Author Topic: "DarqueKnight's" "Studies On Residential Power Line Noise" on Polk Forum  (Read 6051 times)

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
Some very interesting threads over at Polk Audio forum by "DarqueKnight" (Raife)
"Studies On Residential Power Line Noise"
dealing with residential power and audio and home theater systems and
some power related upgrades to his systems -
and he includes some sine wave and Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) oscilloscope plots
which are quite informative...

"Studies On Residential Power Line Noise" Part 1
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70869
"Size Matters: PS Audio xStream Statement SC Power Cords, Juice Bar II, Power Ports"

Studies On Residential Power Line Noise - Part 2
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71382

Studies On Residential Power Line Noise - Part 3
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71545
Part 3- PS Audio Power Plant Premier
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:19:09 PM by rlmacklin »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
That was some cool reading from someone that's very organized and methodical.  I'd be interested to see his results with some other power conditioners for comparison.  Do they do better, worse, the same?

I'm just happy someone has the ambition and know-how to tackle this kind of analysis.  Kudos to Raife.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline spudco

• Seeking Help
Wow - he has done some serious evaluation here.  I agree it would be highly interesting to compare some additional conditioners/cables. 

I currently have dedicated circuits but use no power conditioning in my systems except for my plasma screen.  I may have to talk with my wife about playing with some of her money.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
I've used a few conditioners... The biggest issue with all of them is hum.  If you can find one that doesn't hum AND is effective at power conditioning, you've got a winner.

What's bad is that you can have hum at person's house and not another.  At my old house, everything hummed... at the new house, only 1 conditioner hums... (of 2 Cyberpower 1500's I use for computers)  So at least now I can determine humming vs. non-humming devices.

Rich pointed out that DC offset (I think) for the home voltage may be the culprit for hum.  He's borrowing a conditioner of mine but it hums.. I need to hook it up here and see if it hums... Then get the power company to fix the DC offset at his house if that's the problem.

Of the coniditioners I've tried, they all did 'something'.  I even made a simple bypass cap to filter noise on a power strip.  That works well, especially in noisy environments.

Power Cables are very subjective... It'd be fun to see the heard differences correlated to scientific ones.  However, I wouldn't wish that work on anyone.  Plus, at the end of the day, I know what sounds good to me, in my system.. and I really don't need to feel validated by numbers.  There was a time I was out to prove what I was doing was 'right'.  Now anything I do is right because it's what I want to do.  :lol:

Well, enough rambling for this morning.. time to get to work...

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.