Author Topic: Tube DAC or Tube CD Player suggestions...???  (Read 8703 times)

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
Tube DAC or Tube CD Player suggestions...???
« on: June 28, 2012, 09:10:32 AM »
OK.  Not that I've given up on auditioning amp & pre-amp combo's in my system as I get more loaner gear to listen to (see AN thread http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=3978.0 as a reference) I'm thinking a new digital front end may be more of a priority right now, considering my Cambridge Azur 840C CD player went up in flames on this past Sunday!!! :evil: Grrrr!!!  

As I said in Post #20 on the "Hybrids vs. Mix 'n Match" thread that I listed above; I'd love it if I could keep the detail, P.R.A.T. and an extended top and bottom end of my Naim electronics and combine it with the beautiful mids and natural decay of the Rogue tube gear, I'd be in Audio Nirvana!!!  I'm sure I'm not alone in those thoughts, but getting there is easier said than done. (Especially on a limited $$$ budget.)

Considering my CDP situation, I'm thinking that maybe the best thing to do for now is find a nice sounding tube CD player... or use the "B Team" cheapie Cambridge D500 SE player I used Sunday as a replacement to the 840C that burnt out as a Transport (for now) and buy a nice Tube DAC? 

The only real requirements/restrictions would be that whatever I buy has the capability of being used in a computer front end some day in the future and I stay within a $1500.00 budget.

If I am extremely lucky, I'll be able to "kill two birds with one stone" that way.  Replace my digital front end and add some of that beautiful tube warmth and weight to my Naim stuff which sounds a bit lean in comparison.

One can only hope! [-o<

Thanks!
SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Online Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Tube DAC or Tube CD Player suggestions...???
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 06:12:11 AM »

I would give the Burson DAC a try.
I compared it to the Wyred DAC1 and found the Burson to be a bit fuller sounding almost tubeish if you will without the tube.

I ultimately chose the Wyred myself. After living with a Naim CD5/flatcap for years, the Wyred had the energy of the Naim plus the soundstage, imaging and depth that the naim could not touch.

My two pesos...
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 06:36:06 AM »
What about going to a Squeezebox and DAC solution? Come to the dark side!
Its cool ndude.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 07:06:49 AM »
What about going to a Squeezebox and DAC solution? Come to the dark side!

Someday, Mike.  I'm just too "chicken" to do that right now and even when I do decide to go that route, I'll still want to keep a transport or CDP in the system for when friends are over for a listen and bring some of their music that they want to hear. 

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:03:42 AM »
 Bill, Paul L. I believe has an Audio Note DAC you could listen to. His system is down and the DAC sitting around.
  Next up would be a Musical Fidelity DAC [ Russ ?]. A bit of a stretch would be the AMR DAC or CDP. Not inexpensive at list but you have friends. Let's not forget Marantz either.
  The EE DAC+ we heard that day might need another demo using a richer sounding tube like a Mullard or Telefunken.
   Bill no gear I know of has the PRAT and life of NAIM besides MBL. That for you is going to be hard to replace. Yes a bit lean but not overwhelming so. Hook up your TT again and take another listen. if the TT sounds better to than CD voice your system accordingly with cabling and or a different CD or DAC.
   It is difficult at best to voice ones system for both formats.
Have fun trying.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 08:16:35 AM »
Bill, Paul L. I believe has an Audio Note DAC you could listen to. His system is down and the DAC sitting around.
  Next up would be a Musical Fidelity DAC [ Russ ?]. A bit of a stretch would be the AMR DAC or CDP. Not inexpensive at list but you have friends. Let's not forget Marantz either.
  The EE DAC+ we heard that day might need another demo using a richer sounding tube like a Mullard or Telefunken.
   Bill no gear I know of has the PRAT and life of NAIM besides MBL. That for you is going to be hard to replace. Yes a bit lean but not overwhelming so. Hook up your TT again and take another listen. if the TT sounds better to than CD voice your system accordingly with cabling and or a different CD or DAC.
Have fun trying.

charles

Charles... AMR ???

