Author Topic: Ice is nice!  (Read 22803 times)

miklorsmith

Re: Ice is nice!
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2008, 01:32:01 PM »
Hmmm . . . I knew that phrase was familiar.  :)

Yes, pix please.  I promise not to ridicule.

shep

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2008, 02:51:02 PM »
alright already!

bacobits

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2008, 05:38:47 PM »
Yea, show us the goods!

I think AudioMagus is a neat company. I like their business model and products.
Keeping it small and simple. Reasonable prices too.

I would love to hear the souped up Aeolus.

Den

shep

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2008, 11:46:22 AM »
by popular demand (don't laugh) I'm trying to size the pics down so they are acceptable and sorry for the low light conditions, it's night and my Panasonic isn't great with that and the flash sucks.

[attachment deleted by admin based on 2 year limit]

shep

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2008, 11:48:49 AM »
photo experts...should I size down in percentage or pixels? I did the former.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2008, 01:40:57 PM »
Either is fine.. they show up fine... a little big but not bad.  So if you did 35% you could go to 40% if you want it to show up on the screen.  You're free to experiment.

That's a really neat-looking place.  I love the tapestry, rug, curtain, and stone walls.  Very cool.  The room is a bit of a 'blank slate' so I could see a lot of possibilities.  What's behind you when listening?  Another uncovered and hard wall?  Or is it treated with gobs of absorption? ;)

Nice space.  Get some treatments.  I have some 8th nerve pillows I could ship you to try if you want... They're small and light.. and paintable...

-C

I really enjoy listening to music.

miklorsmith

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2008, 01:54:26 PM »
Way cool!  I totally agree with Carl, what a great space for a listening room.

The amp's neat.  How much power does it make?  Is it a quasi-integrated, with volume control/no source switcher?

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2008, 02:09:57 PM »
Sweet shep! I can imagine Bach choral or brass quintet ringing in that stone space. Awesome!

shep

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2008, 03:04:15 PM »
it's a big room all stone walls, uneven a, slightly asymetrical, wood floors on oak beams, high ceiling; (oak beams with plasterboard between them) (otherwise the heat would escape into the attic space) This house dates from the 15th cent. but the part you see is 18th. The wiring is recent! I have no absorbent materials other than the rugs you see. Their is a sofa facing and a fireplace behind and an open doorway. It's a bit on the cold side (the fireplace is condemned) Really considering the hard surfaces the room is not boomy or echo y. Tl speakers with small drivers are easy in this respect. The amp: I thought I said it all! Hard to get simpler. One in, one out. Nothing else. On off and a great passive resistor-based pot sourced from Australia.
I haven't opened it up to see who's in there and M. MArdis told me to stop quizzing him and just listen so I'm none the wiser. 2X75 watts is whwat this Ice Module puts out. It's burning in non-stop. Very suave and musical little amp. Mine is a one-off and differs from the one sold by AudioMagus in numerous ways that I can't reveal cause I don't know except that it is a lot better says the man. I am sorry I don't have an indicator light and that the on off switch is not on the back! No matter how long and how hard it's run it never gets even warm and my speakers lose their cool long before the amp is anywhere near clipping, or whatever ice amps do when pushed too hard. The stand is a weird thing I bought at a flea market, obviously made by hand. It was the only think that had open sides, which I needed because the speaker wires are so short. To offset obvious vibrations, airborn and floor generated, the plywood "shelves" are sitting on felt and the cd player on a home-brew mix of cardboard, felt and some board I picked up at an art store that has paper sides and some kind of synthetic infill. Who knows if this all works! I once tried suspending gear from a ceiling by wires...back when I was really neurotic, but it was a serious pain to do.
So that's the long and short of it...seriously minimal! The cdp is an OLD MArantz 67mkII seriously modified by a great guy in England who has become something of a guru for this kind of thing (no it don't come cheap and I coudn't afford to go the next levels) all thanks to DIY Forum which is a treasure trove. Speaker wire is OCCC single core sourced in Singapore and the interconnect courtesy of this forum group buy from Grover, who I suppose has already changed it yet again?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 03:09:35 PM by shep »

shep

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2008, 04:56:22 AM »
a better view!

