Systemic Development > Bipolar System Disorders

Tidal Users- Loudness Normalization?

(1/4) > >>

James Edward:
I just came across this- https://audioxpress.com/news/tidal-implements-album-loudness-normalization-and-activates-it-by-default-for-mobile-players
It’s automatically set to default to this. Truth be told, I don’t understand all I’ve read about this, but I myself turned it off. It seems geared toward mobile users perhaps? A few articles I read mentioned bus/train/etc. listening; I’d like my listening uncompressed at home.
Truth is, I have only checked the settings on my Bluesound streamer in the past- when I went to the Tidal app itself, there it was, turned on. I’ve always thought my cd’s sounded better than streaming, even though I use the DAC input on my cd player, and regardless of bit rate. I’ll need days of listening to see if this is a possible cause, or just a red herring.
Thoughts anyone?

James Edward:
I should have said that this default has been in place for years, but I came across it because Tidal is transitioning away from MQA, or at least adding hi-res files to their catalog, and I was checking my settings in the Tidal app.

GDHAL:
I skimmed the article. IMO it's a good feature **ONLY** because they allow you to toggle it on or off.

I also think the term "loudness" is sort of a misnomer as that term already has its place in audio. It should be labeled something like "output decibel normalization".

I don't understand how they can accurately achieve output decibel normalization, unless the user selects all the songs in advanced.

Best.

Hal

GDHAL:
Something else to consider. The feature is useful or useless depending on your use case. This is why I reiterate the only good thing about it is that you can turn it on or off

I don't think phans of Ravel's Bolero would find much use for it. :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol:

James Edward:
I also have no use for it. I’m leaving it off- I suppose a party situation might warrant it, but otherwise no thank you…

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version