Author Topic: ModWright Transporter  (Read 24692 times)

Bigfish8

ModWright Transporter
« on: May 27, 2008, 06:57:54 AM »
I took the big plunge and purchased a ModWright Transporter.  It was connected into the system last Tuesday Evening and has been playing nonstop since that time for break-in.  The Transporter replaces an S3 that had the basic analog mods plus platinum caps added by Bolder and it was powered by an modded Elpac (brick).  Owners on AC claim the Transporter needs at least 200 hours before it is pretty much settled in.  My initial impressions are: 1) It actually looks kool, 2) It sounds really good but I have not taken the time to compare it to the S3 yet as I wanted to get the break-in time accomplished. 

My decision to go with the ModWright Transporter was that I wanted one of the best digital streaming sources available.  I know that something new will come along in a few weeks but the ModWright gives me the ability to alter the flavor of the music with tube changes.  I must add that I am really enjoying the process of improving the sound of my system - one link in the chain at a time!

Ken

Black Sand Cable

Re: ModWright Transporter
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 07:43:06 AM »
Hey Ken,

Congrats! I had one many moons ago and although I ended up going a different route, it works fairly well for what it is.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:29:54 AM by Black Sand Cable »

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 07:43:48 AM »
Very cool, Ken!    Can't wait to hear your take on how it compares to your modded SB3.    Keep us posted on what you're hearing.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 09:31:37 AM »
Can't wait to hear!!

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 11:27:55 AM »
Hey Ken, I'm super excited for you and I really hope you like what you hear.

Just a few questions... Does adding the tube reverse the polarity of the output?  Some tube DAC's do... wasn't sure.  I know it's not a big deal but it can make a difference... (Basically the middle '+' becomes '-' and vice versa.  Normally the center pin carries the '+'... Scott Nixon had a DAC that reversed the polarity.)

Is the tube on the DAC only?  Could you compare an external DAC with the internal DAC?

Thanks,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

Bigfish8

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 11:57:33 AM »
Carl:

You asked some good questions for which I will be trying to determine an answer.  My Candela Preamp reverses phase and the Bolder Modded S3 reversed phase so I ended up not needing to reverse my speaker cables. 

Here is the review article on the ModWright Transporter:  http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/modwright3/transporter.html

It came with 1 = 6CG7 Rectifier Tube and 2 - 6N1P Driver Tubes.  I purchased a new Mullard Cryoed Rectifier Tube to try - maybe next week.

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 07:49:35 PM »
The TP has digital out, so it could feed external DAC with near bit perfect sync. Phase is correct while still digital. From Modwright website: "Unit does not invert absolute phase. "  8)

Ken, I have some old (cryoed?) NOS Russian 6N1Ps that I bought to try to tame the bigger than life AVA T8 to no avail. I'll mail them to you, I will never use them again. Carl has some St Pete Svet 6N1Ps that were a little worn, but still best of the three brands I tried. New Sensor Svets (only new production nowadays) are just OK. 6922 should pop in, right? Panasonic (Matsushita) made a beautiful 6922 in the 70s, and they are cheap. My god what a beautiful tube. I sold them with my Cary like a dummy. Got them used from Andy at Vintage.
Rich

Mike L

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 08:09:50 PM »
Hey Ken,

Congrats! I had one many moons ago and although I ended up going a different route, it works fairly well for what it is.

Just curious John, what is your digital source now?

Thanks,
Mike

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 10:56:05 PM »
Hey Ken,

Just curious John, what is your digital source now?

Thanks,
Mike

Right now I flip back and forth between a stock Sonos ZP-80 unit and a modified Sonos ZP-80 (Cullen Circuits) with a variety of different DAC's that I'm playing with including a stock PS Audio DLIII and a modified PS Audio DLIII (Cullen again Stage IV)...... :D

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 05:04:28 AM »
Looks cool John  8)
Clullen Circuits ZP-80 mod

Bigfish8

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 06:25:47 PM »
The TP has digital out, so it could feed external DAC with near bit perfect sync. Phase is correct while still digital. From Modwright website: "Unit does not invert absolute phase. "  8)

Ken, I have some old (cryoed?) NOS Russian 6N1Ps that I bought to try to tame the bigger than life AVA T8 to no avail. I'll mail them to you, I will never use them again. Carl has some St Pete Svet 6N1Ps that were a little worn, but still best of the three brands I tried. New Sensor Svets (only new production nowadays) are just OK. 6922 should pop in, right? Panasonic (Matsushita) made a beautiful 6922 in the 70s, and they are cheap. My god what a beautiful tube. I sold them with my Cary like a dummy. Got them used from Andy at Vintage.
Rich

Rich:

We will need to plan to get together soon and conduct some tube rolling.  I hope I have the opportunity to get out with Vera this weekend to search for a new double recliner loveseat or some other seating option for listening and watching tv.  The speakers are now positioned away from one of the short walls rather than the long wall as you saw/heard it.  Once we obtain the furniture of Vera's choice I will certainly need your help with working on speaker placement.  I think it will be one of those deals where I will have to move them to the optimum spots and then move them back out of the way.  Life seems full of comprimises and as much as I love my system I do not want to sleep alone!

Ken

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 07:38:14 PM »
Sounds great. Especially the cushy double loveseat recliner. That could be the best component of the whole "entertainment" system  :D

Moving the speakers all the time would be a major drag, but I did wonder how you would get the speaker cables across the doorway. I thought maybe put the amps near speakers on the long walls. Then maybe run the ICs through the basement... ?????  Or how about putting them on a swingarm attached to the sidewalls, so you can easily swing them into and out of position. Woudn't be as cheap as sliding...

That reminds me aof a funny story, a couple weeks ago, Julie was looking at all the speakers lined up like a showroom, while I swapped and compared stuff. She came in and said, "What you need is a turntable."  Instantly my heart lit up, picturing a shiny new Kuzma Stabi S, so I said, "You know you are absolutely right!"  She continued, encouraged, "Two big turntables to hold all the speakers. Then you could just press a button and they would rotate to the next speaker, ready to play. No sliding, grunting or swearing." My heart sank, she was only joking.

So I thought about that when you said move the speakers Ken. What you need is a "slider." Or an electric trap door. haha

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 06:48:47 AM »
Do you have a crawl space?  How about having them rise up through the floor? ;)
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 11:57:37 AM »
Speaker wire topic split to here:
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=1005.0

Thanks
Rich
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 12:00:06 PM by richidoo »

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 02:29:07 PM »
I see a JPS debate coming.....Shane where are you? Never mind, I see he posted!  :rofl:

Ken, do you have your Transporter yet or is it just on order?