[attachment deleted by admin based on 2 year limit]

shep

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2008, 05:04:25 AM »
Carl what are 8th nerve pillows? Dare I ask (kidding) I've never used any room treatment except a ceiling covered with egg cartons, which was affective but a visual disaster! Don"t know what to say. SAving all my pennies for a trip to NY. Nothing left over for Hi-fi.

shep

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2008, 07:44:22 AM »
this thing just keeps getting better. I wish I could write a proper review, like comparing to a similar powered or priced Tripath amp. I have only the memory of the little super charged Trends to go by and previous to that, my  wonderful sounding circa 1979 Hitachi amp (modded by yours truly and still working perfectly down the road (where it wiped out a "famous" Jean Hiraga amp of later vintage) Since I was using a passive controller of similar quality to the one now in my new amp, this would be an interesting and fair comparison but not going to happen. Anyway I have to say that properly designed and implemented, these ICE modules are very musical indeed. I would be hard put to nitpick. There's a slight acidic quality that will go away as the burn-in is completed I'm sure, and the treble is just a wee bit polite for my taste. Otherwise open up the vol. and it rocks! never loosing composure or hardening, up the the level where my Tl's say "enough already!"
I'm sure I could take them to another level with "better" cables but considering the outlay of about 200$ for wire and interconnects, I would not be ashamed to have any of you listen and marvel! Would be nice to here this on speakers with better sensitivity but that's the way it goes. My neighbour will bring once some JBL monitors he swears by (I have my doubts...) to try. Honestly? I adore these "new" technology amps. I woud absolutely love to hear the Wayred mono amps or BelCanto to know what increased power brings (on another front end, but for now the long road has come to a good place and this is the best 500$ I ever spent.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2008, 08:08:12 AM »
That is a glowing report. After all these months waiting for Mardis to come through, you finally got what you were hoping for.

8th nerve is (was?) a company that makes acoustic treatment products. The pillows are his first generation product which are basically just small soft flat pillows designed to mount in the corners of the room where they absorb midrange reflections at the corner junctions, where the double or triple reflections cause phase error. They do work well for that. http://www.eighthnerve.com/ Pillows are not made anymore, but the latest product they make is called Adapt, which is small FG panel hidden behind a reflective surface, still goes into the corners. This has a stronger effect due to more powerful absorbtion of the FG.

miklorsmith

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2008, 08:37:27 AM »
I think you should write a "proper" review.  There's no time like the present for a first.  Who knows, you might end up liking it! 

shep

« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2008, 10:13:46 AM »
 :shock: This was a proper review... :( what more can I say?) I can't make up this stuff or I'll lose all credibility. As for liking it. No I like sharing with you guys and that's where it ends. Hey remember I live on the edge of civilization! Who's going to schlepp what gear from where to my door so that I can spout nonsense? I'll leave it to you youngsters to carry Nervosa to the far corners of the globe.  :D
This all started with the crazy idea of creating a real hi-end system (sourced from the internet) for more or less 1000$ with just one old -fashioned source (!!!) CD. Just as I had to be dragged screaming from Vinyl to CD, so too I will drag my heals in deep to go any further (computer based etc.) I blew my wad back in the 80's when money was not an issue. Thousands of dollars disappeared down the Discontent hole. Fortunately I was able to salvage a bunch of stuff that has since found it's way into various homes, notably next door where a 30 year old Modulus pre. is still playing blissfully with the original tubes (I kid you not). Speaking of which I also sold him one of the early generations of VPI table and the poor guy has never used it because he can't get belt and VPI wouldn't answer his mail. Anybody got one in a drawer?
Steely Dan is playing upstairs and diner on the stove. Happy Nervosa