Author Topic: Re: Dave's IC's  (Read 90720 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Dave's IC's
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2013, 05:58:45 AM »
... and if a particular component (notoriously tubed preamps) in your system inverts polarity, then the ground wire becomes the + leg of the signal.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2013, 08:03:52 AM »
... and if a particular component (notoriously tubed preamps) in your system inverts polarity, then the ground wire becomes the + leg of the signal.

Are you sure about that?  While changing pos and neg conductors is one way to invert a signal, it's not the only way.  When the inversion is done through electronic stages the positive lead still carries the signal, just inverted.  In that case, the ground wire still functions as the "ground", not as the positive, signal carrying leg.

DaveC

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »

Are you sure about that?  While changing pos and neg conductors is one way to invert a signal, it's not the only way.  When the inversion is done through electronic stages the positive lead still carries the signal, just inverted.  In that case, the ground wire still functions as the "ground", not as the positive, signal carrying leg.

That's correct. You can invert phase by changing + and - in a balanced system but not in most single ended systems as ground is well... connected directly to ground. In my system if you swap signal and ground it will simply dump the signal to ground and you get no signal at all.

With balanced ICs you have the same wire for + and - legs, and ground is separate from -... here's a pic of a prototype D1 XLR cable:

« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:02:33 AM by DaveC »

DaveC

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2013, 12:03:53 PM »
Update:

Stereonut will have the speakers cables delivered on Friday via USPS priority mail so the tour can continue. Sorry for the delay.

DaveC

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2013, 09:51:10 PM »
Some pics of the cables I sent out today...  8)

14 Gauge Speaker Cables

Furutech FT Series Spades and Bananas on 14 Gauge Speaker Cables

11 Gauge Speaker Cables

11 Gauge Speaker Cables, There are flexible leadout wires going into the spades that can be bent to suit.

D2 IC Cable

Furutech FP-101 RCA Plugs

DD IC Cable

musicfile

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2013, 04:13:37 AM »
Those are some sharp looking cables
Congratulations  :thumb:

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2013, 08:04:09 PM »
Update:

Stereonut will have the speakers cables delivered on Friday via USPS priority mail so the tour can continue. Sorry for the delay.

Woo-Hoo!!!!!! :thumb:
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

DaveC

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2013, 10:14:17 AM »
I am testing out Neotech's new OCC silver/gold alloy wire. It is 99% silver and 1% gold made with the OCC process and insulated with PE.

The cable uses 4 braided strands of 28 gauge wire, which is braided with the two 18 gauge UPOCC copper ground wires.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2013, 08:17:35 AM »
   I'm still breaking the ICs in. So far the Duelund is a bit dull with the same break in characteristic of their CAST caps. The caps took 750 hours to stop changing.
  The other cable with the better Furutech connector out of the box bettered the first one with lessor connector. More open with a larger sound stage. Bass is off the charts with slam and depth.
  The top end as well is not hi fi sounding . They need more time. So I will refrain from commenting until then. What I will say is demo Dave's ICs.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

DaveC

« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2013, 04:20:59 PM »
Sounds good Charles, thanks for the update. I thought you'd like the D2 since the D1 worked for you... it is very similar to the D1, just a better version for double the price.   :)

I'm really liking the new Neotech silver/gold alloy, I have a similar UPOCC silver cable and the alloy wire is even better. It has all the positive qualities of ultra pure silver but with more warmth, tone and texture. It's more similar to the D2 than the DD, like a better version of the D2. Which is good because that wire is very expensive, priced in Duelund territory...

The speaker cables take some time before they are even listenable... break in is pretty dramatic on them but once they've settled they are amazing.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2013, 08:10:22 PM »
I have had Dave's I/C's in the house for quite a long while now and have listened to them against mine and a few other loaner cables when they first got here.  I didn't post my impressions because Dave asked me to listen again when his speaker cables arrived and then post.

Well, the past few weeks around here have been crazy. So crazy that I haven't listened to the SC's yet. :duh  I hate to bore everyone with the details (and I'm not looking for a "pity party") but it's been one thing after another with my family.  My Mom started things off with an emergency room visit, a bad case of the shingles and being quarantined for two weeks. :roll:  Next up was my Step-Mom-In-Law.  She was good for two emergency room visits and surgery on a broken arm. :(  My son chipped in with totaling my wife's car (luckily he didn't get killed) an emergency room visit and a bunch of Dr. appointments as a follow-up to the accident. :shock:

I promised Dave that I would get my listening in on the speaker cables and get a review written by the end of this week. 

