Author Topic: Moscode 402AU  (Read 36509 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Moscode 402AU
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2010, 02:10:10 PM »
Great ideas Carl. The Ayon CDP with digital input looks like a winner.  :drool:  I am becoming more enamored with the brand the more I read about it.

I'm also going toward a music PC, so I can run EQ and crossover filters in it. Dual core Atom processors, microATX mobos running linux on flash drive is a great option. Wall wart power supply is silent. There are so many of them now so prices are decent and features abound. If only running foobar and no filters Atom is more than enough, maybe for mild DSP too, I dunno yet.

Nick can help get you going with your mini PC Ken. He knows what's hot for new products and combinations. bpape knows a lot about latest PC parts too.

Bigfish8

« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2010, 02:32:56 PM »
Thanks Guys!

Since the amp quest is now over and the Transporter is spoken for I think I will start a DAC Quest Thread!  The amp journey on-line was fun (for me at least) so lets do it again!

Ken

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2010, 02:42:49 PM »
I missed the finale to the amp quest!?  :duh
edit.. went back and read... CONGRATS on the new amp! :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 02:44:49 PM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2010, 02:46:57 PM »
Ken, you are much more fun than me. All my AN quests always end up undecided.  :?  You follow through and buy buy buy!

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2010, 07:20:11 PM »
Yep, i agree, Bigfish gets down to business.  I enjoyed the amp saga and tuned in daily,  I'm psyched about a new journey.   DAC's are changing at lightning speed, and I'm in the market for one also.   Oh, wait......  I forgot, I'm not buying any new equipment this year..... well, maybe not...

Rob S.

No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Bigfish8

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2010, 04:40:25 PM »
Okay Guys, I reseamble those remarks! :rofl:  The Moscode is purely kick butt in my system!  It is lightening fast and has punch I have not previously experienced.  It also provides me with some tube love but the bottom end and speed quickly dispell any thoughts that it is similar to a tube amp.  I am a very happy camper!

Ken

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2010, 12:07:11 PM »
I know that feeling.. you're just sitting there with your mouth open when the big notes hit.. and you're like, wow.. I did the right thing.  Enjoy that moment. :)

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2010, 01:33:01 PM »
Has anyone heard the 402 vs the older 401? Just curious how big the differences are. I'm thinking about trying one with my Ulysses speakers, curious as to how they would match up...
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Bigfish8

« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2010, 05:56:31 PM »
Has anyone heard the 402 vs the older 401? Just curious how big the differences are. I'm thinking about trying one with my Ulysses speakers, curious as to how they would match up...

Jeff Dorgay of TonePub magazine owns a Moscode 402AU and previously reviewed the 401HR.  Send him an e-mail at tonepub@yahoo.com
for his comments.

Ken

Bigfish8

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2010, 01:53:11 PM »
Guys:

I had the opportunity today to play around with some tube rolling in the Moscode 402AU as I was home doing computer work.  Man, this thing really responds to tube changes!  I have 6H30DRs in the two inside positions and only rolled different tubes in the two outer positions.  Started with a pair of RCA 6CG7's I obtained for the Transporter.  This combination produced a detailed but somewhat too lean a presentation for me.  Next up were Mullard 12AU7's I purchased from Andy of Vintage Tubes.  Wow! Killer midrange and I could live with these tubes but I felt something was missing from the top-end.  Last was a vintage pair of Amperex Bugle Boys.  I love these darn tubes!  Crisp top-end with detail, full but not bloated mid-range and a lively bass.  I think these tubes are going to stay for awhile!

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2010, 03:48:09 PM »
What tube type are the Bugle Boys?  Sounds like a fun afternoon!

Bigfish8

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2010, 04:10:37 PM »
What tube type are the Bugle Boys?  Sounds like a fun afternoon!

Hi Rich:  The Amperex Tubes are 12AU7's I purchased a couple of years ago for the Candela Preamp!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2010, 06:02:06 AM »
There are many vintages of Bugle Boys that seem to lean in various directions but overall I have always found them to be a good all-rounder with a lively but not harsh sound.  The older the better as always.. Don't get rid of those, Ken.. You'll probably come back to them a few more times in this hobby. ;)

Glad to hear you can shape that amp's sound so easily.. I wish they all had that ability.  I'd actually like a tube pre-processor where I could dial in a little warmth, maybe even reverb, and then dial it out too...

Just seems like you'd need that to hear classical, rock, jazz, and various live recordings at their best.

-C

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2010, 06:09:31 AM »
GI'd actually like a tube pre-processor where I could dial in a little warmth, maybe even reverb, and then dial it out too...

You're not the only one. Remember ART put a tube in the D I/O and had the ability to dial it in and out of the circuit. I was a great idea, but unfortunately it only applied to the A/D side of the device, the D/A was always 100% solid state no matter where you set the dial.  :(  (is this like with a lousy present where you say oh well, it's the thought that counts?  :duh )
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2012, 11:33:52 AM »
Getting ready to send my 402AU to George for the Vishay/Mundorf upgrades. Exciting times  :)
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.