Author Topic: Moscode 402AU  (Read 36489 times)

Bigfish8

Moscode 402AU
« on: March 07, 2010, 03:05:18 PM »
Guys:

Shane brought my Usher Dancer Mini II Speakers back home this afternoon along with the new Diamond Tweeters to evaluate versus the Beryllium Tweeters that were originally supplied with the speakers.  He also brought along the new Moscode 402AU Hybrid Amp to compare to the Odyssey Mono SEs.  We started out playing a few songs with the Odyssey's and then switched over to the Moscode.  For me it was one of those AW S--- Moments!  The Moscode presented the music in a very smooth, detailed manner with a level of refinement lacking with the Odyssey's.  I also felt the bass was tighter and definitely more pronounced with the Moscode.  The reason I called my initial exposure to the Moscode as an AW S--- Moment is because I immediately knew a superior amp was playing my speakers and now I will be on a quest for a new amp.  

Shane is considering picking up the local dealership rights for Moscode.  While I want to experience other amps in my system I am confident this one will be on my short list of possible canidates.  Oh, another postitive note is that I learned that a single amp will fit in my system and that the SCs are long enough to connect without any issues! Yeh!

I want to thank Shane for bringing over the Moscode 402AU and I can certainly say I hated to see him leave with it.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:27:39 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Moscode 402AU
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:10:44 PM »
That's Great News! 

and

My condolences, Ken       :rofl:

So a new quest begins. There's a lot out there to choose from. Moscode is definitely a player, has been for many years. There is a Wes Phillips review of that moscode in Stereophile from last summer.  I have met and talked to George Kaye at RMAF a couple times. I would have no problem buying their product. He is a jazz bass player. ;) I heard it there once in combination with Placette active preamp, awesome!  Plus you get to stick some mushy syrup goo WW2 tubes in there, or shiny clean chinese tubes, so you will love having 4 more tube sockets to play with.

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »
Nice!  what's next to enter your home?  From your previous comments,  i had a feeling you would like a tube amp or a hybrid tube amp in your system.  Keep us posted on the auditions.

Rob S.

No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 06:22:25 AM »
   These tubes are made for walking and one of these days those tubes Are gonna walk all over you. Nice amp Ken, hope it works out.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 07:04:52 AM »
Ken, am I mistaken or didn't you say you recently that you were done for awhile?   :rofl:

Oh wait, maybe that was me  :duh

Bigfish8

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 11:06:52 AM »
Ken, am I mistaken or didn't you say you recently that you were done for awhile?   :rofl:

Oh wait, maybe that was me  :duh

Hi Mike:

The mistake I made was in going over to the G2G at Shane's last weekend! :duh  This is a tough hobby and I think it is tough because I have not really wanted to admit to myself that it is a hobby.  My approach has been to try and produce the relaxing sound I want to hear and just be happy.  The problem is when I hear something new (new to me) and I say to myself I really like that sound.  That always turns out to be one of those Aw S--- Moments that ends up with me spending money.  Thus far, this year (still young) I have not spent any non music audio money.  Maybe it wil be the Moscode, A Salmet AMP, A Butler or maybe a used tube amp but I suspect a different amp(s) is in my 2010 future.  I will be interested to hear the Moscode and the I-60 at Rich's on Saturday if I can make it.

Ken

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 12:11:08 PM »
 Ken I did not want to suggest another tubed amp since you were dealing with one of our favorite vendors Shane. Now that you mentioned alternatives PLEASE audition a CJ or Manley amp.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Bigfish8

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 11:46:37 AM »
I wanted to post a thank you to Shane (hometheaterdoc) for allowing me to demo a Moscode 402AU and a Butler 2250 in my system for a week.  Since I am a self proclaimed tube guy I had a definite preference for the sound of the Moscode but I would also say that I could easily live with the Butler.  The short time I was able to listen to the Moscode ( a Sunday afternoon and the following Saturday) convinced me to try and sell my Odyssey Mono SEs to explore an amp with tubes in my system.  My music preference is to the warm side of neutral and the Moscode with the RCA tubes Shane had installed delivered in spades.  The other thing that I heard and surprising my wife commented on was the note separation, the fullness of sound from singers and the gradual decay of cymbals.  Yes, darn-it, the Moscode will make me break my New Year's Resolution to not purchase any audio equipment this year.  However, it has confirmed my love for tubes and I will be able to further explore the world of tube amps!

