Author Topic: the Grover Tour begins.  (Read 55154 times)

AcidJazz

Re: the Grover Tour begins.
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2012, 08:39:58 PM »
Awright...discoveries...
First, the cables sound much better in reverse direction as indicated by Rollo...dot at the load end/or against the direction of the name-tag.
 Image was higher, soundstage was much improved, the 'muteness' was gone, volume level became normal...so much better with percussive instruments definition and 'snap'. I burned them in overnight in this reversed direction before coming to these improved impressions.
Exchanged PMs with Grover, and as per his request the cables will be returned to him for final tweaking before resuming tour.

THis is a darn good cable for the price. My current cable, Kaplan GS, is 4x the price of the Grover Zx...the GS had deeper/more dimensional soundstage, the SX had a slight more forward presentation in the midrange, which sort of made the front to back dimension of the soundstage seem shallower. A different presentation.
Its a big performer...and a bargain.

Looking forward to hearing the tweaked version. :-P
Thanks Grover.

CES here I come.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2012, 06:57:40 AM »
Got the re-worked Grovers this past week. Not sure what was changed from the ones everyone else heard to this point. The RCA's don't seem to be Rhodium to my eyes though,the center pin is gold colored,  so perhaps that was what was changed. I let them burn in overnight, even though Grover said they didn't need it. Signal flow is in the direction of the writing on the label tag.

Tried the short pair first between my Ayre CX7eMP CD player and preamp. I would have to agree with most of what was said before. Tonally and extension-wise these interconnects are very nice. Good balance and extension overall with a nice character, not overly lively and not muted. Not too bright and not too warm - very balanced. However, compared to my Analysis Plus Solid Crystal Ovals they do sound a bit dry. I hear a bit more ambience and resonance with the Analysis Plus cables, with the soundstaging just a bit wider and a hair more "life" in the music.

Overall I am quite impressed with these cables. I will next try them between my preamp and power amp and see how they fare there.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2012, 07:02:13 AM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2012, 08:49:40 AM »
Awright...discoveries...
First, the cables sound much better in reverse direction as indicated by Rollo...dot at the load end/or against the direction of the name-tag.

I wonder if that is something inherent in the cable it self, or just due to the fact that it was the direction that they were installed when Rollo burned them in. Kind of a nature vs nurture thing.  :-k
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline gopher

• Certifiable
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2012, 11:23:25 AM »
Hey Grover!

This is Fred from Head-fi.  Glad to see you here on AN.  You are the man who first made me believe in cables.   :thumb:

Grover makes nice stuff, guys.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2012, 11:40:10 AM »
Handed the cables off to Pete this past weekend after trying them between pre and amp. I heard the same qualities there as on the CD player.

Thanks for the trial Grover. They sound very good. I expect that the slight brightness that some heard has now been eliminated with the retermination of the RCA jacks getting rid of the Rhodium plugs.

AcidJazz

« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2012, 02:40:52 PM »
Hey, how is the tour going?
I'm back from vacation and there doesn't seem to any further comments.

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
Grover ICs connector plating change
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2012, 06:42:29 AM »
in e-mail to me yesterday,
Grover confirmed that he has changed over to the gold plated IC connectors and he characterized it as smoother and more open than the rhodium plated, which he said he learned from the IC tour responses. 
I suggested he update his ICs webpage with regard to the connector plating change...

He will change the terminations for my system's entire Grover Zx ICs complement when he is able to get enough of the gold plated connectors in a month or so...

Offline richidoo

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2012, 09:25:43 AM »
Martin's the only person who heard them before and after the change, that's no consensus.

AcidJazz

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2012, 05:18:47 PM »
I haven't heard them with the new gold connectors, just the rhodium. So zero consensus.  :lol:

grover

« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2012, 10:47:31 AM »
Hi guys, I found out the connectors on these cables are discontinued, so I'd like to get the cables back, and restart the tour with the connectors available. Who ever has the cables if you could send them back to me at:
Grover Huffman
P.O. Box 4734
West Hills, CA 91308
I'll change them over and send them back. I want the cables to represent the cables in production. Sorry for this inconvenience, I wasn't informed of the tour cables connectors imminent replacement.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2012, 12:13:31 PM »
Oyaide Genesis RCA plugs are not being discontinued, and it was never made with a gold center pin.

grover

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2012, 02:16:41 PM »
Hi Rich, yes these connectors are MPS, not Oyaide those are way out of my budget, and probably not as good as the minimal mass MPS. Unfortunately they changed the design on me, the new design is good though.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2012, 08:21:44 PM »
Yes I found the other mfg, MPS, they look nice. Thanks for clarifying Grover.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2012, 08:13:43 AM »
What ever happened to these? Are they still on tour or did they get recalled and changed again?

AcidJazz

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2012, 06:52:00 PM »
What ever happened to these? Are they still on tour or did they get recalled and changed again?

Oh, I thought you had them and weren't letting go.  :lol:

Maybe Grover got all busy again.