Author Topic: Ipad As Remote And New Version Audirvana  (Read 4485 times)

Offline bhobba

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Ipad As Remote And New Version Audirvana
« on: January 17, 2013, 03:11:29 PM »
Hi Guys

I have been meaning to do it for a while but I finally got around to getting an Ipad Mini to use as a remote for Itunes.

I had a few issues with getting it connected to my Wi Fi - a bit of an internet search showed I was not the only one - for some reason it seems to have problems.  I connected it initially after bit of an effort but my really nice niece who lives at the front of my rat shack with my sister likes to do downloads using my internet connection during prime time - I have asked her time and time again not to do it - but its like speaking to a brick wall.  The only way to stop her is to change the password so she cant use it.  But she steals it from my sister and you have to keep changing it all the time - really annoying.  Anyway had to change it and when I tried to connect my Ipad to it after the change it wouldn't connect.  Pulling my hair out.  Finally got it working by switching password protection off on the modem - then it connected.  Switching it back on and it allowed me to enter the password and connect - really weird.

Anyway once it was working it really is good.  The convenience and functionality is simply first rate.  What I do is direct connect to my amp and use the volume control in Audirvana which is basically a shell around Itunes so the volume control on the Ipad controls the volume - very transparent that way.  I set Audirvana to load when my Mac Mini starts.  All you have to do is fire up the mac - you don't even have switch on the TV I use as monitor and once it starts the remote application works perfectly.  Its really nice relaxing and simply selecting what to listen to and adjusting the volume - much much better than getting up or straining to read the monitor from where you sit.

Oh and the other thing I noticed is the sound may be slightly 'cleaner' without the TV running - not sure if it would pass a blind test though.

And to top it off I noticed the new version of Audirvana it downloaded sounds a bit better as well - previously I thought Bitperfect had a slight edge - not much in it mind you - the difference wasn't the sort of thing that made me want to always fire up Bitperfect - but it was there to my ears - slightly cleaner. Now I think Audirvana has a definite edge to the point I want to use it all the time - more dynamic with greater life - it seems to sound subjectively a bit louder. 

An Ipad as remote really is good - highly recommended.

Thanks
Bill

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Ipad As Remote And New Version Audirvana
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 05:45:41 PM »
Bill,

no need to keep changing the password to block out your niece.  You can go into your router settings and block access to her MAC address. That way no matter what the password is and who tells it to her the system will not allow her computer to connect.

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline JBNY

• Seeking Help
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 06:41:03 AM »
One thing to keep in mind when using the mac, ipad, or a PC for that matter, for volume control is how the volume is being lowered. On most computer operating systems, the volume is lowered digitally by reducing the bit depth, say from 16bits down to 15, 14 etc. This will of course not leave the song bit perfect anymore. Dithering keeps the music sounding pretty much the same at the lower volume/bit depth, but if you are looking for bit perfect, most times lowering the volume from the preamp is still the better option.

Of course if it is convenience you are after, lowing the volume from the OS is the way to go.
-Joe
Von Schweikert Speakers/Seismic Isolation Podiums
W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp/SST SOA2 Amp
Roon Core i7NUC/Synology 52TB NAS
Matrix X-SABRE PRO (MQA) DAC/Pi4 Ropieee
Pass Labs X-17 Phono/OL Resolution MK4 TT/Conqueror MK3c/Kiseki PH
Equi=core 1800 Balance

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2013, 08:21:04 AM »
Audirvana looks pretty nice. Files are upsampled to 64bits for "processing" (whatever that is,) so the digital volume control must be dithered. They say it's a good dithering process, but still some loss of signal quality. I'd rather skip the processing, leave my file in native bit depth, and use a higher bit digital volume control for attenuation, with no truncation. I think Pure Music does this, but apparently is not as stable and easy to use as this program. Bill, what kind of processing is done at 64 bit besides VC?  Do you use any of the tone settings or whatever effects are provided?

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2013, 10:56:22 AM »
I think the 64 bits is for software up sampling, no? Im not sure if that is used for volume control. I think its different. MBIT+?
Its cool ndude.