Self Medicating > General DIY

An Unusual Speaker Cable, Very Very Low Inductance, Size Matters

(1/5) > >>

steve:
An unusual speaker "cable" using parallel smaller wires, with minimum expensive.

My system sounded optimum using 10 parallel 18 gauge solid wires in each speaker "leg",
for five feet long. Your mileage will vary depending upon your amplifier output impedance (Z)
and speaker Z. I used door bell twin conductor wire (in a jacket) from ACE Hardware,
and only paid $.17/foot.

The inductance, resistance, and capacitance is extremely low. Nordost has designed
a similar cable except using flat conductors mounted on a plastic substrate. Cost is
much much higher if one wishes to use pure copper.

Caveat: The ten wires should not be tightly bundled touching each other, as the inductance will
increase. The other caveat is that the "+" and "-" speaker wires should be separated and inch or
two for minimum capacitance. (That is nearly always a good thing.)

cheers

steve

Nick B:

--- Quote from: steve on November 22, 2018, 10:23:45 PM ---An unusual speaker "cable" using parallel smaller wires, with minimum expensive.

My system sounded optimum using 10 parallel 18 gauge solid wires in each speaker "leg",
for five feet long. Your mileage will vary depending upon your amplifier output impedance (Z)
and speaker Z. I used door bell twin conductor wire (in a jacket) from ACE Hardware,
and only paid $.17/foot.

The inductance, resistance, and capacitance is extremely low. Nordost has designed
a similar cable except using flat conductors mounted on a plastic substrate. Cost is

Caveat: The ten wires should not be tightly bundled touching each other, as the inductance will
increase. The other caveat is that the "+" and "-" speaker wires should be separated and inch or

cheers

steve

--- End quote ---

Steve,
Are you using the same wire on your new ic’s?
Nick

steve:

--- Quote from: Nick B on November 23, 2018, 09:07:07 AM ---
--- Quote from: steve on November 22, 2018, 10:23:45 PM ---An unusual speaker "cable" using parallel smaller wires, with minimum expensive.

and only paid $.17/foot.

cheers

steve

--- End quote ---

Steve,
Nick

--- End quote ---

The ic wires are 6N pure copper. The test speaker wires are just typical
solid doorbell wire from ACE hardware. Completely different wires.

cheers

steve

Nick B:

--- Quote from: steve on November 23, 2018, 01:01:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: Nick B on November 23, 2018, 09:07:07 AM ---

and only paid $.17/foot.

cheers

steve

--- End quote ---

Steve,
Nick

--- End quote ---

The ic wires are 6N pure copper and stranded. The test speaker wires are just typical
solid doorbell wire from ACE hardware. Completely different wires.

cheers

steve

--- End quote ---

Steve,
Just wondering....so does that mean that the purity of the copper wire is much more critical for ic’s (and maybe digital cables) rather than speaker cables?
Thanks,
Nick

steve:
I am going to change my stance on the speaker wires Nick. I have been tweaking my Modi 2, and the latest
was replacing the stock audio output jacks with Vampire all copper jacks. What an improvement, amazing. I
did not notice this much improvement with the modified NAD 521 (bypassed the analog chip with gain of 6db
and added pair of Vampire all copper jacks). We are dealing with approx 1 vrms in both components.

I would like to change my generic wires with 6N solid copper wires sometime. Pretty expensive though
and my car is ailing big time, so later. 

Cheers
steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version