Author Topic: Wyred upgrade  (Read 32874 times)

shep

Wyred upgrade
« on: July 30, 2010, 09:32:22 AM »
Well not exactly but since i've been quiet of late I thought to start off with a bang, even if it's a bit of a wet cracker. Namely; I got tired of the slight channel imballance of my ICE amp. I'm sending it back to CA to J. Sorento to fix this and while it's there, he's going to try out some different caps. He doesn't know what will fit the bill or the case, since the latter is relatively narrow. More will follow.

Black Sand Cable

Re: Wyred upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 07:29:45 PM »
I was actually just at the W4S plant a few days ago talking a little shop with EJ and Rick. They have some new stuff coming down the pipe in the not to distant future that will raise the bar yet again when it comes to the world of digital.

shep

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 11:34:11 PM »
I really enjoy doing business with them. Courtious, responsive and patient with small fry like me! The fact that eJ is willing to humour me and take take the time from an obviously busy schedual to think about and discuss an amp that didn't come from him is a huge plus in my book.

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 01:39:48 AM »
think about and discuss an amp that didn't come from him is a huge plus in my book.

I won't mention any brand names but I did notice when I was there that EJ and Rick had a fair number of amps kicking around from other manufactures that were sent to them by owners and in some cases, the manufactures themselves.

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 12:48:16 AM »
IIRC, I saw a W4S amp in pictures of Modwright's lab.   :thumb:

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 10:10:40 AM »
IIRC, I saw a W4S amp in pictures of Modwright's lab.   :thumb:

Dan Modwright is a well known Wyred user.

shep

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 12:55:09 AM »
I can't tell if you're being tongue-in-cheek or.... :duh

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 09:55:56 AM »
I can't tell if you're being tongue-in-cheek or.... :duh

I'm serious.....Dan has been a fan of Wyred amps for well over a year now.

shep

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 10:16:33 AM »
The amp is in California by now. He will take it home, listen, and try different caps to see what works best. I was tending towards Aum (spelling?) or Obbligato copper but much depends on the price and the space limitations. I'll report back when this is all done!

shep

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2010, 02:58:33 PM »
Well we have decided to either go for a complete set of Blackgates or Nichicon Muse or Gold caps and replace key resistors with the latest Vishay Z1-foil. Seing as there are 16 caps to replace, the higher priced ones were out of the picture. The adventure continues.

shep

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 10:24:38 AM »
Waiting... :?: :!: :nono: :oops:

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2010, 10:31:53 AM »
What they're doing isn't a 5 minute job.  The resistors in question are in tight spots and the whole amp has to be disassembled. 

There are 2 electrolytic caps in the signal path(per channel) that I'm thinking about bypassing with Jensen copper foil caps, either copper or paper casing.  The caps W4S used are good for electrolytics(Nichicon Muse), but still aren't as good as a high quality film cap.  If they weren't such a large value(10uf), I'd just replace them with a good film altogether.  Not that I feel as the amp is lacking at all, but there's always something better.

shep

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2010, 01:24:03 PM »
I know it's not simple. I hope the Blackgates are good. I'm pretty sure the Vishay will make a big contribution. We're on the same page...nice not to be alone in my Ice madness.

shep

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 01:20:48 PM »
It's finally done and after he takes it home and listens over the weekend, will be shipped out. This is a biggie...I hope in the right direction since it's the last time I'm going to spend any money on this amp; well there's nothing more that can be done within reason.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 01:48:28 PM »
I'm listening to his DAC now, shep, I think you'll be pleased with his handiwork.  aa

I guess you'll be camping out in the malebox soon?