Author Topic: G2G August 2nd at Carl's  (Read 22159 times)

pmkap

Re: G2G August 2nd at Carl's
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2009, 11:35:51 AM »
Rich and Carl,

Thanks for the comments on the Kaplan Cords H.E. They were pretty reasonable for the rhodium terminated cord. I do wish you'd demoed the same cord with the copper terminations that I sent, which might have been a better fit for your preamp. I make my cords with an option for the terminations, as systems/components are voiced differently, and IMO, it makes sense to provide customers options to find that best fit.

Thanks again,
Paul
kaplancables.com

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2009, 11:52:43 AM »
Sounds like you guys had a good time.

I will second what Paul said.  What you heard with the Rhodium would have been eliminated with the copper connections.  I have 2 of each and it's nice having the flexibility to voice things as needed.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2009, 12:26:36 PM »
We made the false assumption that Rhodium was the premium Kaplan model, so it was chosen to "represent." But now I understand that the two models are not different just for economy, but for tuning flexibility. Carl and Chris have offered me to audition them at my house. I should have taken them with me last night, but at the time I had no stomach to commit to more wire listening with so many other audio projects piling up. When I pick them up I will try to have a listen on Carl's system again. Everything is exactly the same as the test setup except JPS Superconductor Q biwire instead of JPS Superconductor 3 biwire for the speaker wires.  I know Carl is pretty busy now but we'll try to arrange a visit soon.  There is rumor of another meet coming up soon too, but that may be chock full of gear already. 

It would also be cool to hear the Kaplans on power amp and pre together. I have tube monoblocks so I will test Kaplans on preamp only with BSA on the amps. No doubt both Kaplans will be an improvement over my old faithful:

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2009, 02:58:50 PM »
I'll check out the coppers, I thought about that briefly.. but man, what a slew of cables we went through... My mind wasn't 'all there' by the time we got to PC's.  The main focus of this meet was the IC's.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2009, 04:35:42 PM »
Understand.  Just wanted you to know that it's not a price thing, it's a tuning/sound thing between the 2.  I personally use the Rhodiums on my source and preamp - coppers on the amps.

Bryan

pmkap

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2009, 04:37:51 PM »
I'll check out the coppers, I thought about that briefly.. but man, what a slew of cables we went through... My mind wasn't 'all there' by the time we got to PC's.  The main focus of this meet was the IC's.

-C

Carl - I hear ya.... after a certain point (about 5 minutes) comparing powercables is about as much fun as watching paint dry. Whether my cables are terminated in rhodium or copper, or a 20amp Hubbell IEC or Neutrik Powercon. they're all the same price. Its not a question of better, but rather what is subjectively preferable or logistically practical in your system.

Rich - PM me about an extra cable if you'd like to hear them on your monoblocks.

Regards,
Paul

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2009, 05:46:58 PM »
I can't even imagine hours of power cable comparison.  That's enough to numb the mind.

Thanks for taking one for science with the IC's, etc.

Bryan

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2009, 08:05:22 PM »
I thought some photos were taken... Are they already in the gallery? ;)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Grover swaperoo
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2009, 01:26:47 PM »
FYI, I have a leftover Grover SC. and am missing an SX pair of interconnects.
I would like to mail the package to someone but can't give them the full 'SX' package until I swap back with whoever has that one..
I may have lent it out, just can't remember..
Let me know..
Thanks,
Carl

Offline richidoo

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2009, 01:38:47 PM »
I have both my pairs of SC. so it's snot me.  I think Dr Connelly is the another SCdot owner?

I have pictures of G2G, I need to shrink and post. In fact I'll go do that now that the kids have finally given up on Roblox.com for a minute.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2009, 01:48:32 PM »
While I brought my pair of SC. ICs to the G2G, I never even took them out of the bag since Rich had two pairs with him.

Carl, did you ever get a chance to compare the two Kaplan PCs?  I think we only listened to the Rhodium, right?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2009, 02:08:54 PM »
I plan on doing another power cord comparison including the Kaplan copper.. I'll post up when that's going down...

If Rich and Mike don't have the Grover's swapped.. who could it be?  I've never had an SC. so I know it's not mine..  Unless Grover sent an SX and an SC.. but I don't think so..

-C

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2009, 02:12:56 PM »
Just double-checked and the cable pair I have is definitely 'SC.'.     I wonder if perhaps Grover only upgraded the speaker cable?    Do you remember seeing 'Sx' on the ICs?

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2009, 02:27:05 PM »
Yes, I have 1 pair of 'SX' and one pair of 'SC.' IC's.
The SC's are SX's. 
-C

Offline richidoo

« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2009, 02:37:00 PM »
I'm down for a PC comparo. That last g2g was fun!

S SC SC. SX IC SC PC dot dot dot
reboot