Author Topic: Muscle Amp Suggestions  (Read 27422 times)

WEEZ

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2007, 12:16:20 PM »
Hi Imperial,

Yeah, I forgot about John Hillig's "C" model. He builds fine equipment (I use his little D-75B Sig., and it's stupid good). The brand doesn't have much universal recognition, and that's a shame....

WEEZ

jrebman

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2007, 03:25:04 PM »
Quote from: "miklorsmith"
Actually, I'm trying to lean toward brand names that people are more likely to know/respect.

AVA FET Valve Ultra 350 or 550?

Never heard them, but I'm intrigued.

-- Jim

budburma

try the combo platter
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2007, 04:42:46 AM »
imho you can't beat a combo of ss and tubes.  having had lots-o-gear through lots-o-years i have found the relatively moderately priced combo of a plinius p8 and and audio electronics supply ae-3 djh sig is hard to beat for the money.  and, it will drive anything!  including my grand old danes, dynaudio contour 2.8's which are 4 ohm, 84 db and a closed box design.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2007, 06:24:09 AM »
Sounds like we'd get along just fine.  I run:

Korato KVP-20
Odyssey Stratos Mono Extreme SE's
Dynaudio Contour 3.3's

I agree wholeheartedly on the tubes up front/solid state in back solution.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

budburma

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2007, 11:42:17 AM »
i have heard the original stratos from odyssey with the 120000 picofarad whatchamacalit upgrade and thought it was a viable bang for buck curve buster...sounded very good with my buddies b&w nautilus 801's.  

the dynaudio 2.8's were a little idiosyncratic in their lineup as they had the esotar tweeter reserved afterwards for the confidence line.  you have to tame them a bit and feed them a high calorie power diet, but they can fill a room with definition and delight.  i have had several other speakers but none seemed to satisfy in the same way.

never heard of korato....i'll have to check out your website....

i currently have the cary slp98p with pope 6sn7gt's up front and sylvania 6sn7w's in the back.  it's oddly a little reserved and missing detail i loved in the aes ae-3 djh sig i had before. definitely quieter, but a little smaller stage.

i thought it was a good idea to consolidate with the on board phono....one of those 'oooops' there goes the baby with the bathwater it's gonna cost some semiserious ducats to get back to where i was, but live and learn again.  it's a great hobby!

so, i am on my back to aes and a modded ear 834p richer in experience.
 and diggin' the tunes!

i trust you're doing the same.

Offline Bemopti123

• Seeking Help
Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »
I second the McCormacks...the 225 being the most common of them all.  According to a Stereophile spec, it produced about 1000 watts per channel at some peak moments.  Another type of amps that do crushing loads with oddles of current are the older Aragons...the 8008BB?  or something like that.  Rated at just 200 watts, but seem to be able to give massive current loads to Infinity Kappa 9s...the legendary crushers and chewers of lesser designed amplifiers.  

Another amp that seem to produce loads of current are the Sunfire Signatures that produce 600 watts per channel at 8 ohms...and can swing it up to 2.4 Kws at 2 ohms?  

There you have it, that is that I have ascertained when I was searching about the best type of amplification for the Kappa 9s.