Thanks again Shane, I think! :duh

Ken
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:52:37 AM by Bigfish8 »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 11:57:35 AM »
Hooray, Ken! and Congrats! :)  You're on a good path.

This hobby is about learning and satisfying emotions.  You are doing it and that's the fun part.  The money part sucks but what hobby that provides so much enjoyment is cheap or easy? 

Your system must be so much different now than it was a year ago.  If you're enjoying the music more and listening to the gear less, you know you're doing things right.

Keep having fun! 

-Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Bigfish8

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 01:18:30 PM »
I guess my post could be interperted that I pulled the trigger on the Moscode.  Nope, not yet!  My experience with it has helped clarify what type of sound I want from my system.  It might end-up being the Moscode, possibly a tube amp and I am interested in hearing a Class A SS Amp.

The Nervosa bug has bitten again! :duh

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 04:58:55 PM »
Ken

At least you made it to March, before breaking your New Year resolution! Quite an accomplishment indeed in this hobby. I , too, only made it to March upgrading my tube amp. Sure helps to have an understanding bunch cheering you on. 

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 05:48:33 AM »
I guess my post could be interperted that I pulled the trigger on the Moscode.  Nope, not yet!  My experience with it has helped clarify what type of sound I want from my system.  It might end-up being the Moscode, possibly a tube amp and I am interested in hearing a Class A SS Amp.

The Nervosa bug has bitten again! :duh

You've bought it in your mind, so that's all that matters.. just a matter of time now. ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Bigfish8

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 02:52:21 PM »
You've bought it in your mind, so that's all that matters.. just a matter of time

Yes, I really like the sound of the amp with the Usher Dancer Mini II Speakers and I had honestly bought the amp mentally on Sunday.  However, time has passed by and before I acutually pull the trigger I want to hear tube amps in my system.  Shane has an option expected next week and Steve/Rich are agreeable to allow me to listen to the AR Tube Amp.  I have made the comment to several of you guys that my system with the Odyssey's sounds fine and only audiophools with this crazy nervosa would be interested in something different.  The nice thing is with having you local audio friends I am having to opportunity to experiment with some different types of amps without a huge commitment or having to deal with shipping hassles.  

Henry, what mods have you made to your amp?

Ken      
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 05:07:56 PM by Bigfish8 »

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 04:32:05 AM »
You've bought it in your mind, so that's all that matters.. just a matter of time

Yes, I really like the sound of the amp with the Usher Dancer Mini II Speakers and I had honestly bought the amp mentally on Sunday.  However, time has passed by and before I acutually pull the trigger I want to hear tube amps in my system.  Shane has an option expected next week and Steve/Rich are agreeable to allow me to listen to the AR Tube Amp.  I have made the comment to several of you guys that my system with the Odyssey's sounds fine and only audiophools with this crazy nervosa would be interested in something different.  The nice thing is with having you local audio friends I am having to opportunity to experiment with some different types of amps without a huge commitment or having to deal with shipping hassles.  

Henry, what mods have you made to your amp?

Ken      
Ken,

I am the last person in the world I would have expected to end up with an all tube setup (Atma-Sphere preamp and M60 mono's), mainly as I am extremely adamant about reliability, but I couldn't be happier with how it's worked out.  My setup simply appeals to the soul and music is oh so enjoyable now.  Take your time, do what makes you happy, and good luck in the hunt.  Keep it fun.

Tom
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 05:14:28 AM »
So you DID get the preamp Tom! Congrats. I'm lookin that way now too. S30 is all I need for now. Thanks!
Rich