Author Topic: Jethro Tull @ Jones Beach  (Read 3301 times)

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Jethro Tull @ Jones Beach
« on: June 12, 2010, 07:36:16 PM »
Went to see Jethro Tull at Jones Beach last night (The first of the 2010 Summer Concert Series.)

In spite of the fact that his voice is really shot to hell Ian Anderson is still one heck of an entertainer. The band was tight as could be and Anderson is still a magician with that flute. The last time I saw them live was when I was back in high school in the early 70s. While that was a great show, in 2010 we have the Jumbotrons that really give you a great view of Anderson and his on stage antics (as well as  his Marty Feldman eyes and facial expressions. While I have heard (much) better performances of Tull music, I still thouroughly enjoyed the evening. If you are looking to hear the Anderson vocals of  yesteryear, don't waste your money, you will be extremely disappointed. But if you can get past obsessing over his declining vocal ability and just sit back and enjoy the show you might want to give it a try.

Info on the rest of the tour dates:

http://www.j-tull.com/tourdates/index.html
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 07:38:38 PM by tmazz »
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
Re: Jethro Tull @ Jones Beach
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 06:13:44 AM »
Would LOVE to see JTull again.  Looks like Chicago is the closest place to me.  Will have to see if I can wangle it.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 08:36:38 AM »
I was at the Jones Beach show as well and wholeheartedly agree with what Tom had to say in the original thread post.  I haven't seen Jethro Tull for many years... maybe the last time was as far back as mid-1980's?  I have to say that Tull has been better in all of the other (3-4) performances I've seen them in over the years, but the show on Friday night was still a very enjoyable one.

I do have to admit that Ian Anderson's limited vocal abilities came as a bit of surprise to me, but when you think of it (as much as everyone will hate to admit it) I'm sure a good majority of us reading and writing on AN aren't 20 years old anymore either!  :roll:  (FYI - Ian Anderson will be 63 years old, come this August.)  He still is an incredibly talent flautist, guitarist and most of all a great showman.

There are some lyrics that I have to disagree with Mr. Anderson on though... he's NOT "too old to rock and roll".  :thumb:

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline dangerbird

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 05:32:21 PM »
Saw them a couple of weeks ago in Atlanta,,my first Tull show since the Aqualung and Thick as a Brick tours,,eh,, early seventies,,yep,, Anderson is still quite the entertainer,Barre is still hanging in as well.Glad I got to see them,,one last time.  :D

poloman

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 02:11:08 PM »
Went to see Jethro Tull at Jones Beach last night (The first of the 2010 Summer Concert Series.)

In spite of the fact that his voice is really shot to hell Ian Anderson is still one heck of an entertainer. The band was tight as could be and Anderson is still a magician with that flute. The last time I saw them live was when I was back in high school in the early 70s. While that was a great show, in 2010 we have the Jumbotrons that really give you a great view of Anderson and his on stage antics (as well as  his Marty Feldman eyes and facial expressions. While I have heard (much) better performances of Tull music, I still thouroughly enjoyed the evening. If you are looking to hear the Anderson vocals of  yesteryear, don't waste your money, you will be extremely disappointed. But if you can get past obsessing over his declining vocal ability and just sit back and enjoy the show you might want to give it a try.

Saw him a few years back in Westbury with an orchestra.  Now that was amazing and I saw Tull at least 5 times