Author Topic: Phasure DAC  (Read 6807 times)

Offline bhobba

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Phasure DAC
« on: October 14, 2013, 05:15:03 PM »
Hi Guys

A guy out our way got a hold of a Phasure DAC:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/xxhighend/1.html

It has been taking all before it.

We tried it against a PDX, WFS, Chord QuteHD, and Playback Designs and easily bested all those.

The latest test, and this was a surprise, was against DSD with the Playback Designs, which was the best digital many of us had ever heard.  The report from the guy that did it, and what prompted this post, is it bested that as well.

Its just so clean, clear and pure.  It seems to get better as it warms up and really needs to be on all the time.  As it warms up it gets sweeter.

There is a DAC GTG in the works where it will be pitted against a PDX, Killer DAC, and the top of the line Playback Designs which should be very interesting.

The other interesting thing about the DAC is its the first DAC any of us has come across USB cables make zero difference with.  I have heard plenty of claims that such and such a DAC is immune to USB cable difference eg Playback Designs makes the claim, but this is the first where it actually proved to be true.

We had a listening session last Saturday against a modified WFS.  It was so strikingly better the guy has just posted on the forum here he cant stand it any more and ordered one.

Personally I will be waiting for the GTG before making a decision - but this is one interesting DAC.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:21:41 PM by bhobba »

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Phasure DAC
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 05:48:15 AM »
Funny looking chassis. There seem to be a slew of DAC's coming out in the "reasonably priced" category that are being touted as world beaters. Boy, does this sound familiar.  :lol:

Every time I hear a new inexpensive DAC put up against a truly fine and generally highly regarded CD player or DAC it either sucks or I only hear subtle differences, and sometimes none. The benefit being it may be just as good at a lower price point, which is fine as far as I am concerned.

What I would love to hear in your audition notes is just what makes this better than something like the Playback. Is it more "analogue"? Does it make the speakers disappear? Is it so obvious that waling into a room blind you can tell which is playing or do you need to hear them side by side A-B?

Waiting anxiously for your impressions.

Thanks for taking this on,
Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline machinehead

• Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 07:16:18 AM »
This is not reasonably priced... $4500 in US. ;)
Its cool ndude.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 07:52:27 AM »
In kit form I thought it was about $1500?

Offline machinehead

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 08:25:37 AM »
oh.. Didnt know there was a kit. Cool.
Its cool ndude.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 09:14:10 AM »
Actually I read a little closer. I think you are right Mike, the kit represented the PC they used to drive it. The DAC was  priced at 3300 Euro's = $4400.

Offline machinehead

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 11:46:03 AM »
I retract my retraction and retroact my original statement. i dont like to read either. well... i do... but when it comes to instructions or anything I deem instruction like (like the Karma Sutra.. i just look at the pictures, are there words??) Im a man and screw them instructions. Not sure why I got all instructional since this has nothing to do with that. oh well..
Its cool ndude.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 07:21:50 PM »
What I would love to hear in your audition notes is just what makes this better than something like the Playback. Is it more "analogue"? Does it make the speakers disappear? Is it so obvious that waling into a room blind you can tell which is playing or do you need to hear them side by side A-B?

Hi Bob

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

This DAC just oozes detail, purity and clarity with zero digital edge I can hear. 

DSD via the Playback Designs has a very live, real and present quality to it, but where the Phasure pulls ahead is it has a sweeter more enveloping sound you seem to go along with in a flow, and you seem to notice greater detail - things going on in the recording are more obvious - but still in a natural way.

The real test will come at the DAC GTG where it will be pitted against similarly priced high end DAC's.

What makes this DAC such good value IMHO though is its best without a pre-amp, which saves you money, and its the first DAC I have come across that USB cables make no difference at all, again saving money.

Thanks
Bill

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 07:15:23 AM »
Hey Bill how did the GTG go ? Curious minds want to know.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.