Author Topic: Am I in over my head?  (Read 6653 times)

Offline Rob S.

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Am I in over my head?
« on: June 01, 2009, 07:14:39 PM »
I had a nice talk with the Sangster and I've agreed to try some JPS cables.   A smorgasborg of cables will be heading my way.   A couple of PC's, a couple of SC3 IC's, a SC3 digital IC, some Q speaker cables and the Aluminata speaker cables.   I'm hoping this will be my last expenditure for 2009.  But I've said that before.

It will be fun figuring out how to spend my last few $$'s for '09,  Ok, so maybe the last for the summer season.

Carl..... Dam you for the "liquid ear sex" comment, I've been thinking of that for awhile now.  :) We'll see what those cables translate to in my more modest system.  Stay tuned.....

Rob S.
No new money spent on audio!!  but starting in 2012!!

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Am I in over my head?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 07:30:46 PM »
Rob,

From personal experience...I don't see how you can go wrong with the JPS's. I'm running all SC3 cables throughout, and I got some great sound coming out of the system  :drool:!

They will take some break-in, but when you hear how detailed they are, while maintaining a 'smooth' presentation, then I feel that you will be pretty happy.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 08:12:14 PM »
Aluminata's huh?   bad move Rob, BAAAAD move...  Better get a few extra boxes of tissue.... for the liquid...    You are so far in over your head.

I see you are talking about money left over, you must be thinking you will be able to mail back the Aluminatas. Oooooooh no... That's not happening.  I bet he said, I'll throw in the Aluminumtata's (my new word for them)  :yay2: so you can compare them.   That's his MO. Sneaky that Shane. But he knows the power of the AluminumTatas over mortal men.

All I can say is Shane.... you better order a new pair (for yourself) and fast!
 :yay2:

You're gonna dig it Rob!   Damn your system is gonna be FINE! Rick told me he thought your room acoustics were just about perfect too.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 08:15:04 PM »
Sorry, Rob... 'Liquid Ear Sex' is a rare joy.. and Mike's system was like a whore-house full of it that night.  :drool: :rofl:

A big part of all of that is synergy.  The JPS cables have a 'house sound'.. which mated very well with the kind of sound Mike's system already produced.  It didn't fix all problems, just made the most of what he had... which was a pretty impressive platform.

I know he spent a lot of time working on the room layout, speaker positioning, and gear choices over the past couple or few years to get what he has right now.  

In any case, I have a set of Straley Reality Cables and jumpers that I'm going to put up for sale soon... if you want to try those also.  I found them to be very good in my system.  They weren't great in Rich's system but that could be due to several reasons... so, who knows, you may like them, you may not.

For PC's, I still like Black Sand Cables.  I just haven't found anything else better for close to the money.  I know Shane is purely a JPS man.. but I haven't been sold on the JPS PC's... I'll compare some later this summer, though.

Another good cable that I think goes overlooked a lot of times is Audience Au24.  It's got some things right that very few can approach.. but has some compromises... just depends on what you like.

Hope that's a little helpful in bringing you closer to an eargasm. ;)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 04:40:34 AM »
I'd LOVE to try the JPS in my system.  My problem is that I need an 11-12' pair so it's not something stock and certainly not an inexpensive proposition.  I've heard nothing but good about them.  Just not sure how they'll blend in my system.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 07:14:05 AM »
Has anyone tried the latest Statement cord from PS Audio ? They have redesigned the cord and DROPPED the price. Now that's a novel idea. From what my buddy is telling me PS Audio has hit the nail on the head with this one. Worth a listen at least.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2009, 07:57:47 AM »
Sorry, Rob... 'Liquid Ear Sex' is a rare joy.. and Mike's system was like a whore-house full of it that night.  :drool: :rofl:

A big part of all of that is synergy.  The JPS cables have a 'house sound'.. which mated very well with the kind of sound Mike's system already produced.  It didn't fix all problems, just made the most of what he had... which was a pretty impressive platform.

I know he spent a lot of time working on the room layout, speaker positioning, and gear choices over the past couple or few years to get what he has right now.  

Well, to be perfectly honest, much credit goes to my audiobuddies here!   Acquisition of the highly modded Tact came from Carl and the Oracle CD transport and Running Springs Jaco credited to Shane.  Then there are all those Grover ICs - digital & analog - and all the Black Sand power cords that I never would have known about if it wasn't for AN.

You know what they say - do more with LES (liquid ear sex)  :rofl: :drool: :rofl:

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2009, 02:22:21 PM »
Whoa... I almost forgot - great credit to Bill O'Connell and the AN crowd here for my finding the EE Minimax Phono Pre!

Bigfish8

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2009, 02:52:48 PM »
Rob:

Please do yourself a big favor:  do not, I repeat do not connect the Aluminatas into your system.  Hearing them over at Mike's house put me into an audio funk for at least a month.  Carl described them as "liquid ear sex" and I called them unantianium because they are more expensive than any preamp I have ever personally heard.  The SC-3's were excellent and then Shane installed the unantianiums.  The music just hit a whole new performance level.  I left Mike's in an audio funk because I felt I had heard the ultimate SCs and while my HT-Pro 9's are good, they were just blown away!  The worse part was that I knew I would never justify owning the unantianiums unless I hit the lottery and seriously upgrade most of the rest of my system. 

Enjoy the experiementation with the cables and try to resist installing the Aluminatas. 

Ken