Author Topic: Anyone Want to Host a House Concert?  (Read 4905 times)

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Anyone Want to Host a House Concert?
« on: January 23, 2011, 08:23:25 AM »
My old friend Stu Weaver is a professional musician living in St Augustine, Florida.  From time to time he looks to perform "House Concerts," performances that occur in personal homes.  Typically he ties his vacation into the trip, so he is willing to travel just about anywhere to perform.

About Stu:  

Even though I wasn't sure Stu would be a star when I knew him back in high school, I was certain that he would garner a living from music, which he has managed to do.  Stu's music, if you must classify it, falls into the singer-songwriter-folky category.  His music is quiet and thoughtful.  You can get samples of his music here: http://www.myspace.com/stuweaver, and learn more about him here: http://www.stuweaver.com/

About House Concerts:

Just like it sounds, a house concert is a semi-formal performance in a home.  An artist sets up in a living room, basement or back yard and performs at your home for you and your friends.  Generally there is a cover charge for the artist, typically $10-$20 per person, and for the cover charge they get a personal and intimate concert performance in a homey and comfortable environment.  Usually the host home will provide a day or two's bed and board for the artist as part of the deal. You can learn more about house concerts here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC-9Xbn5Smo orhttp://concertsinyourhome.com/

Interested in having Stu perform in your home?  Let me know and I'll get him in touch with you.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 09:42:53 AM by allenzachary »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Anyone Want to Host a House Concert?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 09:14:40 AM »
I've heard about house concerts. steveb told me about a family in Raleigh that hosts classical house concerts.  It's a great idea. Kinda like rent partys of olden days...

Thanks Allen

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 12:29:32 PM »
Glad to help.  If one on the AN'ers is up for hosting, I'm sure Stuart will give them a great show.  It'll help both him and whoever hosts.

djdube525

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 02:42:16 PM »
I've heard about house concerts. steveb told me about a family in Raleigh that hosts classical house concerts.  It's a great idea. Kinda like rent partys of olden days...

Thanks Allen

Hey Rich,

Bett Padgett is a local musician who has held house concerts in the past at her house. About a year ago, (allegedly due to some neighbors) the "City of Raleigh Board of Adjustments ruled 4-1 that we are a 'prima facie business' and limited to having only three (3) events per calendar year."

As a result, I believe the shows are on hold. But something to keep an eye on...

http://www.bettpadgett.com/

Dave

P.S. Bett also teaches Guitar... in case anyone is looking for lessons in the Raleigh area.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 03:01:11 PM »
Cool!! That would be fun to see. You have to a have a license to "do business" in your house. I remember getting that permit from Raleigh took some creative maneuvering.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 06:26:25 PM »
Holy crap!  This would be awesome! :shock:

Sign me up!  Let me know what to do.  Send him all my info, you know what the room is like.. My only requests: 
1 - Do not move the speakers, which are pushed back out of the way anyway... and
2 - I'd like to have a good recording of the event.

I'm open to any "house concert" ... I didn't know this type of thing even had a name.  But this is exactly what I have been hoping to do for a while.. :) :) :)

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 07:25:38 PM »
I'll do the recording if he allows it. An artist may not want recordings of himself out of his control.

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 07:40:34 AM »
I figured you'd be up for this, but wanted to offer it to anyone at AN, be   ing Stuart is up for a trip to anywhere in the country.  He may want to do more than one.

He's an interesting guy.  He makes a living playing music and doing voice overs.  He also has a radio program on WFCF (Flagler College Radio) on Sunday mornings under the pseudonym Sean Schuyler (he doesn't want conflict of interest issues even though he doesn't play his own music on his show).

I sent Stuart your contact info.  You should be hearing from him soon. 

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2011, 09:15:51 PM »
I figured you'd be up for this, but wanted to offer it to anyone at AN, be   ing Stuart is up for a trip to anywhere in the country.  He may want to do more than one.

He's an interesting guy.  He makes a living playing music and doing voice overs.  He also has a radio program on WFCF (Flagler College Radio) on Sunday mornings under the pseudonym Sean Schuyler (he doesn't want conflict of interest issues even though he doesn't play his own music on his show).

I sent Stuart your contact info.  You should be hearing from him soon. 

Folksinger Jim Dawson has been doing house concerts for a number of years now (you may remember his album "Songman" which has been on the TAS Supoerdisc list for quite a while.). While I have never made it to one myself, I know several people who have and they did nothing but rave about them.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 08:02:58 AM »
I went to a house concert last summer with Mike Keannealy. Mike was the "stunt" guitarist for Frank Zappa, but also played with many others including many of his own varied recordings. The person hosting the concert is a big fan, obviously. It was great to speak with him personally and hear stories from his past. A very fun time.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 09:35:15 AM »
I overheard two ladies talking about a house concert in the supermarket this morning, next to the eggs of all places! House concerts are everywhere!

Offline allenzachary

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 11:11:11 AM »
Allen=Trendsetter  :D