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 09:37:12 AM »
Charles... AMR ???

http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/dp777_individual.html

This was a big hit with the NC boys when Shane had it in stock a couple months ago. I didn't hear it though. Another friend of mine in MA has the CD-77 and loves it. 

Used Raysonic tube CDP is very nice and fits your budget.

The Ayre DX-5 DAC is excellent, or a used Ayre CDP, ask BobM for advice.

A DAC would be more valuable because it would allow streaming from net.

Upgrading from the Cambridge CDP would probably get you the smoothness that you are hoping to get by adding tubes. It's your weakest link right now, imo. Tube source isn't necessary.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 09:44:05 AM »
Have fun trying.

charles

Charles... AMR ???

The AMR is very sweet... Heard berto's rig with the AMR... very compelling... also, BobM's Ayre with the MP upgrade is very, very good!

Too bad you couldn't snag that Goldenote Stibbert IV that went for a song about a year ago... sweet, sweet, analog sounding tube unit that bests the Lector CDP...  :duh

Cheers,
Pete  :rofl:
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 10:45:50 AM »
...Too bad you couldn't snag that Goldenote Stibbert IV that went for a song about a year ago... sweet, sweet, analog sounding tube unit that bests the Lector CDP...  :duh

Cheers,
Pete  :rofl:

You're never gonna let me live that down - huh?  You are just too cold hearted and cruel, Pal O'mine! :mrgreen:

SN 

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 11:13:00 AM »
Charles... AMR ???

http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/dp777_individual.html

This was a big hit with the NC boys when Shane had it in stock a couple months ago. I didn't hear it though. Another friend of mine in MA has the CD-77 and loves it. 

Used Raysonic tube CDP is very nice and fits your budget.

The Ayre DX-5 DAC is excellent, or a used Ayre CDP, ask BobM for advice.

A DAC would be more valuable because it would allow streaming from net.

Upgrading from the Cambridge CDP would probably get you the smoothness that you are hoping to get by adding tubes. It's your weakest link right now, imo. Tube source isn't necessary.

Thanks for the clarification on AMR, Rich... along with your other suggestions.  Keep them "cards and letters" coming, folks! :thumb: SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 11:20:11 AM »
Just curious?  Does anybody here (on AN) own or have you heard any of the stuff that The Pacific Valve & Electric Co. carries?

http://www.pacificvalve.us/index.html

• Yaqin
  • Lite
  • Doge

SN

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 05:07:36 PM »
I had a Yaquin amp and preamp for a while, loaners of course, the amp was very good , the pre was very good as well, very tubey sounding but good, enjoyable, a couple of caps and tweaks and it could be very good for no money, I believe, or make it worse! The amp was like $450! ...that is like free in this hobby for an amp, for an extra $300 you could buy Bybee resistors!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 08:32:24 PM by topround »
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2012, 08:05:39 PM »
for an extra $300 you could buy Bybee resistors!

Hardeeharhar

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 08:33:04 PM »
c'mon that was a good one! :rofl:
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 07:02:17 AM »
Update 7/26/12

I've got my Cambridge 840C Azur CD player back from Scott (http://sgcustomsound.com/) and lucked out that the damage was minimal considering the pyrotechnics we witnessed when it burnt up!  He replaced a resistor (?) and it was "good as new".

In addition to that good news, I received the used Eastern Electric Minimax DAC that I bought and hooked it up last night. Even with a new and un-broken in Black Cat Veloce digital cable (bought from somebody on AC un-used) it sounded really, really good. (BTW - I prefer the tube setting on it in my system.)  It is giving me a lot of what I was looking for (more weight and warmth) and some things (more details and attack) beyond that.

According to the seller (I haven't looked yet) he shipped it with a Mullard in place and the stock tube packed separately (which is still in bubblewrap.) My initial listening last night tells me that this was definitely a move in the right direction for me. :thumb:

Next up, tube rolling! 8)

• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• T.W.L