Author Topic: tube dampers  (Read 25314 times)

Tdangelo

tube dampers
« on: January 18, 2007, 06:04:28 PM »
I was messing around tonight with my system and thought I'd take the Herbies dampers off the 12xxxx tube in my Response Audio modded Jolida 3000's - MANNNNNNNNNNN  Months now and I've been cheating myself!  When I first put the dampers on I did all 3 sets of tubes per amp - 12xxx then EL34's then 211(man you could put a frying pan above those and cook bfast ;)  It sounded better so I left it that way.  Tonight I experimented and WOW..  Sound stage is finally wider than the speakers and the sound is more raw/visceral but in a good way - live like.  I listened to Ben Harper and the Blind Boys "Live at the Apollo" and I actually felt like I was in the audience, heheh.. might have been the Knob Creek, naaaaa   :shock:

AliG

Re: tube dampers
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 06:24:49 PM »
Quote from: "Tdangelo"
I was messing around tonight with my system and thought I'd take the Herbies dampers off the 12xxxx tube in my Response Audio modded Jolida 3000's - MANNNNNNNNNNN  Months now and I've been cheating myself!  When I first put the dampers on I did all 3 sets of tubes per amp - 12xxx then EL34's then 211(man you could put a frying pan above those and cook bfast ;)  It sounded better so I left it that way.  Tonight I experimented and WOW..  Sound stage is finally wider than the speakers and the sound is more raw/visceral but in a good way - live like.  I listened to Ben Harper and the Blind Boys "Live at the Apollo" and I actually felt like I was in the audience, heheh.. might have been the Knob Creek, naaaaa   :shock:

hahaha..this is funny... next you need to try the wooden knob from Reference Mod... it's surprisingly good.. it open up the soundstage, more separation between vocals and instruments...it's WOWOWEEEWA!!

miklorsmith

tube dampers
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 07:13:19 PM »
I've tried dampers on the 5687s in my Modwright preamps and CDP, I felt they sucked the life out of both pieces.  It's fun to play though, huh?

launche

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 07:36:33 PM »
Quote from: "Tdangelo"

I had similar experiences, but I thought the dampers helped fine tune things.  I know some people that didn't like tube dampers, feeling they constricted things, but I asked are they just helping present a more defined presentation.  I know I have intially been bothered by the apparent reduction in ____, when in fact things have just become better focused.  Is sure is enough to keep one guessing.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
tube dampers
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 06:14:36 AM »
Maybe it just depends on the preamp... I had them on the Minimax linestage and felt they sharpened the image focus and cleaned up a little 'grunge' in the upper mids.  I was pretty surprised... it was a small improvement but a definite improvement nonetheless.

Glad you decided to try something different, though... taking you a step closer to perfection. ;)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

rosconey

tube dampers
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 10:14:27 AM »
tried dampeners(o ring type) on my candella-didnt like it at all-just sucked the life out of the music

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
tube dampers
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 02:26:29 PM »
I have owned three different tube Preamplifiers and have never tried tube dampers ,but i always try to get the least microphonic types of tubes that i can get my hands on. i love tube preamplifiers....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

miklorsmith

tube dampers
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 02:33:04 PM »
Related question:

I haven't had too much tube gear, a few Modwright pieces and now a Yamamoto A-08s.  The Yammie has on NOS tube that's quite microphonic.  I never encountered this with the 5687s that Modwright uses.

When I tap on the tube during operation, it produces a prominent ringing from the speaker.  None of the other tubes do this.  Thus, I expect tube dampers wouldn't have tremendous effect with this.

Is there more to tube dampers than calming microphonics?  I didn't like them with the Modwright pieces, but should I try something with this tube only?  Would that be pointless?  I don't hear the microphonics when playing but maybe it would be obvious once the effect was gone.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
tube dampers
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 03:12:40 PM »
I don't think they're designed to eliminate that type of ringing directly.  The way I saw it, they kept airborn vibrations from moving the tubes as much.... possibly reducing the vibration inside the tube, which is what you hear when you flick your tube. ;)

So, maybe.
I really enjoy listening to music.

carusoracer

Tube dampers
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2007, 06:48:53 PM »
I have tried the Herbie's Halo's on my EE Minimax PreAmp and they really helped snap the soundstage into focus and eliminate wooly bass for most 12AU7 tubes...Placement on the tube itself is highly experimental. I found that most of the time the Halo is just below the Getter flash inside the tube or above the first Mica Spacer.

On my Shanling the Western Electric tubes really needed the dampers and the damper was pushed pretty for down on the tube. Much better soundstage and focus. Cleaned up the overly warm bass.
Not so much a difference as familiarity of the sonic change on the Bendix Redbanks' I could have them off or on...depends on the recording.

I do like the earlier Halo's dampers vs the newer ones. I experienced the suck out and overly damped sound with the newer ones, especially on the rectifier tube?

As usual I find with tweeks...YMMV

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2007, 08:50:14 AM »
I think Carl and Car are on to something. "Maybe it just depends on the preamp"

If the frequency response is a little full sounding toward the bottom end, because of ringing, tube dampers may help the focus by ridding of the lower frequency accentuation. If the preamp response is a little sterile, tight or a little lacking in the lower frequencies, the dampers may reduce the lower frequencies and limit the soundstage as a result.

Just a thought.
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2007, 09:05:19 AM »
A review of the Herbies (older versions) I read recently suggests that they might have a bigger effect on power tubes than preamps. A friend (1000a) uses them on Jolida amp and loves it. It is further down on my wish list, but with a money back guarantee I think I will give it a try. Not cheap though.
Rich

Joker

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 06:47:15 AM »
I just got my Cary SLP-98P, wonder if they would help or hinder in my situation?? I've been thinking about getting a few pairs to try out.

Has anyone tried the Maple Shade one? Man, they look heavy and I wonder, would they cool the tube or cause it to get hotter? Hmmmm...

John

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 01:02:06 PM »
Hi Bunky,

I think your 10A has tube dampers on them.

I have owned three different tube Preamplifiers and have never tried tube dampers ,but i always try to get the least microphonic types of tubes that i can get my hands on. i love tube preamplifiers....WCW III
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2007, 01:36:34 PM »
Hi Bunky,

I think your 10A has tube dampers on them.

Hey Steve,when i made my previous post on this topic i did not have my SAS 10A. i have not lifted the hood to take a peek yet. it is supposed to have a pair NOS Siemens E88CC A-frame 6922's in it . Maxwalrath did not mention tube dampers but i imagine that if it came with them he may have put them on the A-frames. thanks....WCW III
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa