Author Topic: Bunch O Amps  (Read 25264 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Bunch O Amps
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2009, 01:28:36 PM »
I'm same as you. I love tube treble. But can't afford 200W of it. Spectron get the tonality and purity right, all those things you mentioned in abundance, but it is strong treble, not gentle like tubes. Being strong you can't ignore it if it's too ragged like you can with tubes, they make things sound prettier than they really are. If rock was my fav music I think I would hate this amp, would make the aggressive mixes unbearable.   It soundstages mid hall, not up front like tubes. At first I missed feeling up close, but I think that is a tubular distortion "they are hear".. It sounds so much more real with this amp.  Mics are closer than the audience seat, that is still screwy. The detail gives that away.

Ecramer

Re: Bunch O Amps
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2009, 02:29:55 PM »
The couple of times i have heard the Spectron amps i was impressed with them. They have a certain easy way of providing power they never seem to strain. Pass Labs amps have the same kinda feel to me. You don't ever see either of them break a sweet. sadly they are both out of my price range.

Ed