Hopefully, the rest of the home front will remain quiet and I will follow through as planned. [-o<

Thanks for listening to my misadventures.
SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2013, 08:57:32 AM »
Hi SN
That is a lot of bad news in a short time. Best wishes so things are back to normal very soon
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

DaveC

« Reply #57 on: September 04, 2013, 09:19:45 AM »
I hope things calm down for you and everyone recovers quickly!

No worries about the slight delay.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2013, 07:39:22 AM »
Thanks, Nick & Dave! :thumb:

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2013, 09:20:24 AM »
OK... I have finally completed my listening with Dave's cables.  (As I said in a prior post, sorry for the unforeseen delay on this review.)

First off, since I'm relatively new to RCA cables (coming from 25+ years of Naim & DIN connectors) the cables I have throughout my current system (see what's listed in my tagline below) are really inexpensive Signal Cable I/C's. Better than "throw in" cables that you'd find in a mid-fi component box, but hardly "state of the art" by any means.

I tried all of Dave's I/C's between my DAC and Pre-amp because I thought that my system would reveal more of their character there.  Overall looks and build quality on everything is really, really nice.  All of Dave's cables "bested" my Signal Cable I/C's easily, which I expected.

After some experimenting with several sets of other (read: not Dave's) loaner I/C's that I have in the house, I settled on two sets of Harmonic Technology I/C's that a buddy and fellow Audio Syndrome member gave me to try.  To date, these seemed to be the best combination of I/C's in my system.  I put a pair of H.T. Pro Silway 2's between my amp and pre and a pair of H.T. Magic Link 1's between my pre and DAC.  This became my new "baseline" (reference) sound.

To reiterate, my comparisons were now done by swapping out the H.T. Magic Link 1's with each of Dave's I/C's between my DAC and Pre-amp.

D1 - The "starter cable" of the line.  Nice cables.  Pretty well balanced, but soundstage was somewhat tight and the front to back depth was a bit shallow. Clean and clear sound with good detail.

D2 - The next step up the line. It was easy to hear that these were better than the D1's. Overall, the D2's had a bigger sound, yet weren't "shouty".  Well balanced like the D1's, but more dynamic.  Soundstage & depth were also better here.

DD's - The top of the line. Great detail with lots of air and separation between instruments, voices etc.  The DD's had a bigger bottom end, yet allowed little subtleties to come through.  In most regards these were better than the D2's, but the top end seemed to be a bit forward in my system. One of two ways to think here on this... either extended listening time would break them in further to help this or they would become fatiguing after a while.  Tough to say.

I think the Harmonic Technology Magic Link 1 cables (between Pre and DAC) are better in my system because they give me everything the D2's give me, plus a fuller, richer sound. But, to be absolutely fair to Dave and his cables, the H.T.'s are a more expensive set of cables by a good amount of $$$.

If I had to pick one of the three sets of Dave's cables, I think the D2's are the best value and most "comfortable" sound overall.  I vote Dave's D2's as one of the best "bang for the buck" I/C's I've heard.  A must audition for anyone shopping for I/C's.

Lastly, Dave's speaker cables.

Extremely nice looking cables.  I absolutely LOVE the "twist-lock" bananas on the one end.  I only could compare these to my QED Silver Spiral's because a certain buddy of mine (who will go un-named) has yet to get me a pair of his speaker cables to audition!

Dave's speaker cables are unbelievably clean, clear and detailed.  The air and space around everything is tremendous!  Their presentation can be a little bit "forward" (especially on vocals) but talk about "focus", they've got it.  On more involved recordings, with larger groups and instrumentation, they opened everything up in a big way.  Where I especially felt they were too far "over the top" was on minimalist, close-miked recordings. (e.g.: Mark Knopfler's "Ragpicker's Dream".)

Compared to my QED Silver Spirals, Dave's SC's were too detailed and didn't give as much weight and layering to the music.  Yes, Dave's SC's give you a lot of space in between everything, but I don't feel there's enough music in between those spaces.  If your system sounds a bit dull or congested, maybe these would be worth a try.  For now, I'm keeping my QED's.

I hope this review helps everybody get an idea of what Dave's cables are all about.  Of course, YMMV.  I always say it and will say it again... the one single word that sums up this hobby is insanity, no I mean synergy!  :rofl:

Just because Dave's stuff isn't better to me and my ears than some of the other cables I own or have tried in my system, doesn't make them a bad product.  Far from it.  I think Dave can consider his mission accomplished: great products and great value!

Thanks for the opportunity to audition your stuff, Dave!

SN

P.S. to Sleepyguy24:  PM me so we can make arrangements to get these cables to you next.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 03:32:48 PM by StereoNut »

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L