.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 09:03:22 AM »
Ditto :thumb:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2011, 10:22:13 PM »
......with the Ohm Walsh 2000's I have on a 4 month trial period.

Joe...
What do you think of those speakers ? Any comments....thanks. :thumb:

Offline jbtrio

• Certifiable
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 01:40:22 PM »
Hey Chris,

The Ohms are pretty nice. They soundstage different for front firing speakers. The soundstage is mostly behind the speakers, but with good height and depth. They totally disappear.

The soundstage doesn't collapse even if you are far right or left of the speakers. Very nice if you can't sit in the sweet spot. Imaging is very good considering they have a 180 degree soundfield.

Bass is fast and articulate and go down into the high 30's or so. Tonal balance is very good.

They play very loud and clean. Don't take up to much room 9" square footprint and 39" high.

The treble could be a little more extended and airy, but I'm use to a ribbon tweeter.

All and all a very good speaker. They won't replace my HT-3's in the main listening room, but would be nice upstairs in the living room. My wife wants her own setup. :thumb:

I want to check out the new Gallo Cassico III and the Evolution Acoustics mmMicro mini's before I make my decision.