Author Topic: Surface Noise Origins  (Read 6616 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Surface Noise Origins
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2020, 07:17:28 AM »
   "Almost" only counts in Darts and Bowling  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2020, 07:55:17 AM »

charles
Not sure I agree with this, Charles.  Although lack of noise is important, it's not the only thing in sound quality.
It may be mood dependent, or maybe it's individual records, but sometimes a bit of noise just doesn't bother me.  Now, lots of noise, that's hard to overlook.
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2020, 10:12:48 AM »

charles
Not sure I agree with this, Charles.  Although lack of noise is important, it's not the only thing in sound quality.
It may be mood dependent, or maybe it's individual records, but sometimes a bit of noise just doesn't bother me.  Now, lots of noise, that's hard to overlook.

Totally Agree S Clark. On most LP's my system is dead nuts quiet. A few have some surface noise and it is tolerable. If there is a lot of surface noise that I cant tolerate I go digital.

I don't have a preferred format. If it sounds good i like it. I stream, CD, Files, LP Saul Goodman!!

Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline James Edward

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2020, 02:34:39 PM »
Yes, I can attest that jimbones' system certainly has minimal surface noise. I know that it's virtually impossible to completely eliminate; it's the nature of the beast. But when we listened to my new copy of 'Ultimate Sinatra' on vinyl, "holy shit" popped out of my mouth.
On used records, my thoughts lean toward stylus shape; maybe the shape is touching badly worn places on the record. Conversely, if your stylus is touching virgin vinyl in the grooves, untouched by previous styli, all is right with the world. I don't know...
Forgetting all that, jimbones wife served up an excellent small pizza. It magically appeared after a number of hunger inducing LP's. It was while eating said pizza that we solved all audio conundrums and found the way forward.

Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0