Author Topic: SHANLING SACD PLAYER??  (Read 13189 times)

kallitype

SHANLING SACD PLAYER??
« on: February 07, 2008, 08:48:09 AM »
Does anyone have personal info about this player?  I am considering one on Audiogon, but would not pull the trigger if it is not substantially better on redbook and SACD than my Ah! Tjoeb 99/Sony SACD 595 combo.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: SHANLING SACD PLAYER??
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 12:08:18 PM »
Welcome to AudioNervosa!
I am in no way qualified to answer your question but wanted to say welcome.  If I had to speculate I would say there would not be a 'substantial' improvement... but I don't know. 
Good luck,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 07:10:57 AM »
  Its a tough call. What model is it ? Is it tubed ? If it is you will have the ability to tweak the sound to your preference with different tubes. Will it blow away the sony/ 99 combo NO. Youn will need to spend more to blow away your combo.
    Remember in digital the return is small as you climb the ladder in price. However that small improvement may be the ticket your looking for. Really hard to say without knowing your system.
 The character of the Shanling is smooth yet detailed. My suggestion is to read a review on the piece to determine the overall character of the unit and then decide if it fits in to your system. good luck.

rollo

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

kallitype

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2008, 04:29:41 PM »
Thanks Rollo----reviews are scarce, there are a couple 6moons reviews of very $$ modified units from Underwood, but have found none on the stock, unmodified CD200 compared to the other popular tubed CDP, the modified Marantz known as the AH! Tjoeb.  I have had the Tjoeb 99 for about 3 years, my pal has the Tjoeb 4000 and it is a slight improvement.   Noone in my neck opf the woods (Puget Sound) carries Shanling, so I was hoping one of the other inmates has one and could comment.  At $2700, they're probably not sellinglike hotcakes, but they sure look hot!!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 09:05:42 AM »
  For $2700 The Bel Canto DAC2 comes to mind, A used Lector CDP7. Consider a DAC for that kind of money and your ahead of the game. IMO not many single box players wiill outperform a quality DAC and decent transport. Have fun.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 05:44:56 AM »
I've listened to the Bel Canto DAC2 critically twice, and I was impressed both times.  I was pretty close to buying one when I went with a modified TacT a couple years ago.  If I was buying an oversampling DAC, it would be the highest on my list to re-visit.

Combo players I've heard that 'set the bar' are the BAT VK D5 and an Oracle CD-1000.  The Oracle has been a good reference at our local gatherings (thanks to Shane).  If you get a chance to compare the Shanling or your setup to the 2 I mentioned, you'll probably get an idea of what direction you'd prefer.  Both setups present the music differently.  The BAT has a little more tube flavor and the Oracle is ultra-refined.  My guess is that one or the other could really knock your socks off... but there's no way to know that...

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Norm

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 04:12:51 PM »
I have a Shanling scd-3000, but it is modified by John Tucker at Exemplar. As such, it is the best sacd and cd player I have heard. I compared it with the Esoteric X-01 LE, the Accustic Arts Drive One mk iv and their non-tube dac, and the Exemplar/Dennon 5910. It was handily better. I still retain it for use in the summer and to play sacds as I now have an Exemplar Musicserver.