Self Medicating > General DIY

Voltage Drop Calculator

(1/2) > >>

Carlman:
There's a ton of 'em out there but thought I'd post a link to a voltage drop calculator here for reference:
http://www.csgnetwork.com/voltagedropcalc.html
Enjoy.
-C

mgalusha:
Nice. According to that with a 5A load in my new room will see a drop of .4V. That's a 30ft run of 10GA copper. Of course most of the time the load will be less than 5A, so things should be good. It would be .8 with 12GA, so going up 1 size cut that in 1/2.

richidoo:
I wonder if that JPS power wire has lower resistance or worthy of finding out the specs to see what's going on with it.

Bill O'Connell:
Mike , I know you just built a new audio room, did you use that JPS wire from the box to your outlets?
 Carl, are you going to use this wire in the (cave) once you start the basement room?

I ran dedicated lines years back and just used some 12 gauge stranded wire from Home depot but since then I wish I would have gone with some different wire as I was using some of this stuff for speaker wire and wasn't bad so thought I would run it from my box to the outlets. I wish I had used the 6 gauge 17 strand from Lowes that was all the rage for speaker cable a while back when Bound For Sound considered it the best wire they had ever used for speaker cable regardless of price. It's a little to big I had thought for hooking up to outlets from the box .
 I have talked with Shane(Hometheatredoc) about using the JPS wire and if I could ever get my nephew(electrician) over here to pull a couple of wires so I can find out the footage I need to change from box to outlets I will probably go with the JPS stuff for the dedicated lines.
 Any thoughts on this?
Thanks,
Bill

richidoo:
JPS' biggest speaker wire is 5ga twisted, maybe something to that "size does matter" question.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version