Author Topic: Horneshoppe horns in the house  (Read 8025 times)

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Horneshoppe horns in the house
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2011, 11:40:32 AM »
Mike,

No problem.  There is no perfect speaker.  And we all have our own tastes.

BTW Bob Brines (like me) is a fan of the Baroque, so keep that in mind.  He uses a variety of transmission line designs (which I'm a fan of) based on the work of Martin King.  Throw in the "mighty" Fostex F200A driver and you can see why I commissioned Bob to build the first FTA-2000s.

I've heard the Abbeys once at a Fest (with the whizzerless drivers) and thought they sounded good for chamber music or small jazz.

I've heard The Horns several times and only once sounded decent to me.  To me they sounded thin (exagerated midrange) with as you say no real bass (typical of Fostex extended range drivers).

Compared to either of those, my speakers are bass monsters   :shock:  with more warmth and detail.

Offline Face

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2011, 02:31:27 PM »
I am always suspicious of fanboys!
You?   :rofl:

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 04:34:03 PM »
I'd be curious to know how many fanboys actually own the gear they are fans of?
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline JLM

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2011, 01:18:07 PM »
I'm usually only a fan of what I can own (not the silly expensive or huge monsters).  I admire a few pieces that are beyond my means/taste, and don't get out all that much to hear other stuff (blissfully ignorant), but frankly haven't heard much that I'd swap for. 

And when the time comes to replace my babies (commissioned speakers) I'll down grade in expectation of retirement (losing some hearing, eventually having more of the house to myself, and someday not being able to climb in and out of the basement audio mancave - or moving into smaller/less private digs).