Author Topic: Julia Fischer - Paganini 24 Caprices and a DVD-Video  (Read 5727 times)

Offline rlmacklin

• Certifiable
Julia Fischer - Paganini 24 Caprices and a DVD-Video
« on: July 12, 2010, 05:49:22 AM »
from "Crotchet July Notes for classical music multi-buys and discounts" e-mail :

Julia Fischer confirms her position as a foremost virtuoso of the violin with her assured ascent of an Everest of the solo violin repertoire - Paganini's towering and fiendishly challenging 24 Caprices. "The Caprices represent twenty-four moods, little musical ideas, each one different, each one appealing." - Julia Fischer.
Julia Fischer, one of classical music's most technically accomplished, poised, and versatile violinists, is an artist of musical integrity. Such is the range of her talent that she could enjoy a career as a concert pianist.

Crotchet price for 24 Caprices £10.99 or £9.35 excluding Value added Tax.
Save 12% the above is a Special Price until 29-Sep-2010 then £12.50 or £10.64 excluding VAT.

Also released in August is a DVD-Video featuring Julia Fischer performing two concertos - each on different instruments - on a remarkable 2008 New Year's Day concert.
Crotchet price for this DVD £12.95 or £11.02 excluding Value added Tax.
Save 12% the above is a Special Price until 27-Sep-2010 then £14.75 or £12.55 excluding VAT.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Julia Fischer - Paganini 24 Caprices and a DVD-Video
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 04:06:18 PM »
Dig this!!!

http://www.arkivmusic.com/albumpage/482159-E715-5

I just saw this album on special at Arkivmusic this weekend for $14.

God, she is so SEXY!!!

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 04:10:41 PM »

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 08:07:56 AM »
and another one... DVD on sale

http://www.arkivmusic.com/albumpage/390830-E715-5

This disc is of  pretty amazing event.

From the arkivmusic link:
This DVD features Julia Fischer performing Saint-Saens' Violin Concerto no. 3 as well as Grieg's Piano Concerto on the same concert. Filmed live on New Year's Day 2008, this concert marked the professional debut of Julia Fischer as a concert pianist. In his review of this concert Arno Widmann of the Frankfurter Rundschau newspaper described the atmosphere in the concert hall: "The excitement of the audience was palpable. After all, everyone was aware that only two extremes were possible: either this would turn out to be the total disgrace of one of the greatest living violinists; or it would mark the triumphant birth of a new pianist. From the beginning of the Adagio of the Grieg piano concerto, everyone present knew they were witnessing the overwhelming triumph of Julia Fischer."

How many artists can do something like that?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 11:13:53 PM »
They played this Paganini record on the radio tonight. Dammit I was enforcing bedtime, so I didn't hear much of it. But what I did hear was really strong. Very intense tone and attack, as always.

Offline tmazz

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 07:45:30 AM »
Dammit I was enforcing bedtime, so I didn't hear much of it.

I remember those days.  :D  Having to be the bad guy about bedtime and them always trying to weasel and extra 15 minutes out of me. It actually might have been the start of my younger guys battle with nervosa. I got to the point where I would promise them that if they got ready for bed within a specified amount of time I would take them down to the mancave and let them pick out one or two songs to listen to while sitting on "the chair" (on my lap while they were still small enough.) Anything in my collection, or theirs was fair game (although Alice's Restaurant and In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida were off the bedtime listening list for obvious reasons.) I am kind of ashamed to admit it, but on more that one occasion the sound of "Barney's Greatest hits came pouring out of my Thiels.  :duh Good times. I miss those days. Now it's Hi Dad, Can I use the car, thanks, bye.

The grow up way too fast.  :(

(Which I guess also means that we are getting older way too fast  :shock: )

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline tmazz

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 07:58:02 AM »
OK, Pandora is in my s#%t list.  :evil:

I figured that if I set up a Julia Fischer station that I would get to hear (at least part of) the new Paganini release as well as some of her other stuff while at work today (They have blocked some of the other streaming services at out  firewall, but for some reason  Pandora always makes it through.)

So I put Julia Fischer into the artist search box and Pandora comes back and asks Julia who? Arrrrrgh!!!!

Wait a minute maybe they have just redeemed themselves, just a little bit. I was just able to set up a Lang Lang station.   :thumb:

I guess it is going to be an afternoon of piano music.....

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline richidoo

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 08:41:39 AM »
Well, don't get too comfy with Pandora yet. You make a Lang Lang station, you will get lots of music that their database thinks is LIKE Lang Lang... Fortunately with a custom station you get to tell it no or yes to make it better. But you can never tell it to only play Lang Lang and Nothing else!!!! Toobad.

On a shared station, like Bebop / Combo which I listen to all the time, the Like or Dislike buttons are grayed out, you can only tell it to not play this track for a month.

The record publishers have to agree to put their music on Pandora, probably for a relatively low royalty fee compared to CD sale or broadcast fee. I don't remember hearing any Pentatone records on Pandora yet, but I could be wrong. But she recorded a couple records for Decca right before they went belly up.   I would love to be able to make a Pentatone station  :thumb:   Thanks might be a nice marketing angle for a record company. Free stream of 128k tracks of those albums that you want to boost.

Rambling.... on and on... Still no sawdust and a neighbor dropped an infected computer in my lap again. ug

Offline tmazz

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 10:26:32 AM »
I have been using Pandora at work for a couple of years now, but have never thought to build any stations centered around any classical music. I have stations for numerous jazz rock and folk artists, but i just never occurred to me before today  to set up a channel for anykind of classical music. No particular reason why, I just never did.

I makes sense that Julia could be missing because Pandora has no agreements with Pentatone records yet. I should look on the Pandora site for any kind of feedback or comments section. It would probably help get the ball off the mark if a bunch of us wrote in to Pandora requesting that the put some of Julia's work in there database. It couldn't hurt. I'll let you know if I find anything. 

Tom

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9