Author Topic: Muscle Amp Suggestions  (Read 27423 times)

lonewolfny42

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2007, 01:07:19 PM »
John:

I'm also a fan of Butler Audio and have been after two - TDB-5150's but I don't have $6590.00 just laying around! Why two you ask? I'm a fan of vertical bi-amping and have done it for years.
Good amps....good in high's and mid's....but not the last word in bass.
I do own two Butler 2250's.......and I'm not talking about the Mondial....which is a better amp. :D

Chris

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2007, 02:26:23 PM »
Also, the Butler's are tube-ss hybrid's... not really a choice for ss-only.

BTW, in a room as big as you're describing, I'd definitely consider 200wpc+.  At 2,k that's tough.  The McIntosh MC-252 would be on my shortlist.... I've heard it's more neutral than their others.... maybe worth looking into... and is a good value used... but likely 'in the 2,k's' rather than 2,k....

BTW, what about the Ampzilla?

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

miklorsmith

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2007, 02:28:55 PM »
Man, that thing's ugly.  I'd do it if it sounds great though!

More than 200 wpc?!  You gotta be kiddin' me!  I take back what I said about ever being a lo-eff convert.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2007, 04:41:20 PM »
Again, look at the Sim.  It'll handle odd loads, works well with tube pres, is pretty neutral but with a slammin bottom end and it's a brand people who read high end rags know.  Also, IIRC, it will handle both single ended and balanced inputs.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

WEEZ

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2007, 05:34:13 PM »
Mike,

Beauty, as is said, is in the eye of the beholder :!:

WEEZ

Double Ugly

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2007, 08:23:05 PM »
Quote from: "miklorsmith"
Actually, I'm trying to lean toward brand names that people are more likely to know/respect.
Yeah, I was in a hurry and misread your initial post.  In that case, I'll stick with the Belles and BEL recommendations.  They aren't as well known as some, but excellent amps by virtually all accounts.

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2007, 02:49:47 AM »
The Belles Ref 350, McCormack Dna 225,AVA fetvalve 550 or what i use the Odyssey mono extreme SE's are all great performers  :idea:
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

shep

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2007, 04:42:24 AM »
I can't contribute any hands-on experience, seeing as how I remain desperately attatched to the Tripath concept. But the choice is quite vast and you have several considerations running parallel. You want to have an amp that establishes some credibility, hence the known brand, you want one that you are certain will be even-handed with a variety of speakers, that will interact well with the source, one that pleases you..
you want the cake and eat it too! No amp is without its own signature, no two sound alike/ I guess it should be one that you are confident you can hear thru to the speakers in question. Actually this is a hard one two answer! I'm just jawing for the sake...

miklorsmith

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2007, 07:17:34 AM »
Hey, I like Tripath too!  In fact, both of my systems are running battery tripath amps right now.  But, these are applications that don't need brute strength.  This search is for a big-time changeup.

Thanks for all the picks, keep 'em comin'!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2007, 08:13:24 AM »
Quote from: "Bunky"
McCormack Dna 225 :idea:

I would strongly second that one... I *think* it satisfies all of your requirements to a T.
I really enjoy listening to music.

WEEZ

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2007, 08:15:35 AM »
There's a DNA-125 for $1k on Audiogon right now..

Black Sand Cable

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2007, 08:50:23 AM »
Quote from: "lonewolfny42"
John:

I had the 2250 myself and thought the same thing. Don't me get wrong I loved the amp.....BIG TIME, but even against my old Parasound's, the bass was less then stellar.

lonewolfny42

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2007, 11:13:53 PM »
Quote from: "Black Sand Cable"
Quote from: "lonewolfny42"
John:

I had the 2250 myself and thought the same thing. Don't me get wrong I loved the amp.....BIG TIME, but even against my old Parasound's, the bass was less then stellar.
Yep....but I have to say....adding you Silver Ref. power cord did REALLY improve the bass on the Butler. And I did try other cords....yours was the best match. 8)

lonewolfny42

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2007, 11:31:36 PM »
Quote from: "Bunky"
The Belles Ref 350, McCormack Dna 225,AVA fetvalve 550 or what i use the Odyssey mono extreme SE's are all great performers  :idea:
I would agree with Bunky on these amps....good picks. Try to have a listen somewhere.

Imperial

Muscle Amp Suggestions
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 11:44:44 AM »