Author Topic: What is the Consensus - Plug Your Amplifier Into Power Conditioner- Yes or No  (Read 20699 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
I've tried chokes, caps, coils, etc. on each of my components and always found that everything seems to constrain the amp with one exception - X or Y rated caps across the line. In fact, using these helped with additional texture. An inexpensive way to do this is to just use an Audioprism Line Conditioner tied into the same outlet your amp is on.

As for using conditioners on other pieces of equipment ... I used to do this and found it beneficial on digital especially. However, moving up from inexpensive Chinese DAC's and transports to something with a nice beefy and well constructed power supply made me change my mind. I now use my DIY power conditioner as a basic junction box, but it does have X-caps across the line a Varistors inside it for surge protection.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Black Sand Cable

John, what is that "small Equi-tech panel?"

http://www.equitech.com/products/industrial/wall.html

Scroll 3/4 of the way down the page and look at the 10WQ (I have the 5WQ).

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
I almost got one of those for my sound room.. but decided cryo'd panel, breakers and outlets was enough.. (thanks to BlackSand for the cryo'ing, John went way out of his way for me on the panel)... I guess I could've gone 'all the way'.. but I was worried it might hum.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 12:04:39 PM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Wicked cool  8)

Black Sand Cable

.....but I was worried it might hum.

It does a little but with the door closed, you cant hear it all all.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
  At $7800 for the panel it better to wonders. Jeez. I too have used numerous well regarded power line conditioners. They all gave a quieter background and more clarity. however some changed the soundstage forward, one thinned the sound, one robbed dynamics and most highlighted some part of the frequency range NY to MY liking.
   To date the only power line treatment are the Alan Maher filters {CBFs}. I'm hearing good reports on the Uber Buss, but again around $1000.
   I would like to hear about a comparison between the Uber Buss and alans products. say $1000 worth of Maher filters against the uber buss. Then with Alan's stuff in place the results of the addition of the Buss. might prove interesting.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

I think I would go for the balanced power before any other power treatments, especially if I were using tube amps. I think it was the biggest improvement any accessory ever made in my system.  I too was put off by the 120Hz hum, but it was very soft. I was gonna built a little insulated enclosure for it. But when I had the transformer in a cabinet with the glass door closed I could barely hear it. When listening to RobS's system I couldn't hear it all. I like the idea of an Equitech panel used as dedicated audio power panel, in a place that is sound isolated, circuits wired with JPS inwall... oh yeeeaahhhhhhhhh - Someday!

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
Charles,  I've been using Alan Maher products and have been extremely pleased with the results.  I then had an opportunity to pick up a used UberBUSS at a nice price and thought I'd give it a try.  To be  honest, I didn't expect a lot given the nice improvements wrought by Alan's products, but was pleasantly surprised with further benefits from it.  I posted my initial impressions of it here: http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=2124.0

lonewolfny42

At $7800 for the panel it better to wonders. Jeez. I too have used numerous well regarded power line conditioners. They all gave a quieter background and more clarity. however some changed the soundstage forward, one thinned the sound, one robbed dynamics and most highlighted some part of the frequency range NY to MY liking.
   To date the only power line treatment are the Alan Maher filters {CBFs}. I'm hearing good reports on the Uber Buss, but again around $1000.
   I would like to hear about a comparison between the Uber Buss and alans products. say $1000 worth of Maher filters against the uber buss. Then with Alan's stuff in place the results of the addition of the Buss. might prove interesting.

charles

I think Robin/satfrat can help you out with that Charles.... :thumb:

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
I have my whole A/V system including my 2 three channel Butler amps plugged into a BPT balanced power conditioner that's plugged into a UberBuss parallel filter conditioner. That's how my system sounds it's best and I have no intention of ever changing this setup regardless of what others say about current limiting or loss of dynamics. I find it to be just the opposite and I'll go by what I hear, not what I read. I suggest you try all options and make up your own mind.  :thumb:

As far as Maher parallel filters are concerned, they're a fart in a hurricane when compared to the Buss's. Sure they work,,, if you want to buy 6-8 per home circuit plus 1 for each component,,, and you like to ride the Maher-go-round of everexpanding moneymaking pyramid product structure. Or buy 1 large parallel filter and be done with it. And yes I STILL own 13 Maher PE's which are on every nonaudio circuit cuz they're not needed in my system anymore. Plus I hate selling what I have in my hand,,, just like Lonewolf's room full of gear.

I'll also add that my system already has 27 Bybee's which I truely love so I have no need for the newly improved parallel filter or any other product that has a Bybee added from Maher, it's reduntantly unnecessary for myself and I have a true dislike for pyramid businesses who prey on customer loyalty with the next groundbreaking product,,,, please give me a break!  :roll:

Cheers,
Robin
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 10:38:50 AM by satfrat »
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
.... and I'll go by what I hear, not what I read.

Hu-Rah  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Black Sand Cable

At $7800 for the panel it better to wonders. Jeez.

True enough but in my case, it paid for itself already.

I live in a newer area that has lots of construction going on around it. Late last summer an underground power line was hit when a guy was a digging a foundation hole (at least that is the story we got told). It caused a massive surge within a two block radius. The neighbor on my left had 2 plasma's and a receiver go up in smoke when it happened. The neighbor on my right lost a very pricey LCD, HT receiver and a few other odds and ends here and there. The first guys insurance claim pushed $20K and the second was around half that.

I was at home and had my system up and running at the time it happened. I lost nothing.....and I didn't even have to so much as change a fuse on anything and the panel works as good today as it did then.

Funny thing is that this is the second time we have had it happen. First time it happened the power conditioner I was using at that time, went up in smoke but the gear I had hooked up to it, came away fine.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
With Equitech gear, I've seen it and heard the benefits too. 

For full disclosure: I have done work on a new site for ET... In doing so, I have received sample products to try.. and photograph.. and it's impressive gear.  I don't want to like the gear so I can get paid cash rather than product.. but I do like it so there will be trade involved. 

BTW, their new site work had paused for a long time but they want to pick it up again.. so ET will get a new site before too long.. and it will be in a different league than the current site.  I'll see if Martin will post more and announce the new site launch here when ready.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
I spent the day yesterday listening to my Ayon Spirit II plugged into both my Running Springs Haley and then directly into the wall. As much as I tried, I could not detect any difference  :duh
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
  At $7800 for the panel it better to wonders. Jeez.

True enough but in my case, it paid for itself already.

I live in a newer area that has lots of construction going on around it. Late last summer an underground power line was hit when a guy was a digging a foundation hole (at least that is the story we got told). It caused a massive surge within a two block radius. The neighbor on my left had 2 plasma's and a receiver go up in smoke when it happened. The neighbor on my right lost a very pricey LCD, HT receiver and a few other odds and ends here and there. The first guys insurance claim pushed $20K and the second was around half that.

I was at home and had my system up and running at the time it happened. I lost nothing.....and I didn't even have to so much as change a fuse on anything and the panel works as good today as it did then.

Funny thing is that this is the second time we have had it happen. First time it happened the power conditioner I was using at that time, went up in smoke but the gear I had hooked up to it, came away fine.

Wow. In that case well worth it. Maybe someday, LOTTO

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.